Fuel Injection cleaning @ 38K miles worth it?

:
2013 CX5-GS, AWD
My dealer is trying to get me to do fuel injection cleaning. My car is a 2013 with about 61,000KM (~38,000 miles on it.) It runs fine, I usually buy gas from the same few gas stations (e.g. Chevron, Shell) and the car runs without issue. I can't see that cleaning the injectors is going to suddenly unclog everything and reclaim a missing 3HP I didn't notice was missing! Sarcasm aside, I can see if I was over 100K or perhaps 7-8 years on the road, but 61K KM is not a lot of mileage really..I'm betting my injectors are still shiny clean. I think they're just trying to upsell me on a service I shouldn't need yet. I turned them down this time, but I know they'll persist on my next oil change.

I've done some research on the net and found mostly conflicting answers. Some people swear by it, others say meh, waste of time. Results inconclusive.

CX-5 owners your thoughts on this?

I don't have a CX-5 yet, next week I will.

In general I'd say that if you're at all concerned about the cleanliness of your injectors that you should run a bottle of the best injector cleaner out there through it. Techron is what you want.

My dealer is trying to get me to do fuel injection cleaning. My car is a 2013 with about 61,000KM (~38,000 miles on it.) It runs fine, I usually buy gas from the same few gas stations (e.g. Chevron, Shell) and the car runs without issue. I can't see that cleaning the injectors is going to suddenly unclog everything and reclaim a missing 3HP I didn't notice was missing! Sarcasm aside, I can see if I was over 100K or perhaps 7-8 years on the road, but 61K KM is not a lot of mileage really..I'm betting my injectors are still shiny clean. I think they're just trying to upsell me on a service I shouldn't need yet. I turned them down this time, but I know they'll persist on my next oil change.

I've done some research on the net and found mostly conflicting answers. Some people swear by it, others say meh, waste of time. Results inconclusive.

CX-5 owners your thoughts on this?

You're right, they're trying to make some extra money. I would ask them what they do? Do they dis-assemble the injectors and clean them or do they dump a $5.00 bottle of injector cleaner in the fuel tank and charge you $75.00. I'd tell them thanks but no thanks.
Shell and Chevron are tier 1 fuels and they have detergents in them to keep the injectors clean. If you were using Wawa or USA gas maybe.
Trust your instincts, if the car is running fine leave it that way.

I usually keep my cars well over 100k and have never added anything to the gas tank except gas.

Yeah..... save yourself the money and don't do it. I've only ever used Chevron, Shell or Costco the last 15-20 years and never had an issue. I haven't even bothered to put in any injector cleaner.

Just follow the maintenance schedule in the manual. If they can give you a good reason why they believe it is necessary (diagnostics or visual inspection shows a need), then I would say it should be done under warranty since it's not part of the schedule.

I did terra clean fuel injector and combustion cleaner service @ 50k.
Car runs much smoother, less boggy in 6th gear, better throttle response and reclaimed 1mpg per IPC data.

Just make sure the service is actually performed because I've seen techs throw the cleaner in they're box/trash and get paid for the service.

As Viprez said; It really depends on the product being used and the person performing it. A dealer will be your best bet in getting one. 38k is a little early. 60k is more like it.

When I worked at Jeep and Honda...we both used BG products and they are great. A good cleaning is usually three parts:

1- In Tank Cleaner
2- Injector cleaner through Rail
3- Intake/Valve Cleaner through TB or Vacuum

I'd inquire more from your dealer and what they use. They might even let you watch it being done.

I'm curious about injector cleaning with direct injection engines. Does it really form deposits given the extreme psi involved?

I'm curious about injector cleaning with direct injection engines. Does it really form deposits given the extreme psi involved?

There are specific Direct Injection cleaners and processes. The good ones require some sort of disassembly and usually the manifold to have access to the valves. As far as getting deposits yes they definitely do. Maintenance and driving characteristics are good factors in how much. Lexus, BMW and VW all have TSBs and even recalls on some to resolve the issue.

There are specific Direct Injection cleaners and processes. The good ones require some sort of disassembly and usually the manifold to have access to the valves. As far as getting deposits yes they definitely do. Maintenance and driving characteristics are good factors in how much. Lexus, BMW and VW all have TSBs and even recalls on some to resolve the issue.

For the injectors themselves, or the heads/valves?

For the valves mainly. The injectors would be the normal "induction/fuel system cleaning" which is the 3 part process as listed above.

I'm very skeptical as to whether or not the injectors ever need it. Even 40psi fuel-injectors don't need it in MY experience. Of course, keep in mind the highest mileage vehicle in my family is only 400K miles or so. SO maybe at some point down the road?

I'm very skeptical as to whether or not the injectors ever need it. Even 40psi fuel-injectors don't need it in MY experience. Of course, keep in mind the highest mileage vehicle in my family is only 400K miles or so. SO maybe at some point down the road?

Injectors don't need it as much compared to other parts no...the three part kit also runs it through the throttle body, intake manifold and the cylinder head where I believe is most effective and can notice the difference. You can tell how good they work by how much smoke comes out the tailpipe. If you have a vehicle with 400k on it I probably would not due it other than a regular throttle body cleaning. I have seen high mileage (carboned up engines) where large pieces of carbon brake off and can clog or damage valve train.

In my CX5 I'm trying to take precautions to avoid such build up or need for cleanings by running Ethanol Free gas and High Moly Content Oil (Redline) and changing oil every 5k miles. When warranty runs out I will add a catch can.

Being Italian I'm also a firm believer in the Italian Tune Up...which is also part of the Lexus TSB (drive car hard sometimes)

Thanks guys. I passed and the car is running great. That is until the battery died last night stranding me in the snow and rain. At least that isn't injector related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My yellowtop failed me miserably on lifetime. Less than 3 years, although the performance during was excellent. I decided to go with a diehard AGM (same type of battery) from sears. It cost me less, actually beat out the yellowtop on some specs, and my warranty is on file with sears so i don't have to worry about about the reciept or something of it fails prematurely.

Back