Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Montana/Arizona

2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    When did this become a known issue? As in, timeframe in relation to year of production/purchase?
    When I brought my 2016 CX-5 GT in a year ago with the headlight issue the woman who wrote it up said that I was not the first she had seen. I don't have that car anymore so I'm not sure of the build date. It was not a 2016.5. It was early in the model year. I'm just glad it happened under warranty.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie95 View Post
    Add another one to the list. Driver's side DRL went out at the end of July, vehicle is a 2016 GT with about 26K on the clock. Dealer replaced it under warranty, in fact I was running errands when I noticed it and called them from the car. They had a unit in stock and happened to have an appointment open. I was in/out in under 2 hours from noticing that it was out which was pretty darned good.

For maximum irony, just one week prior to this I had decided to buy out my lease and take an extended warranty out to 8 years / 100K miles. Lighting coverage was something that I insisted on. Albeit this instance was covered under the original factory warranty, I'll sleep better knowing that I'm covered against a $1,300 timebomb.
    I wanted to add another data point for those having (or who will have) this problem.

Yesterday, at 46k miles, the passenger side DRLs started flickering and went extremely dim. That makes both units gone on a vehicle that's < 4 years old. I'm about to start working with Mazda on it - they've gone through what, 9 revisions of this unit? I did take out an extended warranty that will cover it, and if I have to claim on it then I will, but I don't see why the warranty company should foot the bill when this is a known problem.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie95 View Post
    I wanted to add another data point for those having (or who will have) this problem.

Yesterday, at 46k miles, the passenger side DRLs started flickering and went extremely dim. That makes both units gone on a vehicle that's < 4 years old. I'm about to start working with Mazda on it - they've gone through what, 9 revisions of this unit? I did take out an extended warranty that will cover it, and if I have to claim on it then I will, but I don't see why the warranty company should foot the bill when this is a known problem.
    Yes, from no suffix, A, B all the way up to the latest J version on part numbers and from fiber optic style to cheapo LEDs in dot matrix style.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech

Just discovered the passenger side drl led is out on my '16 with 56k miles. I bought an extended warranty from Mazda. Going to take the car in to dealer and will report back

Quote Originally Posted by ryan4130 View Post
    Just discovered the passenger side drl led is out on my '16 with 56k miles. I bought an extended warranty from Mazda. Going to take the car in to dealer and will report back
    Not surprised about failing LED DRLs from 2016 CX-5's. Please report back after your dealer visit.

Registered Member

Registered Member

The dealer replaced the light under the extended warranty. No fuss required at all.

Registered Member

Hello friends, I am an owner of a vehicle Mazda CX-5 from 2016. My headlights are "D" series.

I am also a participant and active member of several forums in Spain (clubmazdacx5.com, clubmazda.es), and we are very concerned with this issue because Mazda Corporation is not giving us assistance to this problem.

When the fault occurs within warranty the headlight is replaced for free but if it is out of warranty no hat
    and repair and we have to pay for a new headlights.

We think that if MAZDA has not foreseen in the design of the headlight the possibility of replacing an LED (as it does with the light bulbs) it is because it considers that the useful life of these elements goes far beyond the useful life of the car (implied warranty for life) and therefore if this is not fulfilled it is MAZDA who must carry the consequence and replace the complete headlight at his expense. Especially when there is such a disproportion between the value of a simple led and that of the complete headlights.

Some workshops (garage) in Barcelona have begun to satisfactorily repair the damaged headlights, so you do not have to pay Mazda.

One question please: Can any owner assure that some headlights of the D series has already had the damage ?. We have only heard damage in series C.

Thank you very much for the help and support.
    Last edited by MikieMad; 05-21-2019 at 11:46 AM.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

There is a KE 2012-2017 and a KF 2017 on which I presume you are talking about. I haven*t heard of any KFs with problems but they are only just three years old. I believe Mazda are accepting warranty claims out of warranty in some locations for this problem.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    There is a KE 2012-2017 and a KF 2017 on which I presume you are talking about. I haven*t heard of any KFs with problems but they are only just three years old. I believe Mazda are accepting warranty claims out of warranty in some locations for this problem.
    Thanks a lot @Anchorman. Thanks for your help.

There are many models (KE) (like my vehicle) with D series headlights with just over three years old.
    Here in Spain Mazda Corp. does not accepting claims the replacement out of warranty although is a failure of the factory. Only free repair the factory fault if it occurs within warranty. clubmazdacx5.com

So, Is there any owner with damage D series headlights? We have only heard damage in the C series.

2016 Mazda CX-5 - Problems, Statistics, and Analysis
    Last edited by MikieMad; 05-23-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Unofficial survey watching cars on the way home. You know who doesn't do DRLs? Ford. By a huge margin. Roughly 4 out of 5 newer cars I saw without them were Ford. Geez, Ford...get on the stick! Lol
    Yep, LED's only on the upper models. My relatively loaded '17 XLT F-150 has halogen bulbs. That's on a $50,000 vehicle, too.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Bought my 2016 CX-5 GT in December and driver side DRL is flickering. Dealership is replacing under CPO warranty. Currently at 44k miles. Curious if the passenger side was ever replaced or if it will go on me once the CPO warranty expires.

Quote Originally Posted by SlothMan View Post
    Bought my 2016 CX-5 GT in December and driver side DRL is flickering. Dealership is replacing under CPO warranty. Currently at 44k miles. Curious if the passenger side was ever replaced or if it will go on me once the CPO warranty expires.
    You can check the part# and manufacture date sticker on the back side of both LED headlight housings and see what are they. If you have the latest version which is the "J" version, you should be fine although the sticker would still say "H" version. The revision is the last character of part # in alphabetic order (none->C->D->G->H->J) as there must be something wrong in any of the previous versions hence Mazda has to modified it again and again.

Those LED headlights sometimes look different in color temperature even if they're the same version. So if the sticker of your driver side replacement says "H" and manufactured in 2018 or 2019, it would look like dot-matrix LED DRL instead of original fiber optic LED accent light.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Wife just got back and its raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

Attachment 218909

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

Attachment 218910

So your H version LED headlight seems to be the same as my J version after all.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SlothMan View Post
    Pls, what version was the damaged headlight? Thanks!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by MikieMad View Post
    Pls, what version was the damaged headlight? Thanks!
    Just checked...Drivers side is KA0G 51 040C and passenger side is KA0G 51 030C. Both have manufacture dates of 09/2015. So I guess they are both original to the car. Hopefully I can catch the passenger side before it goes!!!

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast