Stabilizer Link P5 vs Escape

Got a question for you guys. I started hearing a knocking when going over bumps and stopped by the mechanic today. He confirmed that my passenger side stabilizer link is bad but driver side is good.

1st ? is....should I replace both sides or just the one that's bad?

2nd ? is....I have read that guys have upgraded to 2002 Ford Escape End-links because they were beefier? Can anyone confirm the fit and how they felt after installing them?

3rd ? is.....how hard is it to install one of these stabilizer links? I am pretty handy however, I do not have any impact tools!

Thanks!

Replace both sides, If car is standard height then 2002 escape end links (slightly shorter then p5 ones) are the way to go, if lowered then get the later 2010/2011 escape links (slightly longer then p5 ones)

JDM, since the links are mounted to the strut body, and when lowered it's only the spring height that changes, curious to know why you would get longer links if lowered?

Also, the link lengths are different from BJ1 to BJ2 at front & rear if I'm correct.

Replace both sides, If car is standard height then 2002 escape end links (slightly shorter then p5 ones) are the way to go, if lowered then get the later 2010/2011 escape links (slightly longer then p5 ones)

thank you!! What is the diff after you installed the Escape endlinks vs the protege ones?

Also how hard of an install is this?? Can I do it myself jacking the car up and no impact tools?

JDM, since the links are mounted to the strut body, and when lowered it's only the spring height that changes, curious to know why you would get longer links if lowered?

Also, the link lengths are different from BJ1 to BJ2 at front & rear if I'm correct.

with a shorter spring, the strut body moves upwards in relation to the body/swaybar mounts.If you lower the car 10mm and increase the end link length by 10mm you will retain original swaybar geometry.

its not a hard job if they are not rusted out ,you will need an allen key to hold the part from spinning while you take of the nut at ends off with a 10 or 12 mm wrench ,if rusted you will need to cut them to bits and grip them with a vise grip to stop them from spinning but its really not hard .,just be patient .hope that helps a little ,all the best

its not a hard job if they are not rusted out ,you will need an allen key to hold the part from spinning while you take of the nut at ends off with a 10 or 12 mm wrench ,if rusted you will need to cut them to bits and grip them with a vise grip to stop them from spinning but its really not hard .,just be patient .hope that helps a little ,all the best

Yeah I just did mine along with the front struts and they aren't bad at all to do. Hit them with PB Blaster then use a breaker bar to break the nut loose. Three of mine came off without even needing to hold the stud with an allen key. Do the upper end on both sides first so you can disconnect the sway bar from the struts allowing you to move it enough to get to the bottom ones with a socket wrench.

Back