2016 CX-9 Infotainment System problems - V59 Update

Sounds like a bad batch of LCD screens.... causing the occasional black screens..... So swapping the CMU or software upgrade won't fix the issue....

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and I have a 2016 CX-9 signature. I'm on version 58.00.250 NA N. I've experienced system resets, typically when running navigation and when a USB key with a lot of music is plugged in and running. That said the system has also reset when just running navigation listening to the radio. I've also gotten a black screen from startup that lasted the entire trip. Any time the system glitches, the radio and HUD are always fully functional.

Is the general consensus that it's not advisable to upgrade to the most recent version? Any other thoughts on the source of these issues?

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and I have a 2016 CX-9 signature. I'm on version 58.00.250 NA N. I've experienced system resets, typically when running navigation and when a USB key with a lot of music is plugged in and running. That said the system has also reset when just running navigation listening to the radio. I've also gotten a black screen from startup that lasted the entire trip. Any time the system glitches, the radio and HUD are always fully functional.

Is the general consensus that it's not advisable to upgrade to the most recent version? Any other thoughts on the source of these issues?

For me the black screen and reset issues were a result of faulty hardware and were not resolved with the update to V59 and only once the screen was replaced did my issues go away.
The dealer did the V59 update first which removes the ability to turn off/on the tachometer in the HUD settings. Seeing as it was already enabled it was permanently stuck on which was fine by me.
When this didn't solve my problems they ordered in the replacement screen and in the process of installing it they disconnected the battery resetting my features. Now I have no tach in the HUD, no gear position indicator and cannot change the speed alert settings.
I'd go back to V58 if I could to retain those features and no longer having access to them despite being advertised as one of the cars features pisses me off to no end.

Asked my dealer about a newer NAV system update and they told me that Mazda has advised them to NOT upgrade ANY CX-9 infotainment systems until further notice.

My wife and I bought a new 2016 CX-9 two weeks ago. In the two weeks we've had it, the LCD panel has gone black 4 times. Our dealer ran diagnostics yesterday and told me that they need to replace the panel. They have to order one and will do the work when they get the part. It's too bad that some of you had to go through a lot of trouble before Mazda figured out that it is a hardware issue with the panel. Hopefully, future owners will get the problem resolved faster.

I just got my CX-9 back from the dealer, who had it for 3 days trying to diagnose various issues. Not much to add here except I learned that to change the speed limit warning you have to double click the threshold (+0, +5, +10) you want and the computer will keep it.
It still does not give me a warning in the HUD (speed limit does not change color like on the 2017 mazda3), the RDSS not work except with Radar cruise control on (pretty useless function as the car is keeping the distance anyway, works as I think it should in the mazda3), and the historical average fuel consumption still does not keep the histey, but rather gives me the same reading on all bars.
Maybe the next update will fix some of the stuff...

I just got my CX-9 back from the dealer, who had it for 3 days trying to diagnose various issues. Not much to add here except I learned that to change the speed limit warning you have to double click the threshold (+0, +5, +10) you want and the computer will keep it.
It still does not give me a warning in the HUD (speed limit does not change color like on the 2017 mazda3), the RDSS not work except with Radar cruise control on (pretty useless function as the car is keeping the distance anyway, works as I think it should in the mazda3), and the historical average fuel consumption still does not keep the histey, but rather gives me the same reading on all bars.
Maybe the next update will fix some of the stuff...

Interesting about the double clicking...I'm going to have to try that tomorrow and see if it takes and gives me audible warnings again.

Asked my dealer about a newer NAV system update and they told me that Mazda has advised them to NOT upgrade ANY CX-9 infotainment systems until further notice.

That's interesting...Last time I went to the dealer I was told that there was a new update coming soon V60 I assume, but I don't plan to go back there until my next oil change

For me the black screen and reset issues were a result of faulty hardware and were not resolved with the update to V59 and only once the screen was replaced did my issues go away.
The dealer did the V59 update first which removes the ability to turn off/on the tachometer in the HUD settings. Seeing as it was already enabled it was permanently stuck on which was fine by me.
When this didn't solve my problems they ordered in the replacement screen and in the process of installing it they disconnected the battery resetting my features. Now I have no tach in the HUD, no gear position indicator and cannot change the speed alert settings.
I'd go back to V58 if I could to retain those features and no longer having access to them despite being advertised as one of the cars features pisses me off to no end.

Have you tried your seat memory setting? I was aware of the Tach on the HUD issue and before I had my update done, I save TACH OFF in Seat memory #1 and TACH ON in seat memory #2 - It's a workaround to enable/disable it. The car has to be in P, can't do it while you drive though.

I had memory #1 saved with the tach on but it was gone when I got the car back from the dealer. I'm assuming they disconnected the battery.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SDL, hope it works for you.

I have found out the the RDSS does not get projected onto the HUD, but is rather displayed in the Multi-Information-Display only. I think it would be more helpful in the HUD like in the Mazda3, but I am glad to find out that I was the idiot that did not read the manual correctly.

SDL, hope it works for you.

I have found out the the RDSS does not get projected onto the HUD, but is rather displayed in the Multi-Information-Display only. I think it would be more helpful in the HUD like in the Mazda3, but I am glad to find out that I was the idiot that did not read the manual correctly.

I have this a try and you're right. Double clicking with the commander wheel makes the settings stick, however, the warnings are still messed up. I set mine to audio and visual +10 mph, and I get the warnings at +5mph. I had to turn it off again. Looks like a SW update is needed.

I have this a try and you're right. Double clicking with the commander wheel makes the settings stick, however, the warnings are still messed up. I set mine to audio and visual +10 mph, and I get the warnings at +5mph. I had to turn it off again. Looks like a SW update is needed.

Just as one more data point, when does the speed limit warning show up on the center display when in navigation mode?

I was getting blank screen every 2nd day when I first took delivery of the vehicle in Sep-16 last year, took it back to the dealership (Australia) and had new software reloaded, which got better, but was still getting blank screen at least once a week.

Mazda Australia HQ finally approved for what they called a MZD module unit replacement in Oct-16, essentially it's the CPU for the infotainment, nav, screen, and HUD. Now I'm still getting the blank screen, but it happen once every 3-4 weeks, though this is still a problem overall, and a very annoying one. Imagine using the navigation to get to places, and half way through highway driving and the screen goes blank. The only way to get it back up is to restart the vehicle, and it's not often easy to perform such tasks in the middle of high speed driving on freeway/highway.

I strongly suspect this is a hardware issues, as the screen only goes blank in the middle of the operation, i.e. it has to be running first before the blank screen event will happen, it looks to me like a memory capacity issues. I was advised by the technician to try for a period of time without connecting/syncing my phone to the unit and see if it makes any difference.

I haven't done it yet but worth for anyone here to try it as the more information we can feed back to Mazda the quicker we get a resolution.

Last edited:
I was getting blank screen every 2nd day when I first took delivery of the vehicle in Sep-16 last year, took it back to the dealership (Australia) and had new software reloaded, which got better, but was still getting blank screen at least once a week.

Mazda Australia HQ finally approved for what they called a MZD module unit replacement in Oct-16, essentially it's the CPU for the infotainment, nav, screen, and HUD. Now I'm still getting the blank screen, but it happen once every 3-4 weeks, though this is still a problem overall, and a very annoying one. Imagine using the navigation to get to places, and half way through highway driving and the screen goes blank. The only way to get it back up is to restart the vehicle, and it's not often easy to perform such tasks in the middle of high speed driving on freeway/highway.

I strongly suspect this is a hardware issues, as the screen only goes blank in the middle of the operation, i.e. it has to be running first before the blank screen event will happen, it looks to me like a memory capacity issues. I was advised by the technician to try for a period of time without connecting/syncing my phone to the unit and see if it makes any difference.

I haven't done it yet but worth for anyone here to try it as the more information we can feed back to Mazda the quicker we get a resolution.

I was having the same issues as you. They replaced the LCD screen (top part of the infotainment system completely). That stopped all issues related to blank screen.

A few times now when the car has sat in the cold, I get two or three reboots when I start it up. Last time I was reaching for my phone to record it for when I bring it in, but of course it stopped. :) I'm still running the predecessor to v59 - I'm sure upgrading will be the first thing they do.

The V59 update didn't stop the cold weather rebooting for me, it does it consistently at - 10c and colder.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I thought the cold weather was the culprit, but I assure you it also happens when it's not cold

I thought the cold weather was the culprit, but I assure you it also happens when it's not cold

After reading the whole 6 pages of comments, would you recommend to upgrade to 59? Did you upgraded from here
I just had a 16 signature starting of May, and the system already rebooted twice. I'm seeking solutions in the forum but none seems to cure the problem once and for all.

After reading the whole 6 pages of comments, would you recommend to upgrade to 59? Did you upgraded from here
I just had a 16 signature starting of May, and the system already rebooted twice. I'm seeking solutions in the forum but none seems to cure the problem once and for all.

It's tough to say. V59 didn't solve my problem of the screen going blank daily. It was the head unit (screen/top visible part) that had to be replaced and that solved the issue for me. If it's just a reboot and it comes back after a while, it might be worth it to upgrade, but I'm pretty sure that some people have experienced reboots with v59. I haven't experienced any reboots even with v58.
V59 makes things slower in my opinion so if you can live with a couple random reboots here and there, then I wouldn't.
I had to go to the dealer to upgrade .. they might have a more recent v59 version than what I have.

Back