New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

So after a day of the Mazda 3 (Axella)... I miss my CX5. It's so low, Japan has extremely narrow, and generally wall lined streets, so I miss the height. The commander button is quite nice, but still figuring it out, as well as the whole Nav system, which is very different and significantly improves over the 2014 CX5's. It's got 19" tires and rides MUCH rougher than my old CX5 and there's a lot more road noise. This one is an XDL (luxury package, diesel), so it's nice inside and the full tank has a cruising range of 750+ kilometers. The early HUD system is goofy, popping up under the windshield - glad the 2017 CX5 has a MUCH nicer one.

Is there enough depth in the trunk to fit a full size spare wheel?

Wow, I bet it is...Now I want to try one :)

The 3 and the CX-5 share the same platform don't they?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes indeed they do. You wouldnt know if from the internal room/spaciousness, but they do.

Matty - i noticed the same thing when i had the 3 loaner - you sit so low after being used to the CX5! And for those with old dodgy ex-basketballer knees like mine, gee the Cx5 is much easier to get into and out of!!

And I know what you mean by narrow streets in Japan - not to mention the open U section gutters in many less built up areas - if you put a wheel off the road into one of them, you ain't going nowhere!

Last edited:
See if you don't need the ride height of the cx5 but just the interior volume, that's a good reason to lower. With H&R it'll still be higher than the 3 but corner a lot better, especially with awd.

My car has close to 80K miles and I am thinking about it. Need to find the right kit and the right shop to do it. Have not worked on a car (beside an oil change) since my MG days.

Sounds like a people carrier might be for you then.

My car has close to 80K miles and I am thinking about it. Need to find the right kit and the right shop to do it. Have not worked on a car (beside an oil change) since my MG days.

And I know what you mean by narrow streets in Japan - not to mention the open U section gutters in many less built up areas - if you put a wheel off the road into one of them, you ain't going nowhere!

hey those open gutters are what helped Takumi Fujiwara win all those races in the panda AE86 on Mt. Akina! :p

Is there enough depth in the trunk to fit a full size spare wheel?

When I bought my SP23 I bought a new mag wheel [$600] and a tyre and went to fit it into the hole in the boot...it did not fit.

I was hoping the hole on CX5 was big enough to fit a regular spare.

I have a full size alloy wheel, but you have to pack up with 50mm builders foam to clear the wheel. Shelve is just above the boot lip but isn't a problem for me.

When I bought my SP23 I bought a new mag wheel [$600] and a tyre and went to fit it into the hole in the boot...it did not fit.

I was hoping the hole on CX5 was big enough to fit a regular spare.

Royal Mazda in SF just got two 2017's, one blue lower spec one, and a white GT/Premium with parchment interior. I gave the white one a good look-over after work today. The interior is amazing. Easily on par with the better VWs and better than any Japanese, Korean or domestic non-luxury marque I've seen to date. Materials are excellent, switchgear is solid, seats are great. The lower spec one looked like the wheels were way too small, but the GT is perfect. Has an athletic, strong presence but still a sense of lightness to it.

It really seems like their shot at going a class up was a success. Can't wait to drive it.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Now that's relevant to me

A local journalist review in San Diego-

"And the CX-5 stacked up surprisingly well against the Q3, GLA, X1 and NX. It beat the pants off of the GLA in terms of immediate acceleration, ride comfort and interior quietness. It was fairly comparable to the NX in those same categories. The Q3 handled better but had a cheap interior finish that left a bitter taste in my mouth. And, while the X1 beat the CX-5 soundly in terms of handling and acceleration, the CX-5 was by far the more comfortable ride."

Has BMW's turbo engines been improved? I know when they starting having turbo 335i's people said the weak link was the engine cooling system...actually a weak link for all BMWs. I remember switching out my plastic water pump for a metal one. The other thing I hate which cheapens th X1 look are the halogen headlights. Do they even have halogen BMWs in Germany?

The X1 is an overpriced CX-5 competitor with better driving dynamics and badge appeal.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Back