New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

I'd definitely lower this one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that looks amazing lowered. New model is apparently lower by 20mm and slightly wider track due to wheel offset? I will have to reserve judgement on this new-gen. Really like the front end and interior. The overall look is definitely more mature. It may look minimalist to some but the devil is in the little details. Interior looks simple and cozy but classy.

As for sound deadening, thats a plus as thats been a bug bear of Mazdas. It does not mean poorer handling. Mazda will not waver from their Zoom Zoom philosophy especially if it has stiffer body, supposedly improved power and fuel economy despite the same drivetrains. Handling may be compromised if some wanted and complained about that lack of panoramic sunroof.

Will need to wait on the specs when its officially released. Mazda is probably holding back on certain features for it's mid-life upgrade/facelift. For now, this looks to be a good improvement thus far, though looks wise is always subjective. Will hopefully see more pics when the LA Motor Show is open to the public tomorrow.

Last edited:
Quote from http://www.motoring.com.au/new-mazda-cx-5-evolution-not-revolution-104620/

So whats changed? Despite the evolutionary styling, just about everything.

The wheelbase is the same as the outgoing model at 2700mm but the new car is a fraction longer (at 4550 its +10mm). Width is unchanged and the new car is lower 20mm (1690mm) which is a noticeable amount. The driver seat H-point appears unchanged but with the A-pillar moved 35mm rearwards and the screen raked a little, the new car looks sportier.

Track front and rear has also been increased over the outgoing model, lending the CX-5 a more planted stance.

More ultra-high-tensile steel used in construction of the body delivers benefits in crash performance and overall refinement. Mazda claims the new cars centre of gravity is lower and the actual body in white is stiffer (around 15% in torsion). All these factors should allow Mazdas suspension boffins to improve road-holding and response without losing decent ride characteristics. Itll take a test drive on local roads to really assess if theyve succeeded.

They didn't say 15% stiffer ride. 15% stiffer typically refers to chassis rigidity (usually torsional rigidity), which helps prevent squeaks and rattles from developing, in addition to aiding handling and ride quality.

Correct. It's a 15% stiffer chassis to reduce body roll and squeaks. The wider stance also helps with handling.

Might see .92 on the G-meter

I like the 2017. Many great improvements over the previous model.

The biggest gripes that everyone complained about before have been addressed with the 2017:

Better speaker sound system
Rear A/C Vents
More sound proofing & quieter ride
Better seat support
Upgraded leather
Heads-Up Display now available
Turbo Diesel

Will the diesel require Urea fluid?

The auto news article mentioned that they were able to reduce NOx emissions by designing a small , inexpensive urea injection system that did not reduce performance. I take that mean, yes, it will require fluid.

The exterior looks as expected. More mature fender creases and side profile. I don't care for the lower half of the new front bumper. The concave bottom seems odd and makes it look less aggressive to me. I might change my mind seeing it in person. Dislike the new rims most of all. Plus there's a weird gap visible at some angles between the hood extension and chrome grill trim where they meet at the lights.

The new interior doesn't do it for me as of now. I think the 2016-2016.5 dash has an understated beauty. So clean and functional. Not like a Ford with a bazillion lighted buttons. I still prefer an integrated screen too, despite the fact it's lower than direct line of sight mounted screens. Tweeters are a nice addition but it needs a woofer as well to really provide a nice audio experience.

Could care less about a power liftgate. I'd disable it if possible. Don't care about rear vents either. Always found them useless except on my 4Runner that had a rear blower to help actually push some air. Memory seats are nice but not requisite. Less road noise is a plus.

Overall I'm sure I'd find the newer model the most pleasing to drive versus all reasonable competition. But I see no reason to trade in my 2016.

Lastly, I thought one of the biggest stinks from folks was the lack of lighted window switches on all passenger doors. I can't tell from the pics if that has been addressed. But some of the interior videos might answer that question.

I like the 2017. Many great improvements over the previous model.

The biggest gripes that everyone complained about before have been addressed with the 2017:

Better speaker sound system
Rear A/C Vents
More sound proofing & quieter ride
Better seat support
Upgraded leather
Heads-Up Display now available
Turbo Diesel

Article says it uses urea, so probably so. I imagine this might take up some cargo room, or possibly the spare tire space and require run flats on those vehicles.

that chicken wire grill is hideous

https://www.google.com/search?q=jaguar+grille&tbm=isch

Jaguar-F-Pace-front-grille-at-IAA-2015.jpg

I am one of the 2016 owners. Outside looks fine. Improvements listed seem on track. Hate the interior consoles look. Vents are terrible.

I have an original 2013 with 140,000 KM on and was ready to go buy either a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel or a Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE, but I think this new CX-5 maybe just put me on pause until they are released. What is the anticipated release date on these new CX-5's?

A lot of the things that people complained about the CX-5 have been addressed with this update, except for the inclusion of the CarPlay/Android play thing. Quieter, stiffer, rear vents, reclining seats are all things that will keep the car competitive (I believe things like the Rogue and CR-V have these things).

Last edited:
Nope. Sound deadening. EXTRA! It's ruined. Totally ruined. Everyone on this forum agrees, the race-car they have come to know and love will handle like crap now.

Extra sound proofing on my 2015 car has made no difference to the handling of my 2013 car, just made it quieter and a nicer place to be.

My 175ps AWD auto averages around 38mpg UK, the manual did around 40mpg UK. That's pulling a 1703kg car for the auto, and a 1663kg car for the manual.

So I wouldn't get too excited. The DPF destroys economy, and you will get Ad blue which we don't have.

Which is 41 MPG (US), still dang respectable!

It doesn't pop up, at least it doesn't on other models. Mazda has gone to a fixed screen on top of the dash. 2016 CX-3, Mazda 6, ND Miata, they all have the fixed screen sticking out of the top of the dash. I agree that it does look sort of like an add-on.

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5 and older' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

you have been comfortable with your model not changing for several years now. enjoying that your car is still new because it hasn't changed. now reality is starting to set in that your car is no longer the top dog and that it is officially the OLD model. now inferior in everyway and you try to nitpick an find everything to downplay and just straight hate on the new model where you ask most of the rest of the world without this bias and the new cx5 is so much better. this design on the new model is as good as it gets in this price range. everything looks more refined both in and out. and finally a power liftgate, mazda has heard the general calling! you current cx5 owners downplay or give excuses why its not needed yet believe me the majority public would rather have it then without it.

the biggest sore losers it seems are the 2016 or 2016.5 owners who just bought their cx5 and either shocked that their car is already old not even a year after they bought it, or knowing damn well they bought theirs being informed a redesigned was just around the corner that they were ready to bring down the hate to justify why they didnt wait. or maybe they are mad that they couldve got a lot more discounts as mazda will try to rid of all the "old" cx5s and they missed that opportunity had they waited a few months.

dont worry this is normal and this can be seen from every car forum when the new version comes out.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of that framework that makes up our learning to live with it.

Having had two cx-5 I have seen changes to this car year on year, usually extra equipment, recent car a new dash, but nothing major.
This new car is IMO simply another improvement nothing to get excited about.

A new car would have more than 6 auto gears, apple play etc., increased power or economy.
Which I'm not convinced this car has?

I want more power, more functionality to the MZD, extra gears in the auto, otherwise I'll be buying another make which satisfies my needs.
A lot of the negative comments are justified IMO.

Last edited:
Some "other" important and not so important things we wonder about the 2017 models:

Windshield thickness
Exactly how much quieter is it
Does Bose have rear subwoofer
Speaker sizes/location
OEM wheel sizes
AC/Heating unit performance
Headlight cutoff beam
Sport Mode tuning
Any Internal/External lights converted to LEDs?
Sound of Horn
Paint thickness
0-60 times
Brake rotor size

And most important of all...What to do with the Spare Cubby <VERY VERY Important LOL

The exterior styling is ok, I prefer the styling of our 2016.5 but I wouldn't kick the 2017 out of bed. I am jealous of the rear seat vents, rear reclining seats and memory drivers seat. Not so jealous of the vent design in the front, they scream "look at me" and the floating display. I have not been a fan of that since they introduced it in the 3, looks like a tacky add on.

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5 and older' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

you have been comfortable with your model not changing for several years now. enjoying that your car is still new because it hasn't changed. now reality is starting to set in that your car is no longer the top dog and that it is officially the OLD model. now inferior in everyway and you try to nitpick an find everything to downplay and just straight hate on the new model where you ask most of the rest of the world without this bias and the new cx5 is so much better. this design on the new model is as good as it gets in this price range. everything looks more refined both in and out. and finally a power liftgate, mazda has heard the general calling! you current cx5 owners downplay or give excuses why its not needed yet believe me the majority public would rather have it then without it.

the biggest sore losers it seems are the 2016 or 2016.5 owners who just bought their cx5 and either shocked that their car is already old not even a year after they bought it, or knowing damn well they bought theirs being informed a redesigned was just around the corner that they were ready to bring down the hate to justify why they didnt wait. or maybe they are mad that they couldve got a lot more discounts as mazda will try to rid of all the "old" cx5s and they missed that opportunity had they waited a few months.

dont worry this is normal and this can be seen from every car forum when the new version comes out.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of that framework that makes up our learning to live with it.

I can agree, somewhat, with this post. Sure it's nice to have the latest and greatest but everybody knows that styling changes and sooner or later your hot new ride is going to be the old kid on the block. When we were shopping for the CX-5, my wife wanted to cross shop the CX-9 as well. We don't really need the extra space/seating room but she thought it may be nice to have, just in case. Upon arriving at the dealer lot, we walked up to the showroom where they had a new CX-9 sitting next to a 2016.5 CX-5. She saw the front end of the CX-9 and said "Ewww", that was the end of looking at the CX-9. She does not care for it at all. While walking the lot looking at different CX-5's I asked her about waiting for the 2017s as it was getting refreshed. She stopped, looked at me and said "if it has the front end of the CX-9, no way!". In our case, we are both happy with our "older styled" car. Just wish they would have added a few of the features from the 2017 a year earlier. ;)

"Paint thickness" This is a big one to me as I keep my cars for quite a few years and polish regularly.

And, are they still using the awful Toyo tires??

It's nice, glad they have HUD now: it really is safer IMHO

It looks like Mazda listened to what their market wanted. Suffice to say that "enthusiasts" of any brand aren't the primary market.

Either way, I'm content with our '16 CX-5 and don't feel a need to upgrade.

I picked up my 2016.5 after seeing the renders of the update, so this is no surprise to me (they were pretty accurate). There are things I like about the redesign, and there are things that I like about my 2016.5.... If I were shopping now, I'd probably still get the 2016.5 if they gave me a great deal on it. If I couldn't get a big discount, I'd probably wait. Either way, I'd be happy.

Back