New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I watched the live reveal of the 2017 CX5 at the LA Auto Show.

• New Front End
  • New Red Paint
  • Heads-Up Display
  • Wider Stance
  • 15% Stiffer Than Previous CX5
  • New Bose System
  • Front Pillars Now Have Tweeters
  • Extra Sound Deadening
  • Doors Speakers Redesigned to Reduce Vibration
  • Rear Seats Now Have A/C Vents
  • Rear Seats Now Recline
  • Windshield Pillars Moved Back for Better Visibility
  • Diesel Should Be Available as Engine Option
  • Interior Now Has High-End Leather Upgrade, New Center Console, Basically CX9 carryover
  • Better Seat Support
  • G-Vectoring

(Not sure but looks like power lift-gate will be option)

Last edited:
MEayvdV.jpg

BOOM! I nailed it. Light exterior/interior massage, pop-up BMW style NAV, and nothing else really to speak of.

However, Mazda totally ruined this car now. It has extra sound deadening. handling has surely gone to crap. RIP CX-5.

BOOM! I nailed it. Light exterior/interior massage, pop-up BMW style NAV, and nothing else really to speak of.

However, Mazda totally ruined this car now. It has extra sound deadening. handling has surely gone to crap. RIP CX-5.

agree. Don't like the nose or the floating infotainment console. Looks lower too.

Ughh, totally agree, more like a downgraded refresh,

they messed it up, that chicken wire grill is hideous, I figure that chicken wire was just a decoy screen in the spy shots to hide a real splendid new grill design, never thought the chicken wire would be the real grill, lol just because Lexus uses chicken wire for their ugly spindle grills doesn't mean Mazda should follow suit, Lexus are ugly these days too.

and the interior design team should be fired, they made the ugly air vents the center of focus, those two center air vents with the hazard light in between them looks like a robot's face staring at me, lol. They should have just carried over the new CX9 interior layout.

For those on the fence, better to get the 2016.5 model now with discounts while you still can.

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/the-2017-mazda-cx-5-is-the-perfectly-fine-crossover-you-1789027235/amp?client=ms-android-virgin-us&espv=1

Last edited:
Ughh, totally agree, more like a downgraded refresh, they messed it up, that chicken wire grill is hideous and the interior design team should be fired, they made the ugly air vents the center of focus, for those on the fence, better to get the 2016.5 model now with discounts while you still can.

Nope. Sound deadening. EXTRA! It's ruined. Totally ruined. Everyone on this forum agrees, the race-car they have come to know and love will handle like crap now.

For me, the current CX-5 stood out among the others as lightweight and nimble with a very functional instrument panel and a manual tranny. What made it great for me was the ability to add top-notch aftermarket infotainment and keep it updated if I choose (CarPlay and Android Auto may be superseded by something else in my ownership period). At any rate, the new model takes away some things that were important to me.

For me, the current CX-5 stood out among the others as lightweight and nimble with a very functional instrument panel and a manual tranny. What made it great for me was the ability to add top-notch aftermarket infotainment and keep it updated if I choose (CarPlay and Android Auto may be superseded by something else in my ownership period). At any rate, the new model takes away some things that were important to me.

Yeah, almost all car makers have those pop up dash top screens now. Pioneer and Kenwood aftermarket head unit sales are way down, can't swap out double din units like the old days anymore. Also, so many things are now controlled by the infotainment, ie lights, locks, etc.

new CX5 is ugly,

New CX4 looks much better, I hope mazda decides to bring it to the states in the future.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the new release of the CX5 and kind of wishing before it was released that I should have waited as I just bought a 2016.5 GT just a few months ago. Now after seeing the new CX5 I can see I made a very wise decision in buying the 2016.5, I like it much better than the new version.

new CX5 is ugly,

New CX4 looks much better, I hope mazda decides to bring it to the states in the future.

Yes, a big fan of the CX-4. That is a very sharp looking car. With a 2.5T, that is the car I want Mazda to bring to the states.

I watched the live reveal of the 2017 CX5 at the LA Auto Show.

• New Front End
  • New Red Paint
  • Heads-Up Display
  • Wider Stance
  • 15% Stiffer Than Previous CX5
  • New Bose System
  • Front Pillars Now Have Tweeters
  • Extra Sound Deadening
  • Doors Speakers Redesigned to Reduce Vibration
  • Rear Seats Now Have A/C Vents
  • Rear Seats Now Recline
  • Windshield Pillars Moved Back for Better Visibility
  • Diesel Should Be Available as Engine Option
  • Interior Now Has High-End Leather Upgrade, New Center Console, Basically CX9 carryover
  • Better Seat Support
  • G-Vectoring

(Not sure but looks like power lift-gate will be option)

Bolded are wins in my book. The only real drawback for me is the front end. The actual painted front bumper gives off a Dodge Dart vibe to me. The fog lights are too small you can barely tell its there. Everything else about the front end I can live with. I like that it has a wider stance now too.

Change happens.

I'm trying to figure out the difference in the side profile. I've noticed a few things: It almost looks like they've lowered the beltline a bit, lowered and squared off the swoop that existed, resulting in less black plastic cladding below the doors. They've also eliminated the fixed glass at the trailing end of the back doors. The side look's a little cleaner, IMO, and if they HAVE lowered the beltline that huge blind spot might not be quite so bad. The taillights are also blended a bit better into the sheet metal.

The front end? I'd like to see what it looks like in person before passing judgement. I do like the slimmer headlights.

As for the rear, I don't really see much of a change at all.

I'm not really a fan of the infotainment placement, though getting rid of third party possibilities has been a thing in the industry for a while. I guess I could live with that if they at least included android auto/apple carplay. I think these two technologies will be around for the long term.

All in all, it looks like they had a fairly light touch on the design. That's a good thing. Why screw with your best seller?

Back