Best compromise winter tire

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I am going to put 17" winters on my CX-5 this year. Unfortunately lots of mixed reviews everywhere but really looking for a compromise winter tire that maybe isn't the best at one thing.

I am often in snow and compact ice in the mountains but return to sea level and then hydroplaning is an issue as snow has turned to heavy rain. I know a lot of winter tires don't handle that very well.

Experience with the best all-weather winter tire recommended. I need more than all-season in the mountains. The problem is I only experience this need for around 25% of the month in the winter months.

Thanks!

So, in other words, you're in the same boat as most drivers - you only really need a winter tire for about 25% of the time you're on the road.

I'd look seriously at the Nokian WR G3 SUV. They're not going to be as good on clear pavement as a good all-season, but they'll give you a noticeable advantage when you get into the situations for which you're looking at winter tires.

I swap tires as the seasons change, and use the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 for winter. First off, they are hard to beat for snow and ice performance. But just like most places, we get chinooks, up and down temps, roads turn into snot, and eventually the highways are clean and dry. This dedicated winter tire sounds and drives better than my summer OEM Yoko's do in the summer. . Point being, if Nokian can make their R2 winter tires perform like this, the WRG3 maybe the perfect "all weather" tire.

On my 2016 CX-5, I used dedicated snow tires plus wheels last season (225/70R-16 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK DM-V2 with cheap steel wheels). I drove to the North Cascades, Mt Baker, Mt Rainier, the Olympic Peninsula, and Leavenworth from Seattle. The car handled great in snow *and* rain. Traction was never an issue. I carried chains the National Park but never needed to use them.

I see you are in bothell. Please feel free to pm me if you're interested in buying my tires plus wheels package. I traded in my 2016 CX-5 GT. The tires have about 2000 miles from 3 months of use last season. 225/70R Blizzaks.

What do most run their winter tires at?

I see Tirerack recommend 3-5 PSI higher.

I went with 39 PSI..

Any thoughts or opinions for + or - pressure?

39 is good, have my DM-V1s on my 3rd season. Great choice on your part. Snow tires are like insurance, you hope they're not necessary, but you're sure glad they're on when it counts the most, during bad weather. IMG_2838.JPG

Kedis, when I bought my 225/70R16's (X-Ice Xi2's) at Tire Rack last year, they recommended 38psi, so I think you're in the right ballpark.

One question on your info in post #11. Your link takes me to a 225/70R16 size but your chart is for a 215/70R16. Which did you get? Either way, enjoy your CX-5's new shoes.

I believe the owners manual says add 4 pounds for snows..

Kedis, I am sure you will like the tires. If I remember correctly, I kept the pressure at 39.

By the way, these are 225s so your speed will be pretty close: 65 speedometer is about 64.23 actual.

With 15-20+ inches of snow in my forecast I will definitely be getting some use of these tires this holiday weekend. I have a feeling I will be snowmobiling out of the cabin this weekend. Fortunately all downhill if I have to take the CX-5 out if snow gets too bad.
So you got by those deep snows by the OE Toyo tires in the previous winter? I definitely would find some sort of cheap dust cap for wheel hub to protect the big axle thread gettin too much snow and salt and rusting!

We can only imagine snowmobiling in Texas, and happy snowmobiling! :)

Back