Cx5 lost compression - oil, turbo camshaft, EGR issue???

KarenDill

:
Cx5
2 weeks ago our Cx5 lost compression 1 mile into journey on a cold morning. Car not able to restart and recovered to mazda dealer. The garage has charged 1000 to investigate so far and has come up with the following :

There are carbon deposits in the engine which they say are caused by local garage (not mazda dealer) using synthetic 5w30 oil rather than semi-synthetic 5w30 (handbook only specifies 5w30) They want 2000 more to clean engine.
There is a turbo camshaft fault that needs fixing.
The EGR needs checking. As the engine won't start this will involve more hours labour @130 per hour stripping down engine.

The car is 3 years 4 months old. Mazda customer care not interested in helping in any way. 58,000 miles trouble free previous to this.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Last edited:
Those fees are a rip off, find another garage.
Deposits, can't be the main cause for loosing compression. To lose compression, something has to be blown wide open in the engine on all cylinders.
Do you have a diesel, or petrol car?

Those fees are a rip off, find another garage.
Deposits, can't be the main cause for loosing compression. To lose compression, something has to be blown wide open in the engine on all cylinders.
Do you have a diesel, or petrol car?

When was the last time you saw a turbo gas CX-5?

Yeah also carbon deposits typically INCREASE compression because they take up space inside the combustion chamber.

2 weeks ago our Cx5 lost compression 1 mile into journey on a cold morning. Car not able to restart and recovered to mazda dealer. The garage has charged 1000 to investigate so far and has come up with the following :

There are carbon deposits in the engine which they say are caused by local garage (not mazda dealer) using synthetic 5w30 oil rather than semi-synthetic 5w30 (handbook only specifies 5w30) They want 2000 more to clean engine.
There is a turbo camshaft fault that needs fixing.
The EGR needs checking. As the engine won't start this will involve more hours labour @130 per hour stripping down engine.

The car is 3 years 4 months old. Mazda customer care not interested in helping in any way. 58,000 miles trouble free previous to this.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Karen: There's really no big mystery here. Mazda has had more than its share of problems with the SkyActiv diesel engine as alluded to here:https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-rege&highlight=diesel+engine+issues+problems

This is not something an independent garage should try to handle (it sounds like that's where your car ended up). Rather, you need to get Mazda UK involved as these repairs are pretty pricey and you need to press your case with the manufacturer.

Thanks all. Yes it's a diesel. It is at a mazda dealer. Unfortunately mazda UK have stated they are not interested in helping at all as car out of warranty and service history is not all at mazda dealer. It seems the turbo camshaft is a known problem but that doesn't seem to affect their decision. Im really cross this wasn't a recall as reading about so many cases where Cx5s fail suddenly around 50,000 so often just out of warranty. So we seem faced with the decision to carry on paying 130 hour to investigate/clean engine out of our own pocket or move car to independent garage who we trust but then we have completely given up any chance of compensation from mazda. I have contacted ombudsman and opened a case in the hope that will result in something but in the meantime car-less and cross!

Sorry, my terminology is probably all wrong! This is how garage described fault to me. My knowledge of cars is zero so keen to get opinion of those with more knowledge than me. Thanks!

I'm confused by "turbo" camshaft. If the garage mentioned that I would be walk out lol. If you had a damaged cam shaft you'd probably have clunking or very noticable ticking. And you probably wouldn't lose compression.

I'm confused by "turbo" camshaft. If the garage mentioned that I would be walk out lol. If you had a damaged cam shaft you'd probably have clunking or very noticable ticking. And you probably wouldn't lose compression.
Damaged camshafts are part of the problem Mazda has had with the turbo diesel. I haven't followed this issue closely, but I do recall this being an issue.

Camshafts are wearing out to early? The metal shavings should be in the oil, or oil plug. Maybe an oil change, would confirm that.

The 2.2 turbo diesel requires a oil that meets certain specifications, here in Aus they specify one that meets the Japansese JASO DL-1 specifications in a 5W30 or the APEA C1 equivalent. Full synthetic.

I would say there is a fair chance that the UK version would have the same spec for oil. Your manual will state the requirements, and it won't just be for any old 5W30 oil. Apart from anything else the DPF will be damaged or destroyed by using the wrong oil.

There are many 5W30 synthetic oils for diesels out there that do not meet the DL-1 or C1 specification. Ones that are certified and specced for VW's, for example, do not meet the specs for the Mazda 2.2 turbo diesel. You need to be very careful on your oil selections.

Apart from Mazda's own version, I could only find two here in Aus that meet the specs - one is a VALVOLINE Synpower Enviro C1 and the other is a PENRITE Enviro+ DL-1.

If the oil that's been used doesn't meet the Mazda specs then it's likely to be a contributing factor to a engine failure and Mazda will, with some justification, walk away. In that case I'd be going back to the local garage who did the servicing using the wrong spec oil and be having firm words with them. They would be paying the costs of repair.

Last edited:
I’m afraid that the oil may well be part of your problem. It is important that these engines run on C2 or C3 oil which has a low ash content. Couple not using low ash oil with supermarket diesel and there is your problem. Supermarket diesel has little or none of the detergents that branded fuel has. The combination of poor fuel and the wrong oil wrecks many diesels in the UK.

Mazda do make it clear that the right oil should be used so a garage not using the right oil should be your first port of call. Take them to court if necessary.

I am sorry for your troubles.
But, ......
Full synthetic oil is NOT part of your problem.

European diesels have particulate filters in the exhaust as well as cats. They are very sensitive to the correct oil and fuel.

Last edited:
Been some time since I have been on here I had numerous problems with my cx5 over 6k of parts all under warranty being a ex RAC patrol I could see the righting on the wall with this engine got shot of it.
Where diesels enters the engine oil rubber valve stem seals and diesel dilution don't go.it swells rubber.
Traded up to a RX no problems

Back