Blower Not Working - don't think it's the fan switch

HokieP5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
My blower hasn't been working for a few months now and I've read all the blower motor threads I can find but still can't figure out what's wrong with it. The A/C light is green on every fan speed even though the blower doesn't work on any speed.

I removed the blower motor and connected it to 12V and it spun right up so my blower seems good. I also removed and took apart the fan switch and the internals, connector, and wires all looked great - no corrosion or blackened bits. With the connector disconnected, I ran a jumper wire from the fat black wire to each of the fan speeds and still nothing - that leads me to believe that the switch is not the issue.

I don't think it can be the blower motor resistor since speed 4 isn't working.

All this led me to believe it might be a relay/fuse issue, but my engine compartment 40A heater fuse and 10A A/C fuse look good. I couldn't find a relay labelled "blower," but I guessed it was the "(A/C)" engine compartment relay - swapped that with the identical headlight relay, still no air.

Is the blower relay the same as the "(A/C)" engine compartment relay? If not, where is the blower relay?
Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You need to use a voltmeter and poke around to see where you actually do and don't have voltage. Set it on DC, clamp the negative lead to some bare metal, and measure away. I'm betting that if you put the positive lead on the ground side of the motor in any "on" position it will read 12V when it should be ~0V, because it sounds like there may not be a path to ground from that point. A voltmeter adequate for this sort of work is only $10 at Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere I could buy a blower relay? Seems like Advance Auto/Autozone don't have it in their system and I couldn't find it on RockAuto.

I don't think I'll be able to stop by a wrecker anytime soon. Anyone have a link to buy online?

take out your glove box. inside there is a square looking chip that connects to a plug in. Check this chip. if its burnt or never been replaced, spent the 12 dollars and get a new one.

Sounds like you are referring to the blower motor resistor. I've already checked that and it's fine. I'm just looking for some sort of part number or other info on the blower motor relay so I can buy one.

Thanks! I checked the Protege5 section at Rock Auto but didn't think to check the Protege section. Lesson learned.

Back