New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

I'd definitely lower this one.
d7e8a89d54703f40f57cccf1ac956aab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5 and older' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

you have been comfortable with your model not changing for several years now. enjoying that your car is still new because it hasn't changed. now reality is starting to set in that your car is no longer the top dog and that it is officially the OLD model. now inferior in everyway and you try to nitpick an find everything to downplay and just straight hate on the new model where you ask most of the rest of the world without this bias and the new cx5 is so much better. this design on the new model is as good as it gets in this price range. everything looks more refined both in and out. and finally a power liftgate, mazda has heard the general calling! you current cx5 owners downplay or give excuses why its not needed yet believe me the majority public would rather have it then without it.

the biggest sore losers it seems are the 2016 or 2016.5 owners who just bought their cx5 and either shocked that their car is already old not even a year after they bought it, or knowing damn well they bought theirs being informed a redesigned was just around the corner that they were ready to bring down the hate to justify why they didnt wait. or maybe they are mad that they couldve got a lot more discounts as mazda will try to rid of all the "old" cx5s and they missed that opportunity had they waited a few months.

dont worry this is normal and this can be seen from every car forum when the new version comes out.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of that framework that makes up our learning to live with it.

That's actually rather insulting to many of us. I'm not a 'sore loser' or shocked that my car is a year old and there's a redesign coming out. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows their vehicle should expect a redesign. As it's said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me, I prefer particular styling nuances of my '16.

In other words, don't judge other people's opinions. It just makes you look like a jerk.

That's actually rather insulting to many of us. I'm not a 'sore loser' or shocked that my car is a year old and there's a redesign coming out. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows their vehicle should expect a redesign. As it's said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me, I prefer particular styling nuances of my '16.

In other words, don't judge other people's opinions. It just makes you look like a jerk.

+1

When I bought my 16, I didn't think of it as new, it doesn't look any different from 2012! redturboeclipse probably didn't mean to insult anyone, but giving a lecture that nobody needs is indeed insulting on the intelligence of others.

Does anybody know if it has heated steering wheel for US?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I would actually prefer a more traditional, boxy, compact SUV to the current crop of crossovers. I didn't buy the CX-5 for it's styling, rather the fact that it offered a manual transmission and allowed me to upgrade the audio to what I'm convinced is better than what the OEM will offer (even in the '17's).

I would actually prefer a more traditional, boxy, compact SUV to the current crop of crossovers. I didn't buy the CX-5 for it's styling, rather the fact that it offered a manual transmission and allowed me to upgrade the audio to what I'm convinced is better than what the OEM will offer (even in the '17's).

Boxy styling? Available manual transmission? You should look at the Forester.

I have to agree with Red, and many of these comments are quite funny to me actually. Our 2014 still feels very new and modern to us, but part of that I'm sure is the fact that we had the oldest 2 cars in both of our entire extended families for a good number of years. My wife had her 96 Corolla since high school, basically. So it's nice to now have one of the newest vehicles in the family, for once. I for one have never been one to always want the newest, latest, greatest all the time. I guess that's why I still drive my 94 Integra (the absolute oldest car out of both our families AND my entire workplace), and I still have my 2-year old iPhone 6 with no intentions of upgrading or changing anytime soon.

I like the new lines, a bit too much real estate under the headlights, love the new red..

Hilarious reading these negative comments from butthurt CX-5 owners.

"Car will handle like crap now because of extra deadening"

LOL have you driven it? Can pretty much guarantee once the reviews are out the reviewers will say it is much improved over the existing CX-5. The dash alone looks much better than the black turd you see in existing CX-5s.

Last edited:
Rear windows look bigger as they tweaked the belt line a bit. I bet visibility is improved.

You know, that's what I thought until I took a look at the renderings in the post above yours.

It actually looks like they lowered the roof a bit. Still, it's a nice look from the side.

Quote Originally Posted by RG_Flyer

Boxy styling? Available manual transmission? You should look at the Forester.

Quoted for truth! I traded in my 10 year old Forester for the CX-5, and the main thing I miss is that boxiness.

That said, there's a lot to like about the CX-5; I have a FWD Touring model, and don't miss AWD at all. Sub-8 second 0-60 times and good gas mileage in a car that's roomy puts a smile on my face (yippy). Zoom zoom.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more done with the space under the lights like on the cx-9. Otherwise I think the looks are quite good, not as edgy as the 2016's but more grown-up maybe. I can't really tell but it looks like some welcome features have made it to the car. I possibly see a steering wheel heater button under the front vents next to the seat heaters. Power lift gate I could take or leave. Rear vents will make many happy. I hope it has memory seats. Not sure I like the raised shift console, could make it feel either more cramped or more cockpit like. I was hoping to see paddle shifters finally make it to the cx-5. Hopefully a kit from the '17 mazda3 will be able to be retrofitted in. I really like my paddle shifters. I wish Mazda had stuck with the bar grill instead of the mesh like on the 3, 6, and CX-9. Nothing about it right now wants me to trade up. Now if they announce a performance version with the 2.5T lowered springs and sport suspension, then shut up and take my money. I would even consider trading up for just the 2.5T engine as an option and hoping I could make some upgrades as I saw fit

If McCrary the noise on poorly paved roads is reduced than that is a damn good point. That with engine noise and cross wind was a big bother in 16.5 If they have added sound insulation that is a great great addition.

No it's not. This forum went batshit crazy when I said sound deadening would be good.

"mazda is a race car!"
"mazda only cares about handling"
"sound deadening kills weight distribution"

Oh you should have heard these jackwagons on here! It was priceless!

TFL video on youtube, 2017 looks amazing, after looking at it i think my CX-5 front feels slightly bloated which is not very appealing to the eye, as i said earlier, side profile is very pretty to look at.
Imo it kills the 16.5 on looks - from the video the interior quality it upped a bit.

Still happy for my 16.5 since feature to feature 17s will be about a grand or 1.5K USD more.

When people find out that they are probably 50# heavier, forum members here will shun them, lol!

That's just about the only feature I wish our 2014 had, memory seats. I sort of hate power seats if there are no memory functions. At least with manual seats I can count the clicks to get the seat in the right place every time.

I just noticed the tweeters in the pillars. I wonder if the BOSE now includes a traditional woofer. The side profile reminds me of the Mazda6.

I just noticed the tweeters in the pillars. I wonder if the BOSE now includes a traditional woofer. The side profile reminds me of the Mazda6.

Ever since we got our CX-5 I've been saying the Mazda3 5-door looks like a squashed CX-5.

I currently own the 2016 (not 2016.5) and was really frustrated that the CUV market did not have rear vent seats. Very few do. Really will be jealous of the 2017 rear vent seats.

Not sure about everyone else, but I hope Mazda fixed the glare issue from the shiny vents...

I have a dark blue one - was seriously considering removing those and painting them dark blue. Not sure how it will look but hopefully a doable project in future for a noob like me.
Only problem is - I dont want to do center chrome furnishings dark blue cause its too much work.

Like the fact that 2017 is going to have a not so dark interior, my 16.5 looks black and chrome except in certain light conditions when it looks grey around the shifter.

Back