SoulArmored CX-5 Build

SoulArmored

:
2016 CX5
Bought my wife this car a few months ago. It's a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring with Bose/Sunroof and optional Soul Red Paint. She is coming from a V6 Accord Coupe. I'm a tech and have done a lot of cars and bikes in my 29 years of age. She knows the CX-5 wouldn't stay stock for very long and being a somewhat enthusiast herself she and I both enjoy this car a lot. We test drove just about everything similar both higher and lower price points.

I will update this thread with progress and any issues/recommendations or things I come across with the car.

Thanks
Evan

Day we picked it up. First accessories were front window tint, all weather mats, cargo mat and roadside kit.

IMG_20161011_170122_zpsha1qexvh.jpg

I will go over what I use and how I dialed in the Soul Red Paint in another post. The first modification I wanted to do right away was exhaust tips. I installed 4" rolled edge stainless tips that were welded on.

IMG_20161014_092843137_HDR_zpsbsqhiy9p.jpg

Good Choice. I was reading an article that ranked CX-5 Touring 2016 as the best SUV overall for bang for buck. Yes it even dissected the trims and ranked this as the best value buy.
Although I have never done any mods I was hoping I could - but don't get time.

I used 4" tips on mine. It wasn't until I got them on that I realized I should have gone with the 3.5", but it was too late. Just don't look quite right to me proportionally. But if you're happy with them...

I felt it depends on the tip itself. I held up a 3"/3.5"/4" tip to the bumper with old tip cut off. The cutout in bumper is 5". The rolled edge tip versus traditional makes it look a little smaller, similar to a stepped lip on a rim. I'm really happy with how it came out and will post more pictures.

Oh man that one looks super clean! Love the red color, but we like our 2014 in white also. I'd love to change the exhaust tips on ours. Factory ones look a bit puny, and at 56K miles there's some soot buildup that I can't seem to get off.

How do the OEM ones come off? Are they bolt-on by any chance?

Oh man that one looks super clean! Love the red color, but we like our 2014 in white also. I'd love to change the exhaust tips on ours. Factory ones look a bit puny, and at 56K miles there's some soot buildup that I can't seem to get off.

How do the OEM ones come off? Are they bolt-on by any chance?
They have to be cut off.

Correct. They are tack welded on from factory. I have seen some people clamp bigger tips over the existing ones but for the cleanest look cutting the originals off and welding the new ones on is best. There is now a full bead of weld around the new tips.

First Oil Change at 1k Miles. I'm going to be running Redline 0W-20 and a K&N Filter. I've used Redline products in many of my performance builds and have nothing but good things to say in regards to their products.

Property Specs to Oil. Meets Mazda Spec

ACEA Service Class A5 B5
API Service Class SN/SM/SL/SG/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 0W20
Vis @ 100C, cSt 9.1
Vis @ 40C, cSt 48
Viscosity Index 172
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ C 55@-35
Pour Point, C -60
Pour Point, F -76
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482F (250C), % 9
HTHS Vis, cP @150C, ASTM D4741 2.9

Next modification was painting the calipers black. I also did the rotor hats. Finished with a set of Gorilla Tuner Lugs also in black.

Will be getting some suspension work in near future from Ultra Racing and H&R.

Property Specs to Oil. Meets Mazda Spec

ACEA Service Class A5 B5
API Service Class SN/SM/SL/SG/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 0W20
Vis @ 100C, cSt 9.1
Vis @ 40C, cSt 48
Viscosity Index 172
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ C 55@-35
Pour Point, C -60
Pour Point, F -76
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482F (250C), % 9
HTHS Vis, cP @150C, ASTM D4741 2.9

Don't forget, our engines need moly, as do all engines running direct injection. Sure, Red Line is great stuff but there is a reason Mazda and others started using moly in their DI motors.
If ya read the "Bob is the oil guy forums" it seems a LOT of people driving other brand cars have switched to using Mazda moly oil and here, Mazda guys are switching to other oils.

Last edited:
Back