VW Atlas 2018 said to challenge CX9

VW Atlas 2018 said to challenge CX-9

Both the Atlas and the CX-9 are very similar in the sense that they both can accommodate 7 occupants across all trims and are designed for maximum practicality. However, when it comes to technologies, the Atlas is going to be ahead as it will come with a fully digital cockpit that is preloaded with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

my guess is the Atlas will be way more expensive which comparable trims are compared. the Touraeg was way too expensive for what it was.

VW Atlas 2018 said to challenge CX-9

my guess is the Atlas will be way more expensive which comparable trims are compared. the Touareg was way too expensive for what it was.
⋯ The rear three-quarters are particularly evocative of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, another immensely popular SUV that falls in the Atlas likely $30,000-$50,000 price range when it finally does go on sale next spring.

my guess is the Atlas will be way more expensive which comparable trims are compared. the Touraeg was way too expensive for what it was.

And the engine in the CX9 will provide better torque (310 @ 2000rpm), similar to Diesel counterparts:

"VW Atlas: Torque specs were not provided, but if we were betting folk, we would guess that the four-pot would make somewhere between 258 and 273 lb-ft of torque, while the VR6 probably will make the same 258 lb-ft as it does in the Passat"

This means the 4 engine Turbo in the CX9 will provide better torque even compared with the VW Atlas V6 version.

Looks awful. Even less inspired than the boring Touraeg. This won't sell much in this extremely fierce segment. VW is last to the 3 row segment and after all these years this is what they come up with.

Also, as a VW owner, I can say that generally the VWs have two shortcomings that would make the cx-9 stand out. They tend to handle rougher (stiffer) and a lot noisier (can't compete with extra sound deadening material put in the cx-9). I noticed a huge benefit in these two areas going from the Jetta Sportwagen TDI to our new cx-9. Also, while I'm thinking of it the turbo lag on the TDI is a lot more pronounced than the cx-9.

Last edited:
Also, as a VW owner, I can say that generally the VWs have two shortcomings that would make the cx-9 stand out. They tend to be a rougher (stiffer) and a lot noisier (can't compete with extra sound deadening material put in the cx-9). I noticed a huge benefit in these two areas going from the Jetta Sportwagen TDI to our new cx-9. Also, while I'm thinking of it the turbo lag on the TDI is a lot more pronounces than the cx-9.

Mazda do a great job with the Dynamic Pressure Turbo in the CX9. Have almost no lag at all!.

This Turbo works like a twin turbo, this is why you get full torque since 2000 rpm.

I see a video in Youtube where a guy provides good comment in general to the new Cx9 and he explain the engine was designed in 3 years by 5 crazy Japan engineers.

Regarding the noise reduction in the cx9, is just amazing, even dangerous! I cannot hear almost anything from the street.

Back