Mazda 5, 2009 Noises

MC Sniper

:
Hi folks

Im a newb, just got a 2009 Mazda 5 touring from a guy and been trying to find out where the darn clunks and rattles are coming from. Shes quiet on smooth roads but pretty clunky when on bumpy roads. So what have you guys been finding? Ive inspected it underneath and can find anything that appears bad or nothings loose. 120,000 miles.

Also, engine code P0138 (bank 1, sensor 2) faulting. the ox sensor sells for $120.00!!! anyone find them better priced?

Thanks in advance.

Very common problem...(blah)

The sway bar bushings dry up and shrink, causing the sway bar to rattle on bumpy roads. Same thing on the Mazda3, which is the Mazda5 suspension twin...

Most folks like to do the end links at the same time, since they work and wear together.

Also look for cracks in the rubber of the lower control arms. Lots of noise when they go. I bet its all 3...and probably even the motor mounts. I have replaced all of the above on my 06. Low-quality rubber. But it could be worse...much worse. At least its not low-quality aluminum and steel in the powertrain.

I have the same issue. I replaced front sway bar bushings last year and now the clunk is back. What is the serial number for the lower control arms? Did u replace with OEM or is there a better replacement? Tnx

I have the same issue. I replaced front sway bar bushings last year and now the clunk is back. What is the serial number for the lower control arms? Did u replace with OEM or is there a better replacement? Tnx

I believe that the LCAs are universal across many cars, even the Volvo S40/V40/C30. But Volvo rubber is really poor, necessitating suspension rebuilds every 100K, so I went aftermarket. I figure if OE is so bad, and alternatives like Ford or Volvo are no better, why pay more money? I have only had them on for a few thousand miles, so I can't yet speak on longevity.

I am looking at replacing all the parts mentioned on this post related to frontsuspension. Based on research here I think i will get KYB for struts. Since OEM parts do not last, what would be the best yet economical choices for FSB bushings, end links and lower control arms? I usually buy from amazon and there are so many choices.

Last edited:
I am looking at replacing all the parts mentioned on this post related to frontsuspension. Based on research here I think i will get KYB for struts. Since OEM parts do not last, what would be the best yet economical choices for FSB bushings, end links and lower control arms? I usually buy from amazon and there are so many choices.

I have replaced my Front and Rear Sway Bar Bushes with Upgraded and Current OEM Bushes,Energy Suspension Poly Bushes and Moog K200675 Blue Bush FSB. The Moog proved to be the MOST EFFECTIVE replacement bushing for me! I bought them thru RockAuto.com.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4202106&jsn=399

The OEM bush lasted a few months before Clunked Again!

The Energy Suspension bushed squeeked w/in a few months even with the approved lubricant!

The Moog Blue Bushing was Nirvana! No Clunk or Noise....this was after I did everything except changing the LCA bushes...I mean every thing!

Top Hats on suspension, Koni FSD, Moog End Links, Motor Mounts all except Trans Mount...Used E Focus RMM, no wheel hop!

Hope this helps!

See my Mods under: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-my-2-cents-about-MY09-GT-Upgrades&highlight=

Last edited:
Back