2016 CX-9 Infotainment System problems - V59 Update

My Screen randomly goes black since I picked up my CX-9 at the end of Aug. Such a pain when parallel parking and you lose your display.
The dealer stalled me for months saying that V59 wasn't ready yet but that when it was it would fix my issues. It didn't.
Now they've finally agree'd to replace my system after I called and complained to customer service and they issued my a ticket number but conveniently its "on back order"
Yup. Same issue with me. Called Mazda, got a case number. Went multiple more times to the dealer,even though customer service recommend a hardware swap, Mazda delayed it due to the software change. Finally, once they installed v59 and the issue worsened, they decided to replaced the head unit. It was on backorder and I had to wait two weeks, but it was worth it. I haven't had any issues since then. Just a slow boot time where the Mazda logo wouldn't go away until the unit reboot itself and everything worked again. But no more black screen. I'm not longer frustrated when I drive!
It's annoying that Mazda knows this is a problem and they know the fix yet, they keep delaying or don't have enough parts in spares. They should identify the batch number of units damaged and just do a recall

Last edited:
I am taking mine in tomorrow for an oil change and to see what they are going to do about the infotainment system. It has progressively gotten worse and is happening all the time. I will report back later with what the dealer says.

Not sure if this has been reported in other forums but the V59 update also removes the tachometer option in your HUD. If your tach is on when they do the update you can't turn it off, if its off when they do the update you can never turn it back on. The option is just gone in my menu.

Just picked car up from the dealer. Oil changed and they updated to V59. Dealer said that they have had customers where v59 fixed the issue and others where unit had to be replaced, but they can't replace the unit until they try the updated firmware and see if the problem happens again. The good news is I drove from the dealer to my office and the screen didn't go black. We shall see.

Just picked car up from the dealer. Oil changed and they updated to V59. Dealer said that they have had customers where v59 fixed the issue and others where unit had to be replaced, but they can't replace the unit until they try the updated firmware and see if the problem happens again. The good news is I drove from the dealer to my office and the screen didn't go black. We shall see.
How many km or miles for the oil change?

Do you request synthetic oil?

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Not sure if this has been reported in other forums but the V59 update also removes the tachometer option in your HUD. If your tach is on when they do the update you can't turn it off, if its off when they do the update you can never turn it back on. The option is just gone in my menu.

Yup. I posted it on the first post with a workaround. They didn't remove the tach, jut the option to disable it. What I did was before getting the update, was to save my settings to the seat memory. [1] without tach [2] with the tach. That way I can turn it on/off. Check both key fob to see if any of the settings has the option you want.

5000 miles. They used synthetic oil. On day two with no black screen.

I was one of the ones that had to have the unit replaced. It was definitely hardware related for me. V59 actually made the problem a lot worse for me. It went from one crash to multiple crashes a day (it took a few days for it to manifest). I haven't had any issues since replacing it. My issues now are software related:

1) Tach settings
2) Unable to set/change Speed warning
3) Upon turning the car on and using Voice Dialing I get "Processing phone book and audio pronunciation, try again later"
4) Slow boot times

those are the majors.

Well, SDL, unfortunately you were spot on. After a few days, I got the black screen of death. It happened on the way to work this morning. I drove straight to my dealer and brought out the service manager and told him I wanted him to see it first hand so they did not have to verify the problem later. Scheduled for next Tuesday to replace the unit. Will report back after. Very lucky to have the information on here from all of you.

Well, SDL, unfortunately you were spot on. After a few days, I got the black screen of death. It happened on the way to work this morning. I drove straight to my dealer and brought out the service manager and told him I wanted him to see it first hand so they did not have to verify the problem later. Scheduled for next Tuesday to replace the unit. Will report back after. Very lucky to have the information on here from all of you.

Does "screen of death" mean a screen replacement? Or another module? My screen is also dead (unreadable, just coloured lines). My dealer has a unit on order, but its been 4 weeks.
Sounds like your dealer has a unit available to swap?

I'm not sure what they are going to do. I assumed replace the unit, but it could be another module.
You should get LCD display unit with build-in driver replaced. There's a separate main unit which runs the actual OS will not get replaced. Yeah if you started to have black screen issue which didn't happen before, chances are you need a new screen, not the OS update!

I have V58. I have had my car since October and for the 1st month, never had an issue with the infotainment system. Now it seems like I get the black screen of death every other time I drive it. I am going to take it in for an oil change soon and will make sure I get the update.
No, not the software update to v59! You need a "unit swap" under warranty!

Guys, this might be a bit off topic on this thread but for any owners using iphone 6 paired via bluetooth, are you able to access/download email and or text messages via infotainment unit? My Samsung Galaxy S5 works no prob except iphone 6 that can't access.

Guys, this might be a bit off topic on this thread but for any owners using iphone 6 paired via bluetooth, are you able to access/download email and or text messages via infotainment unit? My Samsung Galaxy S5 works no prob except iphone 6 that can't access.

Hi tekbis, would you mind starting a new thread for your question. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I am having a problem with the infotainment display now and it would be nice to keep the conversation on topic. Thanks.

All, I've had my 2016 CX-9 for 8 days and the black screen started 3 days ago. I am on V59.00.441.

SDL - Just so I understand this correctly, when you say you had the 'head unit' replaced, are you talking about the display screen (unit) or something else? I would like to reference this thread to the Mazda dealer and I would like to try to provide as much information as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to post, repost, and keeping us up to date. I had been happy (for a grand total of 5 days) before the display started to go black.

Cheers.

Hi tekbis, would you mind starting a new thread for your question. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I am having a problem with the infotainment display now and it would be nice to keep the conversation on topic. Thanks.

All, I've had my 2016 CX-9 for 8 days and the black screen started 3 days ago. I am on V59.00.441.

SDL - Just so I understand this correctly, when you say you had the 'head unit' replaced, are you talking about the display screen (unit) or something else? I would like to reference this thread to the Mazda dealer and I would like to try to provide as much information as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to post, repost, and keeping us up to date. I had been happy (for a grand total of 5 days) before the display started to go black.

Cheers.

For you I've deleted the post...hope you're happy now. Good luck with your issues....

Cheers.

The head display is the LCD screen. What's visible on top of the dashboard. That's what they replaced for me to fix the blackscreen last month and I haven't had any issues so far. V59 is laggy and annoying, but that's it. All your settings should be saved in the main unit (beneath the dashboard - what you can't see).

Take it back to the dealership and tell them the problem and the solution. They have probably done a few swaps nationwide that Mazda Tech should be well aware of the problem and the fix. It might take a couple weeks to get a replacement unit, but that should take care of the issue.
Hang in there, it'll get better once you get it replaced. I remember how frustrated I was every day while driving.

I had a problem with my infotainment system just shutting down when I 1st got my cx-9 GT. Very annoying. I went to the dealership and asked them to do a hard reset and pull the fuse as well. They did it and my problem when away. Hope it helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks SDL and Chosen12b.

I have sent the sales manager a picture of the black screen while the car was in the R position. Also sent him reference to this thread. I'll see what they say but I will insist they replace the LCD screen.

I much appreciate this forum and everyone's input.

Cheers.

I got my car back about a week ago but have been out of town without the car, so time will tell if the fix they implemented will work. My screen was going black constantly. The work order states "the technician verified internal fault with CMU. Tech replaced CMU." Unfortunately, it erased all of my saved channels and gps locations. I am hopeful that this will fix the problem, although from other posts, it appears that the screen needs to be replaced. I will report back with periodically to let you all know if this fixed the issue. Fingers crossed.

Well, day 2 after getting the car back after they replaced the CMU, the screen went black while I was driving. I took a video with my iphone so the dealer could see. In a nutshell, the firmware update did not work. The replacement of the CMU did not work. I am hoping they will now replace the screen which appears to be the only successful solution. The car is at the dealer this morning so they can "evaluate" the situation. I will keep this forum updated with my progress in hopes that it can help others who are having this same issue.

Back