Knocking Sound 2003 1.6i 16v

Jalishkov

:
Mazda Protege 2003 1.6i
Hello dear members,

I am writing this message in hope that someone could help me.

I have changed my head gasket due to a leak of coolant to the cylinders. Got the head resurfaced as it was wrapped (engine overheated 2 years ago), and changed 3 defective exhaust valves on cylinders 2 and 3, got valve stems replaced on all valves + adjusted the valve clearance to specification. Got the oil changed (I use Castrol 10w40 semi synthetic regularly), and set on driving.

Now I know timing is correct because I aligned everything by the book, and knock is not present while in Neutral.

Well the problem goes like this:
When I start the engine after a night it is not knocking at all, when I put the car in gear, something in engine bay area starts to knock/rattle, and goes away after few seconds. When I turn on A/C knocks like mad when in gear, if I shift to N it stops knocking. When I am in gear and turn on A/C it knocks, in gear with A/C off no knock.
Engine has way more power after all this treatment, clean new oil, sludge was removed entirely from the cylinder head.

I really have no idea what to do now, I just put everything back and have no intention to spend another weekend under the hood.

Noise seems to come from under the engine.

I removed the belt of A/C, which powers the P/S too and noise was not present, but I cant know for sure due to not being able to engage A/C or apply additional load on engine.

What could that be? can valves be the ones knocking? A/C bad? engine about to give its life to the creator of this world?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Joseph

Back