2015 cx5 also has rear brake wear issues?

Demento

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD - Crystal White
I've seen the posts around the internet and mazda247 about rear brakes on the 2013/1 cx-5 wearing early as detailed in their technical service bulletin at http://www.thebrakereport.com/mazda-issues-technical-service-bulletin-cx-5-rear-brake-pads/

My 2015 mazda seems to have the same issue. On my 30k mile service at the dealer, the techs reported the front brake pads were 7/10 or their 90% green rating, whereas the rear brake pads needed replacement, with ratings of 1/10 and 3/10, or 'red'. My limited vehicle knowledge knows that front brakes should be wearing out first, maybe twice before rear brakes do. I didn't question it at the dealer, but now that I've spoken to a car parts clerk upon trying to buy new pads, they figured I should question the wear rates.

The clerk told me I should take it back to the dealer under warranty and report the car isn't riding correctly, maybe point at the shocks as a reason for the uneven wear.

Have others found their 2015/2016 cx5s to have these issues too????

That article states that TSB was due to salted roads in snowy conditions leading to rusting of parts. Our brakes are wearing evenly. Perhaps if you're on the coast the salt water may be causing issues? If so should be covered under warranty.

I've been to the beach maybe 50 times since owning the car, but I live an hour inland, and in southern California. No snow/salted roads. I doubt that's the culprit. I've seen some articles about newer Volkswagens engineering the rear pad pressure to be higher so that all the pads wear evenly, but even that wouldn't really explain this issue. Thanks for the reply anyways.

There is a thread that talks about rear brakes wearing faster on the CX-5. I think under normal braking more pressure is applied to the rear to aid in stability control and anti dive resulting often in rear brakes wearing much faster. Also some note a lack of lubrication on the slide pens resulting in pads not releasing completely and dragging...

In the old days the front brakes did wear faster, because the front brakes did most of the work. This was because you did not want the rear brakes locking up under hard braking. If that happens, the the rear would swing out in a panic stop.
The CX-5 has electronic brake distribution. This allows the rear to do most of the braking under normal conditions. Then under hard braking it can transfer braking more to the front to avoid the rear brake lock up. I can think of several advantages of the rear brakes doing most of the work most of the time.
I driving normally. I changed the rear brakes at 35,000 miles. I am not at 50,000 and the front brakes still look new. So I do have to change my rear brakes more often than before. But as a bonus I dont have to change the front as often. This is not a bad thing.
I can see all CX-5 wearing the back brakes first regardless of year. Unless you do a lot of hard braking, then maybe wear would be more even.

OP do you do a lot of commuting in SoCA's heavy traffic? If so perhaps the frequent braking while in slower speed is the cause due to today's electronic brake distribution systems being somewhat "rear brake bias". I've had this happen at your wear ratio in a 2010 Accord where the rears needed replacement at 22k and fronts were almost new.

Back