Rain Sensing Wiper Problem

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Noticed my rain sensing wipers are going by themselves even when it's not raining. When in automatic mode, the sensors go on by themselves, and are adjustable with the frequency option, but they never stop. Even when it's bone dry outside. I have to completely shut them off. Otherwise it behaves like they're on some delay.

I noticed after I came out of a car wash yesterday and I'm wondering if theirs some coating from the wash/wax that's on the glass causing this. Never had this problem before with my old CX-9. I used some Windex to "scrub" the entire area in front of all the cameras and sensors, but the problem continues.

I usually keep them in Auto mode, but wondering if it's some coating from the car wash on the glass or a sensor which is faulty after about 1 month.

Anyone else have this problem?

If you've used your rain-sensing wipers before and they worked fine, try to check your vehicle setups in infotainment system to make sure the function didn't get turned off accidentally which would make your rain-sensing wipers worked like traditional intermittent windshield wipers. If the setup is correct, then you should take your new CX-9 in for warranty service.

This is my 6th car with a rain sensor wiping system.
2001 VW GTi (1st Gti) - had a failure with the sensor, same symptom you have...the wipers would not stop
2001 VW GTi (2nd Gti) - had a failure with the sensor, the wipers stopped midway and would not operate at all
2011 Lexus IS - No Problems
2013 VW Passat - No Problems
2013 GLK350 - No Problems
2016 CX-9 Signature - No Problems sofar

IMO your sensor is defective. In all my vehicles I wax the windshield by hand.... highly unlikely any residue on the glass would be the root cause, the glass will always be dirty...

I'm not on my car right now, but there are 5 settings?
1 (top) = Quick clean
2 (default position) = off
3 (adjustable delay/auto)
4 (fast)
5 (very fast)

Are you sure you have yours on 2 and not 3?

If you've used your rain-sensing wipers before and they worked fine, try to check your vehicle setups in infotainment system to make sure the function didn't get turned off accidentally which would make your rain-sensing wipers worked like traditional intermittent windshield wipers. If the setup is correct, then you should take your new CX-9 in for warranty service.

Well damn! I don't recall seeing there was a system setting for "Rain-sensing wipers" enabled. I just went in and somehow I must have disabled that. Working now.

Thanks so much Yrwei52.

Thanks for your advice too Thugzy. No problem so far....

I'm not on my car right now, but there are 5 settings?
1 (top) = Quick clean
2 (default position) = off
3 (adjustable delay/auto)
4 (fast)
5 (very fast)

Are you sure you have yours on 2 and not 3?

With the rain-sensing wiper, Position 3 can be set for rain sensing or adjustable/delay as I've just learned. You enable adjustable/delay by disabling the Rain Sensing option from the Infotainment section.

Well damn! I don't recall seeing there was a system setting for "Rain-sensing wipers" enabled. I just went in and somehow I must have disabled that. Working now.

Thanks so much Yrwei52.

Thanks for your advice too Thugzy. No problem so far....
Actually I was surprised to learn at first that Mazda designed a software control to disable the rain-sensing automatic wipers. It doesn't make sense to me as who would want disable this feature if you have it?! (uhm)

Actually I was surprised to learn at first that Mazda designed a software control to disable the rain-sensing automatic wipers. It doesn't make sense to me as who would want disable this feature if you have it?! (uhm)

Control freaks who want to manually control intermittent speed?

Pretty much. I actually prefer to have control over my wiper speeds, I like them at slower then usual as the flicking back and forth bothers me. However I tend to stick with the rain sensing for now because it handles misting better, and can operate at slower then delay speeds. I do still end up turning the wipers off when the wipers start running faster then the rain needs it.

I've had my '16 CX-5 for a year and I just recently turned this feature off. I'm convinced there isn't anything wrong with the sensor, but for me the wipers are far too sensitive.

I consider myself is a control freak and I use more manual single-wipe function instead of automatic rain-sensing wiping during misting condition. But I would never disable the rain-sensing wiper function as it has much wider ranger of intermittent interval adjustment - from infinite to continuous, than the intermittent wipers. If you feel the wipers start running faster then the rain needs it, you can adjust the rain sensor to be less sensitive. I have to admit though Mazda's rain-sensing wipers are not as precise and consistent on sensitivity adjustment as my BMW 528i's rain-sensing wipers.

It doesn't work well in snow.

My Toyota rain sensing system works better than the Mazda system. I switched it to regular intermediate operation--suits me better.

Back