Fuel line removal

hpmaxim

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I'm trying to get the two fuel lines on the top of the tank off. I relieved fuel pressure and got a disconnect kit from autozone. I tried the scissor tool and the green plastic rings and neither seemed to budge tabs at all. I then went in with dental picks and stuck them under the green lock tabs and over the white ring. But the lines didn't budge... can I just break the tab and buy new ones for like a dollar each or something?

If your replacing your high pressure fuel filter/fuel pump housing, (which you should, they're cheap and should be replaced), you can cut the connectors off the top of the housing.

It makes it way easier to disconnect when you can lift them up.... Keep trying with your tools and dental picks...

Pcb, yeah I should just bite the bullet and get a new filter. Mainly I just wanted to open it up and look around.

I'm not clear how cutting helps that much because you still need to remove the piece you cut off before reinstalling.

I did notice you seemed to be picking at it from the sides, whereas i was inserting the pick at the end inward.

Pcb, yeah I should just bite the bullet and get a new filter. Mainly I just wanted to open it up and look around.

I'm not clear how cutting helps that much because you still need to remove the piece you cut off before reinstalling.

It's not that big a bullet... Those are Canadian dollars too... You guys pay 3/4 and less shipping.

Cutting off the "tabs" helps a lot.. Way easier to work two dental picks at once.

A plugged filter strains the fuel pump and can burn it out.

Fuel pumps aren't cheap.

I ordered a new filter and strainer. I'm wondering if its possible that the fuel tank is deeper than the original, meaning the strainer isn't actually resting on the bottom...

I went and tried to remove the fuel lines again last night. The picks I was using are actually larger than dental picks, so I 'm wondering if I'm rubbing them against the tube too much, I'm absolutely positive that the tabs were clear of the annular ring and the fuel line wouldn't budge. Is there something you have to do other than lift the two tabs and pull it off? Can you buy the clips independently? It seems like that should be something that should be available somewhere. They're just molded plastic clips, wouldn't think its anything precision. Would be really nice if you could get better clips, that were truly "quick-disconnect" since these things seem a hell of a lot worse than simply hose clamps.

24c61ac.jpg

71gsns.jpg

I don't know if you can buy the clips ?? You might have to get the whole connector and attach it to the fuel line ???

I do remember that I gave up trying to disconnect them at the filter and just cut them off.

I think you have to get under the green tabs and lift both at the same time with the dent at picks... It's a lot easier to do with them cut off.

The tiny dental picks can get under the tabs to lift them.

(I think you lift and not push... It was a few years ago... I kinda forget... It's just hard to do both at once and pull the white connector at the same time.)

I'm pretty sure you are correct, basically, the tabs are sprung into the annular ring, so you have to lift them over the ring, then in theory it should just pull off the white tube. Problem is, I lifted the tabs to clear the ring, but the pulling did nothing. It's completely ridiculous if you can't get the clips. since I don't think that's actually intended to be a tight fit... I'm not sure how the line i supposed to seal though. I'll call a Mazda dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Found a few things out from this experience:

1) Removing the fuel lines is actually pretty easy. Pop a jeweler's screwdriver in under each tab and lift it over the ring, then push on the black tab on the top with slow and steady pressure. Came off, a bit slowly, but it worked fine.
2) Probably a good idea to get a new rubber gasket since you can't remove the pump from the lock ring with out pushing the rubber tabs through which isn't easy.
3) Disassembly was generally a pain in the butt. Probably wouldn't have been if I knew what I was doing, but oh well.

I installed a new strainer. The old one was large and kind of stuck straight out, whereas the new one was smaller and stuck out at an angle. Have to see what happens when I run low on fuel to see if that makes a difference. It does indeed appear that it would be hard to reassemble things incorrectly. They only seem to go together one way.

The pump assembly seemed to fit into a bowl that was perhaps 6x6x6", hard to see beyond that. I did get some pictures, which I'll post later.

Another interesting thing was I went to go get gas. The tank was almost empty and I was able to put in 10.5 gallons before it clicked off. I repeatedly attempted to continue filling and eventually got 13 gallons into the tank... often by running it at lower than normal flow rate. The fuel gauge indicated more fuel than the last two times I fully filled it, so I'm pretty confident that there is something wrong... presumably a venting issue, although oddly, we know its venting because when I smoke tested it because of he P0455, smoke was pouring out of the vent.

Back