Remote Start

AFAIK, you need all - the module, harness and hood switch as well. There is a thread on OEM remote start install which I strongly suggest to familiarize with if you consider it.

...Programming the unit. This is all outlined in the instructions so I won't go into detail. As mentioned before about the connection between the wire, I didn't have a good connection with the wire and couldn't get through the first part of programming the unit. Once I re-did the wire, it worked the first try. There are a bunch of programming steps to follow as outlined in the instructions. Make sure you follow them and note the colour of the LED light and their status....

... This is the only wire I had to splice ...B&W wire

How long would you say the programming should take if all wires have been connected properly?
The B&W wire you had to splice - I don't see that step in their PDF guide? What step number is it?
Lastly, the guide instructs to program/connect the module in the middle of install, but you said that you did it right at the beginning. Does it matter?

Thanks

AFAIK, you need all - the module, harness and hood switch as well. There is a thread on OEM remote start install which I strongly suggest to familiarize with if you consider it.

Can you confirm that with the OEM Mazda remote start, you can still lock/unlock the doors with the Mazda remote while the vehicle is started?
I ask this, because I don't have a remote start on my 2016 Grand Touring but when I start the vehicle, then get out of it while it's running, my fob won't lock the doors. It's a little annoying that I can't have my doors locked while warming up the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you confirm that with the OEM Mazda remote start, you can still lock/unlock the doors with the Mazda remote while the vehicle is started?
I ask this, because I don't have a remote start on my 2016 Grand Touring but when I start the vehicle, then get out of it while it's running, my fob won't lock the doors. It's a little annoying that I can't have my doors locked while warming up the vehicle.

I don't think you can do anything once the engine is running.

Yes! This is extremely annoying and I hate this. You can lock the door, but you have to take the key out of the key fob and manually lock it. So stupid that mazda doesn't let you lock the vehicle with the key fob.

Anyway, I'm looking at the remote start as well, the OEM non smartphone app one. But I would assume that once you start the car via the remote start key fob, the doors would stay locked. I would hope that they wouldn't unlock just because I want the engine running. Then once you approach the vehicle, you can unlock it via the door button.

Really want to pull the trigger on this system but I really don't like the extra fob or the fact that the car turns off as soon as you open the door. My thoughts are that I start the car after a night of light snow. After getting ready, I go out to it to get my ice blade out of the trunk but my car would turn off. I would then have to restart the car just to get it running again and keep it warm. Mazda really botched this system.

Yes, hopefully someone with the OEM non smartphone remote start can confirm how this works. I would be ok with the setup if the doors remain locked while remote starting the vehicle, then unlock with the button on the door. The key inside the fob shouldn't have to be used, or removed, other than an emergency.

Yes, hopefully someone with the OEM non smartphone remote start can confirm how this works. I would be ok with the setup if the doors remain locked while remote starting the vehicle, then unlock with the button on the door. The key inside the fob shouldn't have to be used, or removed, other than an emergency.

I have a 2016.5 with the OEM factory remote start.

If I start the car remotely (with the remote start fob) with the doors locked, they remain locked. I am able to unlock them with the button on the exterior door handle when I walk up to the car. No need to use the key in the key fob.

If I start the car remotely (with the remote start fob) with the doors locked, they remain locked. I am able to unlock them with the button on the exterior door handle when I walk up to the car. No need to use the key in the key fob.

Awesome! That is the reply I've been looking for. Thank you!

Just picked up my 2014 Touring from Best Buy. They put the Compustar CS-4102 in it. Seems to work well. As with the others, the car shuts off when the door is opened, and the parking lights do not flash when starting the car. I also have to use the Compustar fob for unlocking the doors after it has been remotely started. I was prepared for this and have no issues with it. Starting a warm car is way better than starting a cold car! The fob is slightly smaller than the OEM standard fob.

I paid $259 including installation. You get 2 remote fobs. The primary is 2-way communications, and the backup is 1-way.

Time to go get into a warm car!

Good info! Care to share any additional opinions about the OEM remote start system? How's the range, does the car start right away(any lag?), has having to have an additional key fob bothered you at all, having to restart the car after opening a door, how bothersome is that really? Thanks.

Just picked up my 2014 Touring from Best Buy. They put the Compustar CS-4102 in it. Seems to work well. As with the others, the car shuts off when the door is opened, and the parking lights do not flash when starting the car. I also have to use the Compustar fob for unlocking the doors after it has been remotely started. I was prepared for this and have no issues with it. Starting a warm car is way better than starting a cold car! The fob is slightly smaller than the OEM standard fob.

I paid $259 including installation. You get 2 remote fobs. The primary is 2-way communications, and the backup is 1-way.

Time to go get into a warm car!

You don't have an alarm right?
You are not using the Mazda remote anymore, that is in the car?

You don't have an alarm right?
You are not using the Mazda remote anymore, that is in the car?

You do not sacrifice a Mazda remote fob with this remote starter. I have the factory alarm on the car. When it's installed, you get a Compustart starter fob in addition to your Mazda fob - they both are on my key ring. IF you remote start the car with the Compustar fob (and that's the only way to remote start it), then you will need to use the Compustar fob to unlock the doors - the Mazda fob will not unlock the doors if it has been remote started. Once you open any door (or hatch), the engine will stop. Simply get in the car and start it as usual. Granted, it's a little inconvenient to have to restart it, but it's better to restart a warm car than a cold one.

The Best Buy tech told me that all of the cars (Mazda, Lexus, etc...) with push to start that he has installed remote starters in shut off when a door is opened.

The range on the Compustar fob is 3000' ft. I can easily start my car from inside the office. It's a 2-way communication so you know that it has started.

I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Last edited:
I just installed the Fortin Mazda remote start kit with the T-Harness. It was pretty easy. The longest part was just making sure I was doing it right and rereading the wiring schematics. All in all if I did it again it would probably take about 45 minutes to complete now. Overall it took me about 3 hours. I would recommend knowing how to tin your wires with solder for good connections and having a good wire strippers.

I love my 3rd party aftermarket remote start. This business about "How lame that if you open the door, the car shuts off" is not that big a deal guys. Really.

If it DIDN'T do this... I COULD STEAL YOUR CAR. Think about it.
Sure... I wouldn't be able to start your car after I stole it and shut it off. But... so? Your car is still stolen and now stuck somewhere. Who wants to go through that?

I just installed the Fortin Mazda remote start kit with the T-Harness. It was pretty easy. The longest part was just making sure I was doing it right and rereading the wiring schematics. All in all if I did it again it would probably take about 45 minutes to complete now. Overall it took me about 3 hours. I would recommend knowing how to tin your wires with solder for good connections and having a good wire strippers.

I'm also deciding between this Fortin or OEM remote start. Mind if I ask which Fortin model you went with?
I have a 2016 CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg. The Fortin Site recommends the EVO-MAZT1. I also see 2 installation guides. One is regular w/T harness, and the other is stand-alone w/t harness...? What's the difference (scratch) Did you get the mandatory hood pin and valet switch like it says in the manual? Thanks in advance.

5511f9f456a681c8446a6076bf12d4e0.jpg

Pursuit long range 1200 feet. My dealer recommends. Works great.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

What are the benefits to aftermarket over OEM? Just a cost savings?

I can't see any benefit aside from price. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that any aftermarket remote starters will unlock the doors with the fob after the vehicle is started. The exception being if you sacrifice a key to keep in the vehicle as part of the install. I still wish Mazda had a one remote option so we don't have to use two separate fobs.

Back