How many would upgrade to the 2017 CX5 if.....

[emoji23][emoji23] at drag strip type perspective of the CX-5

Wouldn't a BRZ be better suited and in this price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a coupe though; no space for stuff. And it's not very good until you put the vortech on it

Cheaper to add your own turbo than to trade.

I would FAAR more prefer a manual transmission to any automatic, but the 2,5 doesn't come with one in the U.S.

What's wrong with making the CX-5 more luxury? I have this same discussion with "enthusiasts" in the BMW forums.

I'd bet the primary demographic doesn't care if it has more HP, they'd rather have heated seats and steering wheel though. This is the audience manufacturers care about, because they are buying most of their cars
I'm not opposed to making the CX-5 more luxurious, as long as it doesn't diminish its fun to drive aspect. And as long as the resulting price doesn't put it out of range of mainstream buyers. That said, I think the CX-5 in GT trim, is luxurious enough for me.

... with AWD. Exactly right! The rest of the world understand the benefits.
Yeah, no significant ground clearance. Just returned from a trip where I did some off-roading. All the places I did get to where all doable with a sedan. The areas where I shied away from, possibly could have tried some of them (and possibly would have gotten stuck or got underbody damage), were not. So, IMHO, not a big deal at all for the benefits that go with a lower vehicle.
I wouldn't mind daily driving an AWD Mazda6 wagon. The main reason we have a CX-5 is because the wife wanted more cargo space. Otherwise, I would have bought a Mazda6 or Mazda3 hatchback for the wife.

Cheaper to add your own turbo than to trade.

I would FAAR more prefer a manual transmission to any automatic, but the 2,5 doesn't come with one in the U.S.
This is debatable. If you're speaking strictly in terms of "money out of pocket", then yeah I would agree it would probably be cheaper to slap on a turbo. However if you look at it from an overall buyers perspective, a CX-5 that comes turbocharged from the factory is a better option. It will come with factory warranty, it will have an engine that is designed to run turbos, it will have a safe tune that will allow you to drive the car anywhere, it will be more reliable than a boosted 2.5 CX-5. And if it does break, we can come back to the first point of it having factory warranty. You can also mod it too and get more performance out of it since it already comes turbocharged from the factory.

I am not opposed to anyone trying to turbocharge the 2.5 NA engines in their CX-5, I applaud them for trying it out. I'm just not as adventurous as them.

That's a coupe though; no space for stuff. And it's not very good until you put the vortech on it

It's got just as much space as a CX-5 in some ways. The trunk = the hatch area except height, but is bigger in length, as I recall. The back seat, not so much.

I do laugh at people on here talking about luxury and the CX-5, though. My friend just bought a new Mercedes.

-It parks itself. Pull into the parkinglot, press a button, and chill. It finds the space, and flawlessly parks the car for you. All with zero interaction from you necessary.
-NAV? yeah, you have a touchscreen mouse-pad deal and write whatever you want in there and it makes it happen/finds it for you.

Those were the two "coolest features", but it has tons of other little stuff, like the tray in the trunk that is about 3" thick, and you push down and it forms a deep basket for random stuff, or simply stays out of the way if you don't need it, etc.

Mazda is not a luxury vehicle. Period. Zip. Nada.

And that's okay. It doesn't cost $63K either like his 'Benz did.

I'm just saying, people need a little perspective sometimes. Between the luxury and "fast" claims here, I think its needed more often than other forums I've been on.

Last edited:
Back