2016 CX-9 Infotainment System problems - V59 Update

In summary, the problem on your infotainment system is at least unsolvable by new OS version 59, hence the only solution is to replace the whole unit.

V59 seems to have actually made the problem a lot worse than V58. Right after the update, things fit worse with multiple crashes per day vs 1 in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue comes back. After the unit is replaced.

V59 seems to have actually made the problem a lot worse than V58. Right after the update, things fit worse with multiple crashes per day vs 1 in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if the issue comes back. After the unit is replaced.
Try disabling sms and email sync

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I've done that. At one point I even didn't have my phone connected, it still crashed. V59 seems to have made the problem a lot worse.

This might have been answered already, but is it possible to revert back to the v58 software? I went to the dealer for them to take look at an issue I was having with my key fob for a 2016 CX9 Signature and they ended up updating my software without asking me. Now I'm have all sorts of problems. I just bought the car and drove it around for about 800miles with no issue with the infotainment system. Now after they updated the software it crashes and freezes constantly, not to mention it takes about 3-4min just to boot up when I turn the car on. It's ridiculous they did that without asking me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This might have been answered already, but is it possible to revert back to the v58 software? I went to the dealer for them to take look at an issue I was having with my key fob for a 2016 CX9 Signature and they ended up updating my software without asking me. Now I'm have all sorts of problems. I just bought the car and drove it around for about 800miles with no issue with the infotainment system. Now after they updated the software it crashes and freezes constantly, not to mention it takes about 3-4min just to boot up when I turn the car on. It's ridiculous they did that without asking me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes you can revert the infotainment OS back to v58 even by yourself with the fail-safe / backup OS. But the best is still go back to your Mazda dealer and ask them to re-load the v58 OS for you.

Yes you can revert the infotainment OS back to v58 even by yourself with the fail-safe / backup OS. But the best is still go back to your Mazda dealer and ask them to re-load the v58 OS for you.

Thanks for the Reply. Ill take it back to them and have them deal with it.

That's odd. I had to sign a paper acknowledging the update. I think when I get my unit replaced, I'll ask them to put V58. V59 sucks!!! Best to go back to Mazda so they deal with it and know that their update is crap.

Update #2
Edit: I just re-read this and it is confusing. The issues below are software related and not with the new unit. I still haven't seen issues with the new unit because I haven't had the opportunity to drive much. I'll update about the black screen and the new unit in specific later. But I believe the issues below could happen to anyone on V59.

Got my unit replaced today (just the head unit/display). I reported all the other bugs I saw with V59, but was unable to get them to roll me back to V58. I'm going to call Mazda Handsfree tomorrow. Overall:

1. Slow bootup times
2. Dial by voice says "Processing phonebook at this time, try again later" after a few minutes of turning the car on. It takes 5-10 minutes for it to become functional
3. HD Traffic Map does not always load. Sometimes I get a black screen. Other times I get a partial map on the screen. Takes several minutes for it to properly load.
4. Unable to adjust Speed warning settings. They dealer didn't believe me, they said it was working fine (they tested it) until I asked them to change it for me. Then they were like "oh..wtf?" Yeah...
5. Annoying traffic warnings. Today, I got a message saying "A faster router detected, click continue to avoid current traffic conditions" - I knowing what a bunch of crap that was, looked on my phone to see what the "problem" was - Nothing. There was no traffic jam or anything. I continued on my original route without issues. What happens was last time I went that route and the system remembered I hit some traffic on the way, so now it thinks there's traffic even though the conditions couldn't have been more perfect.
5a. That implementation of "remembering" doesn't work. Either put a real time traffic system (not that HD radio BS) or don't put anything at all. When you start loading up the software with useless crap like that, that's when you get bugs and performance issues seen above. That and not freaking testing your work.
6. Tachometer setting ON/OFF is gone.

Last edited:
Update #2

Got my unit replaced today (just the head unit/display). I reported all the other bugs I saw with V59, but was unable to get them to roll me back to V58. I'm going to call Mazda Handsfree tomorrow. Overall:

1. Slow bootup times
2. Dial by voice says "Processing phonebook at this time, try again later" after a few minutes of turning the car on. It takes 5-10 minutes for it to become functional
3. HD Traffic Map does not always load. Sometimes I get a black screen. Other times I get a partial map on the screen. Takes several minutes for it to properly load.
4. Unable to adjust Speed warning settings. They dealer didn't believe me, they said it was working fine (they tested it) until I asked them to change it for me. Then they were like "oh..wtf?" Yeah...
5. Annoying traffic warnings. Today, I got a message saying "A faster router detected, click continue to avoid current traffic conditions" - I knowing what a bunch of crap that was, looked on my phone to see what the "problem" was - Nothing. There was no traffic jam or anything. I continued on my original route without issues. What happens was last time I went that route and the system remembered I hit some traffic on the way, so now it thinks there's traffic even though the conditions couldn't have been more perfect.
5a. That implementation of "remembering" doesn't work. Either put a real time traffic system (not that HD radio BS) or don't put anything at all. When you start loading up the software with useless crap like that, that's when you get bugs and performance issues seen above. That and not freaking testing your work.

wow, that sucks, I owe you an apology SDL, I was one of the forum members who insisted it was a hardware issue, but even with a brand new unit and you still have these issues is completely unacceptable,

I guess you're right, Mazda is not doing good quality control and testing on these software deployments...

someone else posted other issues with v59 on youtube:

Last edited:
wow, that sucks, I owe you an apology SDL, I was one of the forum members who insisted it was a hardware issue, but even with a brand new unit and you still have these issues is completely unacceptable,

I guess you're right, Mazda is not doing good quality control and testing on these software deployments...

someone else posted other issues with v59 on youtube:

No apology necessary...you might still be right, it could be a hardware issue. I just had it replaced so haven't really had a chance to test it (i.e. it hasn't blacked out on me yet). The issues I listed above were software related, completely separate from the black screen. I have a video (I think I posted it on the Owner's Thread...might have to cross-post here) with the speed warning not taking effect. Also have pictures of the Traffic HD Radio Map not loading. Even with the new unit replaced, the boot times were slow at the dealership..that I can confirm. I'm on vacation this week so I'm not really driving all that much. If I go without a black screen for the next month, then I'll consider it a success (and a hardware failure).
But the problems listed above, I think we are all going to have regardless.
The issue in the video is similar to what I describe with Voice Dialing not being available until after a while. I'm not sure why it has to process the audio book every single time, especially when I have contact synching disabled. This unit tries to do too much at bootup. They should add wait statements to their code. Load the essentials first, then the rest later (usb, phone, etc)

⋯ Got my unit replaced today (just the head unit/display). I reported all the other bugs I saw with V59, but was unable to get them to roll me back to V58. I'm going to call Mazda Handsfree tomorrow.
Do you know the unit is brand new or refurbished? And do you know if the unit came with v58 loaded and dealer did an upgrade to v59, or with v59 loaded from factory?

I hope some of the major issues get resolved such as black-out screen, and hopefully the rest is purely the bad software mostly from v59.

Do you know the unit is brand new or refurbished? And do you know if the unit came with v58 loaded and dealer did an upgrade to v59, or with v59 loaded from factory?

I hope some of the major issues get resolved such as black-out screen, and hopefully the rest is purely the bad software mostly from v59.

I am not 100% sure if it's new or refurbished. It looks new, it had the plastic on it. It took two weeks to get. The version never changed. What they replaced was the head unit. Apparently there are two parts to the system, the actual system (under the dash) and the head display (what you actually see above the dash). They suspect that is what was causing the problem. Just swapped that and all my data and settings were saved.
I've driven a couple times now since the replacement and so far so good. No crashes, just slow boot times and the other few minors issues. I hope that the black screens got fixed with the hardware swap. I'm going to wait until the end of January to declare victory, but it's looking good so far :D. I'm going to make it a point to call Mazda Handsfree support tomorrow and tell them about the other s/w issues. Hopefully they'll release a patch before my next oil change.

I updated my car to V59 and the most recent map update. I followed the guide over on mazda3revolution and everything went smoothly. It took under an hour.

48 hours in and no boot loops or nav loading issues. All of the major issues I had with V58 look to be fixed. There are still a few minor things but reliability looks to be greatly improved. I hope performance doesn't degrade over time like V58 seemed to do. I hope V60 builds on top of this and adds some new features like CarPlay!

I updated my car to V59 and the most recent map update. I followed the guide over on mazda3revolution and everything went smoothly. It took under an hour.

48 hours in and no boot loops or nav loading issues. All of the major issues I had with V58 look to be fixed. There are still a few minor things but reliability looks to be greatly improved. I hope performance doesn't degrade over time like V58 seemed to do. I hope V60 builds on top of this and adds some new features like CarPlay!

Can you verify if you have this problem?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5jezKNp82HhME1kYUdNX2FQY28

Looks like I do. I ran through the sequence twice and it happened both times.

I am ok with the default settings so I don't have a desire to change this. If I did, I would be really annoyed as this seems like basic functionality.

Thanks! I was going to do a factory reset, but I guess that won't fix anything.

I have V58. I have had my car since October and for the 1st month, never had an issue with the infotainment system. Now it seems like I get the black screen of death every other time I drive it. I am going to take it in for an oil change soon and will make sure I get the update.

I have V58. I have had my car since October and for the 1st month, never had an issue with the infotainment system. Now it seems like I get the black screen of death every other time I drive it. I am going to take it in for an oil change soon and will make sure I get the update.
No, not the software update to v59! You need a "unit swap" under warranty!

No, not the software update to v59! You need a "unit swap" under warranty!

What he said... The update will make the black screen worse. What they need to do is a Head Unit replacement. MazdaTech is aware of the issue and they have a procedure to test. They will send a signal and the unit will not respond and instead overheat causing the black screen. I had the same problem. V59 made it worse. They replaced the head unit and so far, zero problems.

My Screen randomly goes black since I picked up my CX-9 at the end of Aug. Such a pain when parallel parking and you lose your display.
The dealer stalled me for months saying that V59 wasn't ready yet but that when it was it would fix my issues. It didn't.
Now they've finally agree'd to replace my system after I called and complained to customer service and they issued my a ticket number but conveniently its "on back order"

Back