Replace right taillight assembly

IvanH

:
Mazda, Protege5
I am trying to replace the passenger side taillight assembly on my 2002 P5. I was able to get the assembly off, but can't seem to reach the plug. The wires go into the car and I can feel along them for only a couple of inches. Can anyone tell me how to get to it?

Thanks.

Turn the connectors on the light assembly 1/4 turn and they come out, bulbs and all. Then stick them into your new light.

The whole assembly, not the bulbs

Turn the connectors on the light assembly 1/4 turn and they come out, bulbs and all. Then stick them into your new light.

Thanks, but the bulbs aren't the issue. I talking about the connector for the whole assembly. The wires from the assembly disappear into the body and I can't reach the plug. Does anyone know what has to be done to reach it?

Thanks, but the bulbs aren't the issue. I talking about the connector for the whole assembly. The wires from the assembly disappear into the body and I can't reach the plug. Does anyone know what has to be done to reach it?

I know, you unscrew the bulb receptacles from the light assembly and plug them into your new light. There isn't a plug in the harness.

unscrew the 3 nuts holding light to body and then you'll be able to remove the sockets from the light much easier............since you're replacing the light anyway. And don't lose the little rubber donuts that seal the mounting posts to body or it may leak

Last edited:
remove the side panel

I know what you mean... It's not possible to reach in and unclip the wire connector clip unless you remove the plastic paneling (pissed). I bought a 3rd party tail lamp assembly and the light bulb harnesses are different sizes so i cant use the old wiring.

ke20spinter left some instructions which I'm going to follow tomorrow...
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123639156-Tail-Light-Removal-Howto&

I replaced the left tail lamp assembly today after it was cracked and starting growing mushrooms inside. Unfortunately the light assembly connectors were a different size so i couldnt use the old wiring.

The wire connector is pegged into the backside of the frame about where my finger is
DknfCI5.jpg

Once you get the paneling open you can swap the wiring.
vehAkR4.jpg

Back