TPMS (or ABS?) light flashing while on highyway. 4 Light total.

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
Ok, about 100 miles down the highway from getting my 4 wheels re-balanced (related? see other post in wheels and tires section if interested) and going about 70mph, I looked down and I had 4 yellow lights, 1 was flashing (cant remember which one) 3 solid. think it was the TPMS flashing, P.37 Quick start guide. The 4 yellow lights were, parking brake, TCS, ABS, Tire Pressure monitoring system(TPMS) . the fault lasted 10 seconds. then nothing. I cycled the TCS a few times for the heck of it. on 4-38 to 4-39 the owners manual says the TPMS light will flash prior to engine start, then remain solid after start when there is a fault with the TPMS. mine was flashing while on highyway, so not a normal way to indicate a malfuction. it MAY have been the ABS light, it was one of the two middle yellows, not the TCS, or the park brake (see P37 Quick Start Guide) I dont have a check engine light illum, so I dont think there is a code to pull, but mazda might have a fancy scan tool that shows history, so off to the dealer I go. If nothing else want to document this event. Oh, didnt do the initialization of the TPMS, will do in the morning p.8 qick srt says:
park brake
cold tires
set tire px to 34
long press tpms set button till it beeps

What really worries me is nowhere in the manual does it say this is a normal way to show a fault?? 4 lights?????

as always, all comments welcome

The more I think about it, if it was just three lights, TCS, TPMS, & ABS ..... well that would make more sense right?? Dont all three use wheel speed data??

edit: nope, the yellow park brake light was illum, remember looking at the park brake switch as I was flying down the highway wondering what was going to lock up or fall off!! ha

Last edited:
TPMS (or ABS?) light flashing while on highyway. 4 Light total.

You should try to initiate TPMS system if you haven't done so.

In the following cases, the TPMS must be "initialized" so the system can operate normally.
  • The tire pressure is adjusted (up or down) in one or more tires.
  • A tire rotation is performed.
  • Any tire or wheel is replaced.
  • The vehicle's battery is disconnected, replaced or completely dead.

Back