Painting rims? Recomendations?

Jfunk

:
02 protege5 5spd- wrecked rip. 03 protege5 5spd (parts)
So my stock alloys rims on my p5 are starting to peal. During the winter when my other tires are on the car I'm planning to paint them. So first things first I need to decide the color lol. Any suggestions for rim color on a silver car? Second, what kind of paint should I use and where would I buy it. And third, what would be the best way of getting the factory paint off the rims. I was thinking of sandblasting but im not sure if that's the way to go.

I like dark gray/graphite. You can go to your local auto parts store and get wheel specific paint. May want to look into using a primer and clear coat for better durability. I think sandblasting might be overkill, but if you have a machine readily available then go for it. Some sandpaper to coarse up the surface for better adhesion would be sufficient I would think.

Some people like Plastidip, too, but that's typically less durable. YouTube would be another good place to check as there are lots of how-to's.

If you take your time and prep them properly, you would be surprised at how long Plastidip lasts. I did a rush prep job on my chrome peeling stockies, and it has held up for months now. Couple times they have gotten nicked (tire shop) I have just touched them up and bit and good as new. You can look into powder coating, if you want durability. But depending on where you live, it may cost more to power coat your stock wheels than to just buy a different set.

I second the gunmetal/graphite color.

Bead blast them if you have the means. The better you prep the surface, the better your paint will come out. Blasting takes it right down to the alloy.

If you want to go with a gloss finish, coat with a self-etching primer and then paint.

If you want a textured or matte look, Plasti-dip is a good solution.

Duplicolor wheel paint and clear. That also have a matte clear. I've had it on my msp wheels for like 2 years, and they are as good as when I painted them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Unless your using expensive 2k epoxy> primer> automotive base and 2k clear, you would be wasting the effort and money of getting them blasted. If just using rattle paints, pickup some aircraft stripper and cut the old paint offwith a razor blade. Basically soak the paint and scrape it off with blade 90degrees to work. You can also buy an abrasive stone disc for angle grinder that shreads the paint right off but also makes a big dust mess. Be prepared.

Skip aingle stage etch primers. Try to get a 2k epoxy to seal if possible. Even if you have to brush it on, will adhere much better to aluminum than an etch.

Primer over epoxy, rattle is fine. 2k is nice cause you can work with it fast. Just get a heavy high build primer. Get some 2k flowable filler for the s*** you wanna fix, apply it on top of the sealer and sand flat. You want 2-3 coata of high build primer with your final coat being ready for paint. So sand between the first two coats and try to make the last one kinda wet so you dont have to do more than scuff with a very fine scotch pad. 2-3 coats of base assuming a spraygun is used, prob 4-6 with rattlecan for coverage.
Once your base flashes off dump two medium wet coats of 2k clear on top with no sanding. If your limited to store bought duplicolor ect drytimes kinda are what they are. If you can afford a cheap hvlp spraygun, you will be able to use more efficient and stronger products. If you went with professional stuff it will prob cost about $150 for cans of paint and prep stuff. Rattle will be cheaper but wont really last.
I personally use valspar automotive. Nice produxts. Balsparmakes a product called rust armor that can be used with an enamel hardener. Ive use it kn wheels for black and white for pretty cheap. Still requires an hvlp but ita like $20/quart plus the hardener.
Once it is full set you could wet sand it and apply silver or whatever duplicolor base, then a 2k clear.
Basically try to work within the open time of whatever product. Once it sets jo you have to sand to apply more coats. Particularly for 2k clear, you basically apply as soon as you can touch it without sanding.

I like dark gray/graphite. You can go to your local auto parts store and get wheel specific paint. May want to look into using a primer and clear coat for better durability. I think sandblasting might be overkill, but if you have a machine readily available then go for it. Some sandpaper to coarse up the surface for better adhesion would be sufficient I would think.

Some people like Plastidip, too, but that's typically less durable. YouTube would be another good place to check as there are lots of how-to's.

I looked up pictures of the graphite color and I like it. Not sure if I should do matte or shiny finish though.

Go on YouTube " Chris fix " he has the whole process on making your wheels look new as fats as fixing any chips curbrash and then painting them to your desire .

Duplicolor wheel paint and clear. That also have a matte clear. I've had it on my msp wheels for like 2 years, and they are as good as when I painted them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
went and bought 2 cans of duplicolor gunmetal grey and the clear finish kit.

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you still look at this thread, but I finally finished redoeing my rims! I think they turned of awesome. To prep them I used a wirebrush on an electric drill, and then sanded with 100 grit and the 500 grit. It took me a while, but eventually I had almost all of the old paint off and a smooth surface to work with. After prepping, I put 2 coats of gray duplicolor sandable primer on and touch-up sanded some spots if needed. Then, I put 3ish coats of Duplicolor gunmetal grey wheel paint, which is, by the way an awesome looking color (I recommend it, especially on a silver car). Finally I put 2 coats of duplicolor clear coat on, which gave the rims an awesome shiny chrome look. Overall, I am very happy with the final product. Besides a few scratches missed while sanding and a few nicks from the tire shop, the rims look just as smooth as stock. Hopefully they last a while. This project did take way longer than expected, but that being said, I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Hey guys, I don't know how many of you still look at this thread, but I finally finished redoeing my rims! I think they turned of awesome. To prep them I used a wirebrush on an electric drill, and then sanded with 100 grit and the 500 grit. It took me a while, but eventually I had almost all of the old paint off and a smooth surface to work with. After prepping, I put 2 coats of gray duplicolor sandable primer on and touch-up sanded some spots if needed. Then, I put 3ish coats of Duplicolor gunmetal grey wheel paint, which is, by the way an awesome looking color (I recommend it, especially on a silver car). Finally I put 2 coats of duplicolor clear coat on, which gave the rims an awesome shiny chrome look. Overall, I am very happy with the final product. Besides a few scratches missed while sanding and a few nicks from the tire shop, the rims look just as smooth as stock. Hopefully they last a while. This project did take way longer than expected, but that being said, I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Pics!!!!

Here's some pics.
379ce74f65b827d01b69c8f805cb53f5.jpg
3f20ac891d01b5fc0eb167b6dbcacd66.jpg
80f1d00ab89db729ab1a734927c208e4.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Nice! I really like the gloss, it highlights the edges of the wheels, really gives them depth. Imo our stock wheels look bad in matte finish, it fades away the form of the wheel and makes it look like a flat surface

Back