Car cranks, won't start. Need help.

Alright, thanks. I will try and check it out tonight when I get home from work. I work almost all day on Saturday and Sundays so it is hard to find time for a few days. I will check it out and update soon.

Technically yes but some have bent valves when timing belt snapped at speed. Kind of a luck of the draw thing it seems.

Okay, so when I bought it, the guy told me that he came to a stop at a stop sign and then the car died. The diagnosis of that was that the timing belt had completely snapped. So, he had a friend put a new belt on it. Then they said it was this crank, no start condition. When I bought the car and took the valve cover off, I set the number 1 cylinder to TDC and the guy had lined up the I's on the cam gears instead of the I with the E for intake and exhaust sides, so at that point, I figured that was the issue, but when I took the belt off and reset it (properly) it still had the same issue so I had replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors with ones from the salvage yard. That is when I got to this stumped point. Any ideas on overall damage with that info?

So it never ran again after the belt broke?

Any bent valves should have been evident in the compression test. I'd expect it to be near zero on a cylinder or two, but you never know.

If a valve is bent, it won't close all the way, and the lash will be very excessive. If you check all of them and find any to be really wide, that's probably the cause. Solid shims seldom go far out of adjustment under normal conditions.

I still think all of your symptoms point to the cam timing. Read through the service manual carefully, and be sure that you have the right marks where they need to be.

Last edited:
Yes, it has never run since the belt broke and was replaced. I will have time to look at it tomorrow and Friday so I will go back through everything and try the belt again

It looks like this right ???

This is the proper way it should be, correct? I bring piston 1 to TDC and the mark on the crank should line up? And then I match the mark on the I (intake side) with the notch by the E (exhaust side)??

Okay, so I went out and pulled a spark plug and held it against the valve cover. I had spark and then it smelled like there was gas in the cylinder. But right as I had my assistant stop cranking the engine. It puffed out near the back of the intake. It looked like it might have been some gas and/or just air. Any ideas on this? It was on the intake side of the engine near the center. I could not decide where it could have come from. Any ideas what can cause that?

Back