Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by astriuminc View Post
    this is impossible, the LED chips are soldered to custom printed circuit boards and then assembled into the housing, it's not like the interior dome lights where you can just pop them in,

when you get a chance take a look at the backside of LED tailights from the trunk area by removing the access panel. you'll just see wires coming out of the housing, no way to replace the LED if they fail.

and I'm 100% positive it's not the LED chips that are failing, in theory LED chips can last a very very long time. it's the control board circuitry that is the problem and causing the dimming and flickering

LED chips are actually very basic and reliable but there's a whole host of components that drives them,
    LED drivers, voltage regulators, capacitors, resistors, etc.) if any one of those fail, it's very hard to troubleshoot......

just look at Figure 1 (typical halogen schematic) vs Figure 2 (typical LED schematic) in this link and you'll understand:

http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/n...t-led-lighting

I've seen LED's fail far sooner than cheap halogens
    Mazda's housing for their LED halos look similar to BMW's Angel Eyes housing where a single (or few) bright LEDs are used to light up the whole halo as opposed to Audi's many dotted LEDs. Can you confirm MAzda's LED Daytime lights don't use replaceable LED bulbs? Here are links to H8 LED replacement bulbs for BMW Angel Eyes and forum discussing Cree LED replacement before/after.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ent/2638/5758/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951698

That said I know BMW's Angel Eyes do have their own flickering characteristics as well. As designed (upon start up light check) and as electrical errors.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 11-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat1446 View Post
    $1200 seems excessive to replace one light, that's more than the whole OEM LED package itself ($1100 if I recall correctly for LED headlights, LED foglights and LED tailights). It's really not that hard to replace the headlight yourself and save some money, you can get a new LED unit off eBay or even an aftermarket JDM set for a lot cheaper than dealer. The front bumper will need to come off though to get to the mounting bolts, there's a youtube video on how to remove the front bumper.

offtopic: just out of curiousity, for those with OEM LED's headlight units, what bulb does it use for high beams ? regular halogen 9005 or is it mechanical shutters on the LED projector ?
    The single OEM unit on LED headlight is $1,250 list. There're not many cheaper options available at this time. Unless you can do component-lever fix to the printed circuit board, there's no easy way to repair our LED headlight. Like astriuminc said, I believe these LEDs are surface-mounted and soldered on the PC board and they're not easy to be repaired. And most likely it's other electronic components which causes DRL LEDs dim and flickering.

The high-beam on CX-5's LED headlight uses separate LED and reflector independent to low-beam LED and projector.

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Mazda's housing for their LED halos look similar to BMW's Angel Eyes housing where a single (or few) bright LEDs are used to light up the whole halo as opposed to Audi's many dotted LEDs. Can you confirm MAzda's LED Daytime lights don't use replaceable LED bulbs? Here are links to H8 LED replacement bulbs for BMW Angel Eyes and forum discussing Cree LED replacement before/after.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ent/2638/5758/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951698

That said I know BMW's Angel Eyes do have their own flickering characteristics as well. As designed (upon start up light check) and as electrical errors.
    Our 2000 BMW 528i just missed Angel-Eye headlights which started in 2001 MY that makes me regret not waiting for one more year! But the Angel-Eye uses H8 bulb and tubes the light to the round Angel-Eye. On the other hand, our CX-5, although looks similar, uses LEDs for the DRLs which is a totally different design.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Our 2000 BMW 528i just missed Angel-Eye headlights which started in 2001 MY that makes me regret not waiting for one more year! But the Angel-Eye uses H8 bulb and tubes the light to the round Angel-Eye. On the other hand, our CX-5, although looks similar, uses LEDs for the DRLs which is a totally different design.
    Yeah I double checked with www.superbrightleds.com and it says the Mazda's LEDs both low beam and daytime lights are not user replaceable which sucks. Crossing fingers that if any problems arise it would be during warranty period. That said no problems here. I'm also on Mazda6 club and there's really no reports of LED issues there as well.

Outside of warranty period there's no way I'm spending $1g on new headlights though. My lights will be sent off to a reputable headlight retrofit shop to be opened up and retrofitted to meet my daytime running light needs.

Registered Member

2016.5 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    The single OEM unit on LED headlight is $1,250 list. There are not many cheaper options available at this time.
    wow, you're right, I can't believe they are that expensive !!!!

Parts Numbers:
    - K070-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
    - K070-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
    AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System)

I forgot they have AFS with the swiveling headlights to focus around turns....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JDM-Mazd...lXhNpb&vxp=mtr

then that whole $1100 LED tech package (LED headlights foglights, tailights) is a freaking bargain unless it turns out you have to spend $2400 every year after warranty runs out to replace headlights units, then it's a money pit.....

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

the adaptive LED type overseas are even more expensive !! LED's turn on and off depending on conditions.

one YouTube comment:
    "anyway to activate ALH in an American model? All the stuff is there but is disabled in the computer." Is this true ???

Parts Number

- K071-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
    - K071-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
    ALH (Adaptive LED Headlight)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JDM-Mazd...JXhNph&vxp=mtr

Last edited by blackcx5; 11-02-2016 at 11:41 AM.

I would consult with a reputable vendor to see if they can have the Daytime LEDs be user replaceable or have them conduct repairs with warranty. Much much cheaper than buying new headlight assemblies. Such vendors are becoming more popular too. There's a growing market for creating/repairing complex headlight systems.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Outside of the luxury realm, I just can't fathom how auto manufacturers are expecting everyday folks to pony up so much $$ for headlight replacements when they do end up failing. Excluding this forum, I've never seen an article where anyone discusses the cost to replace these new style lights post warranty. We're probably talking $1,500 with labor for a single front unit. I never got to see the itemized bill when I had my LED headlights replaced due to the cloudiness, but $2,500 plus labor is about 10% of the cost of a whole new GT with Tech.

A few years back I got rid of my 4Runner with only 100k miles because I didn't want to replace the rear differential.

Like CX-5um has mentioned, these lights will probably create a whole new cottage industry.

Registered Member

was 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav, now 190ps DSG Tiguan 4M

Is my led headlight capable of switching off segments of leds, or is that a different headlight used for the adaptive system?

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    Is my led headlight capable of switching off segments of leds, or is that a different headlight used for the adaptive system?
    I think it's different unless you can see a four block high beam LED array next to your low beams, it's only available in certain markets and countries, not available in USA, USA market uses AFS technology

the ALH has an high beam LED array and needs camera input per Mazda website:

ALH’s high-beam headlights consist of an LED array divided into four blocks, each of which can be switched on and off independently. Using a windscreen-mounted camera to detect other vehicles’ headlights and tail lamps, the system temporarily dims individual LED blocks to control the area illumination and avoid dazzling other drivers. Glare-free High Beams provide the bright illumination and excellent visibility of traditional high-beams at all times, even when passing oncoming traffic. The system operates at speeds above 40 km/h.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/alh/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

AFS uses low beams and steering wheel angle to determine where to swivel the headlights:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/afs/
    Last edited by astriuminc; 11-02-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

Dealer did an inspection again and confirmed the entire assembly will have to be replaced. I'm at 21k miles and covered under warranty. If that wasn't the case, would have to shell out $1500+ for parts and labor. WTF!

Registered Member

Ok thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by astriuminc View Post
    I think it's different unless you can see a four block high beam LED array next to your low beams, it's only available in certain markets and countries, not available in USA, USA market uses AFS technology

the ALH has an high beam LED array and needs camera input per Mazda website:

ALH’s high-beam headlights consist of an LED array divided into four blocks, each of which can be switched on and off independently. Using a windscreen-mounted camera to detect other vehicles’ headlights and tail lamps, the system temporarily dims individual LED blocks to control the area illumination and avoid dazzling other drivers. Glare-free High Beams provide the bright illumination and excellent visibility of traditional high-beams at all times, even when passing oncoming traffic. The system operates at speeds above 40 km/h.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/alh/

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

AFS uses low beams and steering wheel angle to determine where to swivel the headlights:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...ve_safety/afs/

Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    wow, you're right, I can't believe they are that expensive !!!!
    Parts Numbers:
    - K070-51-031C (LED Headlight Right Side)
    - K070-51-041C (LED Headlight Left Side)
    AFS (Adaptive Front lighting System)
    I forgot they have AFS with the swiveling headlights to focus around turns....
    then that whole $1100 LED tech package (LED headlights foglights, tailights) is a freaking bargain unless it turns out you have to spend $2400 every year after warranty runs out to replace headlights units, then it's a money pit.....
    Yeah, the Tech Package is a barging and that's why I always recommend getting Tech Package during the new car purchase if one wants the brighter LED headlights and cool LED DRLs, and don't even think about trying to convert them later!

Unfortunately Mazda's quality and reliability are not the best from Japan. These different issues many people have encountered so far on CX-5's LED headlights are the evidence of just that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcx5 View Post
    the adaptive LED type overseas are even more expensive !! LED's turn on and off depending on conditions.
    one YouTube comment:
    "anyway to activate ALH in an American model? All the stuff is there but is disabled in the computer." Is this true ???
    No, we have simpler mechanical mechanism on Auto-Leveling and AFS with motors turning the projectors up-and-down and left-and-right. But other regions have ALH which uses array of LEDs aiming at different directions (not just low and high beams!) and controlled by the electronic module for on-and-off on appropriate sections automatically based on the analysis of the image from Forward Sensing Camera on the windshield. ALH can turn some of the middle section LEDs off automatically when you're following a car and not to blind the driver at front. There's no mechanical moving parts so in theory they should last forever.

No. there's nothing in US spec CX-5 that is even close to the ALH. They're completely different system. Not to mention any possibility of turning the ALH or similar function on! That's simply a pipe dream! (boom08)

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post
    Someone from UK had said that ALH is a 800 option, so you can check your window sticker and verify.

Registered Member

It is an extra on a new car, part of a package, but i don't think it's available retrospectively, and i would only want the ALH, not the rest.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I'm sure most of them will be fine long term. I felt the same way getting the bi-xenon AFS HIDs on my old G35x. They were $1200-$1500/each back in '07. Knock on wood but I still haven't lost a HID bulb in that car. I used to lose the old D2S low beam HIDs bulbs in my former Maxima ever 4-5 years. One would go into the purple haze mode so I would replace both. HID bulbs are relatively cheap these days though.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast