Rim Size

:
Mazda Protege5
Hello, I have a question about changing rims on my 2003 P5. I know stock is 16" rim, if I go to a 17" rim won't that mess with my speedometer reading? Is there a way to keep the speedo showing the correct speed? All you members that changed your wheel size, what did you do to keep the speedo reading right? Thanks for the help!

Use an online tire size calculator and enter your current rim and tire size. It will show the outside tire diameter. Now put in 17 for rim instaed of 16. Generally if you go 1 size wider and one size lower profile sidewall you'll end up with same outside diameter. Like 195/60/16 and you want to go with 17" rim then a 205/55/17 or 205/50/17 will end up being very very close to the original outside diameter. The other thing to consider is the offset of the new rim. Too much or too little compared to oem will either have you rubbing on fender arch or strut body. IIRC, the oem rims = +45mm. More will move you towards fender arch, less will move tire towards strut body, again, IIRC. Also think there is a stickied thread with a lot of this info......lemme see if I can find it.

Hello, I have a question about changing rims on my 2003 P5. I know stock is 16" rim, if I go to a 17" rim won't that mess with my speedometer reading? Is there a way to keep the speedo showing the correct speed? All you members that changed your wheel size, what did you do to keep the speedo reading right? Thanks for the help!

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I use the above one a lot, I like the visual comparison too as well as all the tech.

Use an online tire size calculator and enter your current rim and tire size. It will show the outside tire diameter. Now put in 17 for rim instaed of 16. Generally if you go 1 size wider and one size lower profile sidewall you'll end up with same outside diameter. Like 195/60/16 and you want to go with 17" rim then a 205/55/17 or 205/50/17 will end up being very very close to the original outside diameter. The other thing to consider is the offset of the new rim. Too much or too little compared to oem will either have you rubbing on fender arch or strut body. IIRC, the oem rims = +45mm. More will move you towards fender arch, less will move tire towards strut body, again, IIRC. Also think there is a stickied thread with a lot of this info......lemme see if I can find it.

Factory offset is +50mm.

215/40 and 215/45-17 fit the best on a P5, with a +40mm offset.

Your speedometer will read correctly as long as the overall diameter of your new/old tires is the same.

Back