Motive Brake Bleeder adapter number?

:
2017 CX5 GS, 2018 X3 xDrive30i, 2019 Tesla Model 3
I am planning to replace the front brake pads on 2014 CX5 Grand touring AWD.
I have the Motive bleeder pump but the fitting is for European model cars.
Does anyone know which adapter will fit 2014 CX5?
TIA

But you will need to open a bleeder when you push the piston back. It's also a good idea to bleed out the end of lines.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

I have done many brake jobs in the last 15+ years and have never once opened a brake line or bleeder screw while changing pads. When pushing the piston back in, the fluid level will rise in the reservoir. Theoretically the level in the reservoir dropped some over the course of the life of the pads, and there should be room for the fluid to rise back up when pushing the pistons in. Otherwise a turkey baster or other syringe may be needed to remove some reservoir fluid to keep it from overflowing as the pistons are pushed back in.

There should be no reason whatsoever to do any bleeding while replacing pads or pushing pistons back into the caliper bore. As long as there is always fluid in the reservoir, then it's impossible for any air to get into the system. The only other places air could get in would be around the piston seals or the bleeder screws. But if that happens then you would see fluid leaking from those areas, and would need to address that separately. That would not be normal.

An attentive car owner will top off the brake fluid as it drops in the reservoir. Hence, issues if you true to push back the piston.

Fluid at the ends of the lines will be the oldest and most likely to have absorbed moisture. Bleeding the lines a bit helps pedal feel a lot.

But that's my opinion, Fwiw.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

In reality, though, you shouldn't add brake fluid unless it drops below the MIN line. The MAX-MIN range is there to account for pad wear.

I have done many brake jobs in the last 15+ years and have never once opened a brake line or bleeder screw while changing pads. When pushing the piston back in, the fluid level will rise in the reservoir. Theoretically the level in the reservoir dropped some over the course of the life of the pads, and there should be room for the fluid to rise back up when pushing the pistons in. Otherwise a turkey baster or other syringe may be needed to remove some reservoir fluid to keep it from overflowing as the pistons are pushed back in.

There should be no reason whatsoever to do any bleeding while replacing pads or pushing pistons back into the caliper bore. As long as there is always fluid in the reservoir, then it's impossible for any air to get into the system. The only other places air could get in would be around the piston seals or the bleeder screws. But if that happens then you would see fluid leaking from those areas, and would need to address that separately. That would not be normal.

You'd be forcing old fluid back through the ABS unit. This has been known to set off a code in some models if the fluid isn't particularly clean. You could literally ruin the unit. ABS units have a lot of intricate valving that don't always appreciate this.

Last edited:
You'd be forcing old fluid back through the ABS unit. This has been known to set off a code in some models if the fluid isn't particularly clean. You could literally ruin the unit. ABS units have a lot of intricate valving that don't always appreciate this.

Does the FSM specify bleeding brakes when replacing brake pads?

Does the FSM specify bleeding brakes when replacing brake pads?
You're not really bleeding the brakes, you're cracking open a bleeder valve to keep fluid from being forced back in through the ABS unit. I've not seen it in too many service manuals stating to do this. Entirely up to you, but you stated "There should be no reason whatsoever to do any bleeding while replacing pads or pushing pistons back into the caliper bore." Actually, on occasion there is.

Really it would probably be a better idea to just do a brake fluid replacement at the same time as replacing pads.

Really it would probably be a better idea to just do a brake fluid replacement at the same time as replacing pads.
You're right, wouldn't hurt, and you're in the area with everything apart. But I'm lazy, I usually do it when something has to be replaced like a caliper, wheel cylinder, brake hose, etc..

1118 fits on CX5 with the thicker rubber washer of the two that come with the adapter.

Back