New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

Diesel 2.2 now available.

For info, on my last trip, I hit 50mpg (UK) :D

Which is 41 MPG (US), still dang respectable!

BOOM! I nailed it. Light exterior/interior massage, pop-up BMW style NAV, and nothing else really to speak of.

However, Mazda totally ruined this car now. It has extra sound deadening. handling has surely gone to crap. RIP CX-5.

It doesn't pop up, at least it doesn't on other models. Mazda has gone to a fixed screen on top of the dash. 2016 CX-3, Mazda 6, ND Miata, they all have the fixed screen sticking out of the top of the dash. I agree that it does look sort of like an add-on.

Count me in with the 'not a big fan' group. Besides the mechanical and sporting attributes that I like so much, it was the actual design that first caused me to fall in love with the CX-5. Bought a '16 GT in May of '15 and have a little over 35k miles on it. I'm not impressed with this redesign. I don't like the new sweep of the line down the side and I've always disliked the floating display. That in itself was one of the reasons I didn't care to wait for the CX-3. Absolutely in agreement that the front grille is hideous. It's really disconcerting to me that there's such a huge difference in height for the front vs. rear door handles. They looked fine with the crease running parallel above them but now there's an odd divide with the line separating them. As stated above, there are some definite improvements and I'm sure there will be plenty of people that like what they see. As for me, I'm hoping my '16 will stay trouble free for a long, long time. Maybe by the time I'm ready to trade it there will be another redesign that I prefer.
2016-Mazda-CX-5-color-edit.jpg

2-all-new-cx-5-studio-na-2-1.jpg

Last edited:
I really can't believe all the negative comments here. Just goes to show that there will always be disappointment with change, I guess. Can't please everyone.

My wife and I are newcomers to Mazda and the CX-5. We had been looking at new vehicles for the past 8 months or so, and I was really attracted to the CX-3. But it was just too small once I test drove it. And being a brand new model with no used options on the market, it was just too expensive. We picked up a 2014 CX-5 Touring in August, and we've really loved it so far, especially coming from a piece of junk 96 Corolla.

I don't understand why people are so mad about the new one. Same as people getting mad about the latest iPhone model I guess, about what it has or doesn't have, etc. I think the new one looks nice. Definitely not looking at replacing our 2014 just yet (not for 5 more years at least!), but like the style of this new model. Seems like people get worked up over the smallest things, like the front grille. Really? Be glad the grille isn't anything like what Lexus is doing right now. Now THOSE cars have ugly front grilles!

in video, the front doesn't look so bad, but still can't get used to the ugly air vents right in the center... just my opinion,
I know some may prefer the bold look.... at least rear passengers now get rear vents but still no rera HVAC controls like the CX-9. that grill and glossy piano black pillars is going to be a b*tch to keep clean, lol

Last edited:
Rear windows look bigger as they tweaked the belt line a bit. I bet visibility is improved.

I think it looks good. Very different from current styling, contrary to what many believe this will stuff the 16.5 prices - primarily for CG sellers. A totally new look feels fresh and older cars become a little less desirable - general perception matters when you are selling a regular production vehicle - if this was a one off limited production car that is a diff. story.
Sound insulation and rear AC vents are big factors and will make more people consider owning this - it just became more practical for its mass audience - the Dad's n Mom's
15% stiffer? Not sure about that.

Interior is not improved. CX-5 looks classy in its 16.5 avatar - it looks so classy that despite having similar noise levels people complain more cause its a luxurious look and the noise ruins that narrative.

Still a tall order for this car to beat 2016 sales or 15! I think this year will be the highest sales for CX-5.

Year Mazda CX-5 Mazda CX-5
U.S.*Sales Canadian*Sales
2012 43,319 11,301
2013 79,544 17,648
2014 99,122 19,920
2015 111,450 22,281
2016 YTD * 91,381 21,132

To me it is no difference outside overall.

15% stiffer ride - no likey.

I've already decided that my next ride will be EV of some sort.

I like it. But I'm quite happy with my 2016. Wouldn't trade unless something happened to my 16.

eGolf looks amazing except the range, its miles per KwH is impressive as well. Love the new Sonata Hybrid which can go 75mph on electricity. I would like to get an EV or a Hybrid next. Lets see - if Mazda teams up and adds a zing to a Leaf like 3 Hatch that would be a good seller.

I like the looks and functionality of my 2016 GT, but I think this redesign is nice. It certainly doesn't offend and I am really intrigued by the changes to the interior. Looking forward to checking a 2017 out when it's on the showroom floor in spring.

I think it looks good. Very different from current styling, contrary to what many believe this will stuff the 16.5 prices - primarily for CG sellers. A totally new look feels fresh and older cars become a little less desirable - general perception matters when you are selling a regular production vehicle - if this was a one off limited production car that is a diff. story.
Sound insulation and rear AC vents are big factors and will make more people consider owning this - it just became more practical for its mass audience - the Dad's n Mom's
15% stiffer? Not sure about that.

Interior is not improved. CX-5 looks classy in its 16.5 avatar - it looks so classy that despite having similar noise levels people complain more cause its a luxurious look and the noise ruins that narrative.

Still a tall order for this car to beat 2016 sales or 15! I think this year will be the highest sales for CX-5.

Year Mazda CX-5 Mazda CX-5
U.S.*Sales Canadian*Sales
2012 43,319 11,301
2013 79,544 17,648
2014 99,122 19,920
2015 111,450 22,281
2016 YTD * 91,381 21,132

The only way Mazda can save itself, and remain by itself, and keep bringing out more exciting vehicles, is for it to cave in and give a greater percentage of the population what they are looking for. It appears they are keeping things as sporty as they can to retain their brand identity, but at the same time add some texture and luxury without using anything that is bleeding edge tech but rather tried and true so as to keep it very reliable and increase satisfaction. If you look at Toyota/Lexus and Infinity/Nissan, I feel they are both trying to become a bit more SPORTY instead.

Last edited:
To me it is no difference outside overall.

15% stiffer ride - no likey.

They didn't say 15% stiffer ride. 15% stiffer typically refers to chassis rigidity (usually torsional rigidity), which helps prevent squeaks and rattles from developing, in addition to aiding handling and ride quality.

TFL video on youtube, 2017 looks amazing, after looking at it i think my CX-5 front feels slightly bloated which is not very appealing to the eye, as i said earlier, side profile is very pretty to look at.
Imo it kills the 16.5 on looks - from the video the interior quality it upped a bit.

Still happy for my 16.5 since feature to feature 17s will be about a grand or 1.5K USD more.

They didn't say 15% stiffer ride. 15% stiffer typically refers to chassis rigidity (usually torsional rigidity), which helps prevent squeaks and rattles from developing, in addition to aiding handling and ride quality.

That's what I thought, too. They certainly advertise stronger frame/chassis, not less comfort.

I didn't like the new one at first look, maybe because I'm so used to the 2016. However, after starring at it for a while, I definitely like it. The front now looks a lot more aggressive, like a predator's face grinding its teeth, squinting its eyes, focusing/trying hard. The hood extruding out in front of the grill looks like a sport car. The grill is quite interesting with the way it reflects light, though I'd plastidip the logo in a heartbeat :)

Overall the shape is bold and luxury-like, although the bottom black plastic is little too flat, could be a little more interesting. The rear reflectors are nicely curved into the black bumper. I still prefer the old two-tone 19" rim as it looks stronger.

Interior: the chrome trims are bold and strong with acute and pointy angles and corners, I don't have a strong opinion on them, they do look refreshing and different. The crease on the vents is interesting, doesn't look nice straight in but better at an angle. I assume in real/3D it looks better, creates a nice separation, and does give a spacious feeling to the dash. At least the Start button is more visible and easier to access.

Generally the new one does look attractive. The CX-5 has been the same for years, and it's time for a new looks while adding incremental functional improvements. Especially with the Tucson climbing up the ranking and looking too similar, this new look is much needed.

Some observations and questions I have from the CarAdvice article (http://www.caradvice.com.au/498941/2017-mazda-cx-5-unveiled-in-la/), which has the most amount of information I can find so far:

The body itself has gained 15.5 percent more torsional rigidity thanks to the use of ultra-high-tensile steel, which Mazda claims also aids in the new SUV’s steering response, now using a column-type electric power-steering system.

This is what OP meant by '15% stiffer'. Some people have taken that to mean that the suspension or ride quality is 15% stiffer, which I don't believe is the case. The CX-5 already rides fairly stiff for the segment as it is.

Mazda says the 7.0-inch display use a special ‘optical’ bonding method that reduces the glass area for a clearer image. The new Mazda CX-5 can now also project navigation information on the windscreen as part of the Active Driving Display system.

This sounds extremely similar to what Apple has been doing in the latest iPad displays (starting with the Air 2, and continuing with the iPad Pro models). Optically bonding the glass greatly reduces light reflection and provides a much clearer image. Look up YouTube videos comparing the Air 1 and Air 2 screens, and the Air 2 vs iPad Pro screens. As far as a car display goes, this should greatly improve viewing in direct sunlight.

I would be curious if the Active Driving Display is actually projecting onto the windshield, or is on a pop-up screen.

As for audio system, the new CX-5 gains tweeters in the redesigned A-pillars while utilising Harman (which will soon be bought out Samsung) technology for its connectivity.

The 10-speaker Bose system has been enhanced with noise cancellation technologies.

As an audio engineer, I can tell you this: The CX-5 greatly needed tweeters up front, as the system that is lacking them now is way too mid-range heavy to the point of sounding weird. So that's a very good change. I'm curious as to what 'Harman technology for its connectivity' means, but I think this is new for Mazda. 'Noise cancellation technologies' could mean a couple of different things. The most useful way would be a microphone that captures the interior cabin/road noise, and then makes the speakers play the inverse of that to cancel the noise out, extremely similar to what noise cancelling headphones do (and I think this is what the article means). But it could also means that while on voice calls, a microphone will pick up the road/cabin noise and cancel it out for the person on the other end of the call (similar to what every recent smartphone ever does). We'll have to wait to see, but the improvements in audio should be great.

Mazda promises the interior and body changes have resulted in notable noise vibration and harshness (NVH) improvements, with the new car now 1.3dB quieter inside than its predecessor at 100km/h when travelling on poorly surfaced roads.

The door speakers have been repositioned to reduce rattling in the doors, and there's increased sound deadening in the cabin. 1.3dB quieter is more of an improvement than it appears on paper, so that's very welcomed.

All in all, I think there are some really nice changes here. Personally, I test drove the CX-5 and then the Ford Escape, and the audio systems as they stand now don't even compare...the 10-speaker Sony setup in the Ford is *much* better. The Escape is also much quieter in the cabin in terms of road and wind noise, so Mazda bringing it more in-line is only a good thing in my eyes.

If McCrary the noise on poorly paved roads is reduced than that is a damn good point. That with engine noise and cross wind was a big bother in 16.5 If they have added sound insulation that is a great great addition.

Front bumper is very bad. Nose is pointy, almost like the CX9. I don't understand Mazda's philosophy, with these pointy fronts. It should be laid back as much as possible, for better mpgs.
Wheels are ugly, I agree about the vents and the radio. I'm glad, that I have my 2014 and I don't feel like trading up.

I take back my prediction - I think this will smash the 15 and 16 sales figures by atleast 10K more cars! Which is good thing imho.

Casual observation, but some of the more negative posts here are from people who have '2016 CX-5 and older' listed as their vehicle, so there's probably a good amount of confirmation bias going on.

you have been comfortable with your model not changing for several years now. enjoying that your car is still new because it hasn't changed. now reality is starting to set in that your car is no longer the top dog and that it is officially the OLD model. now inferior in everyway and you try to nitpick an find everything to downplay and just straight hate on the new model where you ask most of the rest of the world without this bias and the new cx5 is so much better. this design on the new model is as good as it gets in this price range. everything looks more refined both in and out. and finally a power liftgate, mazda has heard the general calling! you current cx5 owners downplay or give excuses why its not needed yet believe me the majority public would rather have it then without it.

the biggest sore losers it seems are the 2016 or 2016.5 owners who just bought their cx5 and either shocked that their car is already old not even a year after they bought it, or knowing damn well they bought theirs being informed a redesigned was just around the corner that they were ready to bring down the hate to justify why they didnt wait. or maybe they are mad that they couldve got a lot more discounts as mazda will try to rid of all the "old" cx5s and they missed that opportunity had they waited a few months.

dont worry this is normal and this can be seen from every car forum when the new version comes out.

The five stages, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance are a part of that framework that makes up our learning to live with it.

Back