New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

Ok...so more then an airplane. [emoji19]

Most plane seats recline more, but it is a nice feature and provides a little more headroom for taller passengers. Too much recline and the seatbelt would not work properly. I just leave mine in the reclined position all the time because it just seems more comfortable to me.

Its not huge but it is better and overall the rear seat is a much nicer place to be now. Thanks for shutting down what could have been an additional income stream tex!!

Last edited:
After reading a bit more on 17 CX5 - I am downgrading it severely - I think it will struggle to hit 100K Sales.
There are few reasons for me to be negative:
Downgraded EPA estimates - 31? now compare that with 34 or 35 that rogue or CRV has and it looks bad.
Early market goes to 2017 CRV in terms of sales - Sales bring in more curiosity and more sales as friends and family ask for - Mazda needs to time new release with tax returns as well.
both Rogue and CRV having 45% or more sales jump - big factor imo.

This may not be a bad thing - skyactive two if it does bring in a 36-37 mph highway and a 32 mpg city CUV that will do very well with improvement in certain areas as fit n finish.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but some of these comments are just gold. Man, were we all wrong about this version of the CX-5. 127K in 2017 and on track for close to 164K in 2018. This model is a winner.

As a side note, the reason I found this thread is that I was looking for another thread were someone said they could pause and fast forward their Sirus/XM radio. I think everyone (including me) said that could not be done and doubted that guy. Well, it can and I owe that guy an apology. As wacky as it sounds, on my 2014 CX-5, you can pause, rewind and fast forward XM/Sirus radio. Weird.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but some of these comments are just gold. Man, were we all wrong about this version of the CX-5. 127K in 2017 and on track for close to 164K in 2018. This model is a winner.

As a side note, the reason I found this thread is that I was looking for another thread were someone said they could pause and fast forward their Sirus/XM radio. I think everyone (including me) said that could not be done and doubted that guy. Well, it can and I owe that guy an apology. As wacky as it sounds, on my 2014 CX-5, you can pause, rewind and fast forward XM/Sirus radio. Weird.

I never doubted the sales would be there.

I just don't like the style redirection and that has not changed, but hey, that's just me.

Why would you find it strange that you can stop/start/pause/fast forward Sirius/XM? The programs they are doing now a days are basically recorded and are just recycled through out the day. Take for instance a count down show for the week. Content may be live for a morning or evening show and then recorded.

The pause feature is possible because also, it is a data stream stored in a buffer in the unit.

How are you able to perform these features given no apparent labled pause/fast forward buttons?

Why would you find it strange that you can stop/start/pause/fast forward Sirius/XM? The programs they are doing now a days are basically recorded and are just recycled through out the day. Take for instance a count down show for the week. Content may be live for a morning or evening show and then recorded.

The pause feature is possible because also, it is a data stream stored in a buffer in the unit.

How are you able to perform these features given no apparent labled pause/fast forward buttons?

I have a 2014 GT which has pause, rewind and fast forward buttons for all audio controls on the screen. When you pause, a timer starts that allows you to see where you are and go forward and backward from there.

Last edited:

interesting, i don't use sirius/xm (spotify ftw) but I imagine it must "stream" the data to you, in which case it "pockets" some of the data in a cache on your car's computer memory. that way you're able to pause, rewind, and fast forward. i don't think you could just fast forward though--you would have to pause it in order for it to build up the data. just a guess

Last night dabbling with Auto trader app on my phone.
My filters were: All of USA
2017 or up CX5
Under 20,000 USD - 1 result. One result!!
I added a 2nd vehicle - Toyota Rav4, boom 450 results. I even saw 2018 XLE under 20K with 20K miles. CX5 is holding its value quite well - specially the gen2 version. This does not mean CX5 is finally on footing with Toyota / Honda - it sure as hell is a positive sign.

As much as we hate it there are not too many people in the econo enthusiast segment anymore or dont know where there dollars are spent - maybe used BMWs etc as they are also more likely to work on their own cars. Mazda had made the CX5 heavier and more aggressive but the real improvments were NVH. Better than Audi Q3 - damn thats great.
I suspect similar trend with 6, expect 2018 Mazda6 to hold value really really good. I sometimes want to replace my Camry with a 17.5 6 Touring with Tech (those LED headlights) but want to extract more life out of my 2nd car.

interesting, i don't use sirius/xm (spotify ftw) but I imagine it must "stream" the data to you, in which case it "pockets" some of the data in a cache on your car's computer memory. that way you're able to pause, rewind, and fast forward. i don't think you could just fast forward though--you would have to pause it in order for it to build up the data. just a guess
Any XM Radio that can do this has some storage built in, like Flash Memory. I still question this works in a CX-5. It certainly does not in a 2016. Seems a strange fearure to drop.

Any XM Radio that can do this has some storage built in, like Flash Memory. I still question this works in a CX-5. It certainly does not in a 2016. Seems a strange fearure to drop.

Yeah, I doubted it but go figure, it actually works. I have paused for almost 5 minutes and could fast forward the song and go back. This is on a 2014 GT without the tech package.

Just saw my first red KF in the wild today. They're rare around here. Both drivers were ecstatic. And, yup, she was a she.

But now I don't feel so special anymore, right? (sadbanana)

Just saw my first red KF in the wild today. They're rare around here. Both drivers were ecstatic. And, yup, she was a she.

But now I don't feel so special anymore, right? (sadbanana)

Haha reminds me when I first got the 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. I got it end of 2013 and for almost a year I barely saw one on the road. It did feel special and I got a lot of stares and compliments. I remembered someone taking a pic of my car while it was getting tinted lol After some time I started seeing more and more then eventually there were 3 white hatches on my street and that's when I started working on modding here and there to make mine look different than the others. But yea I'm seeing a lot of gen 2 cx5 now so gotta get working.

Lot's of KFs on the roads here now

I got mine April 2017, one of the first from the dealership. Didn't see any others in my area for a long while. Fast forward to today and they're everywhere! Not as common as a CR-V or RAV4 but way more common than before. Made me a little sad I wasn't special but glad other people realized what a great car it is.

I got mine April 2017, one of the first from the dealership. Didn't see any others in my area for a long while. Fast forward to today and they're everywhere! Not as common as a CR-V or RAV4 but way more common than before. Made me a little sad I wasn't special but glad other people realized what a great car it is.

Same in the UK.

Back