New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

"Paint thickness" This is a big one to me as I keep my cars for quite a few years and polish regularly.

And, are they still using the awful Toyo tires??

I thought CX-5's came with crappy Yokohama Geolander tires... maybe that's only on the 17" wheels?

I want more power, more functionality to the MZD, extra gears in the auto, otherwise I'll be buying another make which satisfies my needs.
A lot of the negative comments are justified IMO.

Curious, why do you need more than 6 gears on an auto gearbox? I've never understand this latest trend to go to 7, 8, even 10 speeds on auto gearboxes. Might as well just go full on CVT at that point.

Curious, why do you need more than 6 gears on an auto gearbox? I've never understand this latest trend to go to 7, 8, even 10 speeds on auto gearboxes. Might as well just go full on CVT at that point.

CVT is far superior when they are durable and reliable. More gears mean better acceleration.

The latest xtrail CVT is equivalent to 8 speeds according to the utube videos.
I'd like a higher gear for motorway work to bring down the revs to more economical levels, at the same time reducing noise.
The 9 speed CRV runs at around 1300rpm in top with the diesel engine.

I didnt bother reading this thread but unless they have some better wheels for the GT...I prefer the exterior on the 2016. Interior is sick though and the diesel is cool.

I thought CX-5's came with crappy Yokohama Geolander tires... maybe that's only on the 17" wheels?

Every Grand Touring with the 19" wheels I've seen on dealers lots have had the crappy Toyos so you must be right that the 17" wheels use the Geolanders.

OEM tires on everything are garbage while also being expensive. Still, that shouldn't deter you from buying any car.

Mine must be in the 5% - Michelin Pilot Sports [emoji23][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the Michelin Pilots and the Evo's (Yokohama Advans?) are the 5% that comes to mind. Got Falkens on the CX-5. Planning to either get Michelin Pilots or Continentals for the Mazda6. Either one is better yet cheaper than OEMs.

Yeah the Michelin Pilots and the Evo's (Yokohama Advans?) are the 5% that comes to mind. Got Falkens on the CX-5. Planning to either get Michelin Pilots or Continentals for the Mazda6. Either one is better yet cheaper than OEMs.

I'm running OEM on both cars. The M4 has OEM wheels and winter tires on it at the moment.

I'm running OEM on both cars. The M4 has OEM wheels and winter tires on it at the moment.

Hey how are Mazda's viewed out there in Germany? Considering Mazda is known to utilize many of BMW's designs and specs from a few generations ago. Like if BMW were to bust into the non-luxury market and make FWD cars at lower price points, they'd literally be like Mazda cars.

Hey how are Mazda's viewed out there in Germany? Considering Mazda is known to utilize many of BMW's designs and specs from a few generations ago. Like if BMW were to bust into the non-luxury market and make FWD cars at lower price points, they'd literally be like Mazda cars.

There's a FWD 1 series sedan in the Chinese market now. TBH, dodge neon comes to mind. I doubt BMW will make a car that doesn't have that "BMW driving dynamic" even if it is FWD.

But back in topic, I see many CX-5s here. They're pretty popular from I can tell, as far as imports SUVs go.

CVT is far superior when they are durable and reliable. More gears mean better acceleration.

The elastic band feel and drone of a CVT would never be an enthusiast's choice. It was developed to improve fuel economy. I'd take a solid and reliable torgue converter auto as in the Mazdas anyday.

Seems like 95% of new cars come with crappy oem tires. Especially non-performance cars.

Yep, Acura Integras were notorious for having awful, yet expensive Michelin MXV-4 tires. But the Type R had good tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE010's or something like that.

Has anyone else noticed the bumps below the headlamps? Could there be a headlight washer system option in some markets?

Yep, Acura Integras were notorious for having awful, yet expensive Michelin MXV-4 tires. But the Type R had good tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE010's or something like that.

Must have been an earlier version of MXV4.... I have Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my G35x. Great traction, quiet and astonishingly 8/32 (9.5/32 new) of tread after 40K miles.

If CVT was superior, all the luxury and high performance vehicles would already be using it, not going to happen! CVT transmissions can't take the abuse, and rubber bands don't outlast gears!

Back