Half of serpentine belt brown

X-Tanker

:
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Leaving on a 550 mile trip in the morning so I thought I'd check my oil. Pop the hood and notice that half of my serpentine belt has turned brown. I assume this is probably rust coming off of something since I was able to wipe a spot of it off. The belt itself looks ok (no cracking or anything). It's a 2009 with ~73k miles. I'm sure it's the original belt (I've owned since 32k). Car runs fine and no unusual noises from the engine. It's been a few weeks since I had the hood up and I'm fairly confident the brown wasn't there. Any ideas what could be the cause and if it's something to worry about? Thanks.
20161118_215547_zpsbglivcuo.jpg

The water pump pulley is painted black, over time the paint wears off where the belt runs and the bare metal starts to rust. Not really a big deal but it can cause a squeak noise after a while. You can replace the belt but you need to replace the pulley if you don't want the new belt to turn brown.

+ 1 @ hornsfun10609

I have the same problem.But I think is not necessary change the pump...problem of rust is only on cover ( external site ) of pulley.Pump of mine is ok ( 100000 km ).Cleaning a superficial rust on the cover with cloth is enough.

Back