Problem with Bose head unit- what options do I have? 2011 model

smfitch

:
CX9
Hello everyone,

I recently took my wife's 2011 CX-9 to the dealer for a sound problem. She has a 10 speaker, bose unit with navigation. A few months back the bluetooth connection sounded terrible (static, and very "tinny" sounding. The speakers sounded like they were played on a clock radio). After a few weeks the problem went to the auxiliary cord and then the radio.

We took the car to the dealer but of course they couldn't duplicate the problem right way. Eventually they were able to hear the problem with while using bluetooth (but insisted everything else was fine). They suggested replacing the bluetooth module for $670.

When I picked up the car I was fortunate to be able to replicate the problem with the cord and FM stereo. The dealer admitted hearing the poor sound (he said he sounded muffled) but wasn't exactly sure the problem. He suggested an aftermarket unit. I've read of problems with aftermarket units and the hoops one has to jump through to make everything work.

He was able to find a refurbished head unit for $850 (+ $150 to install). However, he didn't sound completely convinced it was the head unit.

Any other suggestions? I thought it might be the bose amp but the dealer assured me either they work, or they don't. Does anyone know of a plug and play aftermarket that has bluetooth, satellite, and navigation that maintains all the functions?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

I bought a 2011 cx-9 that had a crappy CE aftermarket unit in. replaced it with an aftermarket android unit and considerable wiring and tweaking to retain the ability for adjusting clock and infodisplay. I'm happy with the outcome but I'm not sure you wanna get there. getting a refurbished head unit might be the easier choice. If you want to go there, i can send you the wiring schema.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

If you're considering going aftermarket find a reputable Car Audio install place in the area - Not Best Buy or Car Toys but a place that regularly deals in custom installs and has good reviews on yelp and such. They should be able to help you determine what the problem is as well. It's not likely the speakers since it sounds like its an intermittent problem. I know some bose systems have an amp hidden somewhere in the system and it may be that amp that's going bad or it may be the head unit. Like I said though, trust those guys more with this sort of thing than the dealer. If it was under warranty the dealer would just start replacing components until its fixed but I wouldn't trust them to actually understand the electronics or the troubleshooting process for it.

Back