Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Oh. Ok. I was taking about Nissan. Yrwei said they didn't have DRLs. Rogues do.

yrwei52- I'd like to see some pics of the J version when you have a chance too. I know its just me being picky, but I've never really liked the dot-matrix style LEDs when used for clear white lighting/DRLs. I find the fiber optic style to look much more sophisticated. Probably why I've always like most of the Audi DRLs. So I'm curious to see how these look, both lit and unlit.

However, I don't mind the dot-matrix style as much for red tail lights.
Yep the accent DRL on these J version CX-5 LED headlights definitely is much less bright than original version. The style looks the same, but the LED light source has changed from single or two brighter LEDs transfering the light through fiber optics to dot-matrix LEDs positioned directly along the light strip.

I prefer smooth fiber-optic style LED DRL too which looks much more sophisticated and costs more to make. Dot-matrix style LED light simply put basic round LEDs along the light strip which looks cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

2545EF69-5E7C-4D3A-AA3C-8AF3C2694A78.pngC48AC851-C9E9-4D8F-8A5B-D4810A5CAEBC.pngACBEDFEE-EC07-4345-AA29-9D60C6AC4BF5.png253E9A4B-C6D4-4358-8EDE-99A2D89C3F8F.png

Here are some comparison photos from my old post:

Here are Euro version CX-5 I saw in Taipei with LED headlights without front amber parking lights, side-markers and side amber reflectors:
Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_04%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_03%2B-%2BLed%2BHeadlight.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_02%2B-%2BFront%2BLed%2BLights.jpg

Mazda%2BCX-5%2BSkyActiv%2BD%2BTaipei_01%2B-%2BFront.jpg

Here are my LED headlights without front amber parking lights and side markers:
2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_04.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_03.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_02.jpg

2016%2BMazda%2BCX-5%2BLED%2BHeadlights_01.jpg

Same happened to me. Replaced and everything good now.
I was driving behind a recently-waxed black Silverado and noticed my driver-side DRL is very dim compared to the passenger-side. I checked it out at home and found the driver-side DRL is very dim and also flickering, while the passenger-side is very bright and steady. Since the car is covered under warranty, I took it to the Mazda stealer. They said the entire LED headlight module will have to be replaced under warranty and asked me to come back in a week so that they can order and receive the parts before the appointment.

Have any of you had this problem? I really like the LED lights and thought the tech package was a steal for the price. But if it fails so soon and if I have to replace the whole module whenever there's a failure, I am concerned.

Does anyone have pictures of one side being the older H version and the other side with the newer J?

My driver side is being replaced with the J version tomorrow but my passenger side has the older H version installed.

Will they look really mismatched?

Does anyone have pictures of one side being the older H version and the other side with the newer J?

My driver side is being replaced with the J version tomorrow but my passenger side has the older H version installed.

Will they look really mismatched?

I do not have a picture as I traded mine in soon after it was replaced, I can tell you though that my driver's side was replaced while my passenger side was not and there was definitely a slight color variance that I could see when reflected in the back of other cars. The newer one seemed colder or whiter than the original. Also throw in the mix of it's a brand new headlight, cover and all so there's nothing obscuring it as there is in the older light. Just my experience though, I could see it when looking for it, don't know how noticeable it would be to others.

I do not have a picture as I traded mine in soon after it was replaced, I can tell you though that my driver's side was replaced while my passenger side was not and there was definitely a slight color variance that I could see when reflected in the back of other cars. The newer one seemed colder or whiter than the original. Also throw in the mix of it's a brand new headlight, cover and all so there's nothing obscuring it as there is in the older light. Just my experience though, I could see it when looking for it, don't know how noticeable it would be to others.

What about the DRL ring? With one being solid and brighter and the other being dots and dimmer? Was it very noticeable?

I expressed the concern with my dealer told me if they can visibly see a difference they would look into replacing the other side. Im curious if it will be enough for them to tell.

What about the DRL ring? With one being solid and brighter and the other being dots and dimmer? Was it very noticeable?

I expressed the concern with my dealer told me if they can visibly see a difference they would look into replacing the other side. I’m curious if it will be enough for them to tell.
I didn't notice any dots until I specifically looked for them, and that was only after I read about it on here. Then I looked and I saw that they actually were dots. But I didn't notice a major break up in the continuity of the light ring, like I said it wasn't something I noticed until I was told about it. As for brightness my new headlight actually seemed brighter than the old one, but that could be for a myriad of reasons, the difference in light color, weathering of the older headlight, or maybe my passenger one had started to go and just didn't notice it as my driver's side was horribly dim and then completely died (just the ring, not the headlight) before they were able to replace it.

Thanks for the info - I wonder why there are reports of it being dimmer then? I guess Ill have to wait until tomrrow - fingers crossed...

Ill wash the car first so I have a good comparison.

Thanks for the info - I wonder why there are reports of it being dimmer then? I guess I’ll have to wait until tomrrow - fingers crossed...

I’ll wash the car first so I have a good comparison.
It might be dimmer, obviously the two are constructed different so there will be changes. It could also be our perception due to the color variance, the original is warmer, whereas the new light is colder. And my passenger light might've been going out as well, I was out of warranty, so they did a good faith replacement of the driver's side and I let it go before finding out if the passenger's side was going because I would've had to replace that one.

I expressed the concern with my dealer told me if they can visibly see a difference they would look into replacing the other side. Im curious if it will be enough for them to tell.
Since your driver side is being replaced with the "J" version but your passenger side has the older "H" version installed, it's hard to tell if there'll be any visual difference as there're 5 revisions after the original version. I don't need side-by-side comparison and I can tell the difference between my new "J" version and my failed original accent strip LED DRLs. I made sure my replacements are the latest "J" version as my dealer started stocking those expensive LED headlights due to many failures and I don't want to get some leftover older version from their stock.

When my passenger side LED DRL failed last August I asked my dealer if the replacement looks different in color temperature to the other side, can I ask for replacement on the other side. He said if that's the case, they'll replace both, just like your dealer said. Of course I was concerned the original LED DRLs will fail eventually I want both replaced with the latest version if possible under warranty. Luckily my driver side DRL failed a week later. (boom03)

And I waited until this March right before my new car warranty expires making sure I'll get the most updated LED headlights so far under warranty!

Thanks for the info.

My passenger side failed in October and the dealer replaced it with one they had in stock which happened to be the H version (didnt know at the time of replacement about the J). The one they replaced it with looked equal to the Drivers side so I had happy.

Now, a few months later the Drivers side went. After doing research I saw about the J version. I checked with my dealer and they confirmed the J version was order for my drivers side.

I contacted the dealer and told them I was a little upset they didnt give me the J version back in November and instead used an H version that was in stock from July (sticker on headlight shows (7/2017).

They told me if theres any noticeable difference they will try to get me the J for the passenger side (I have a feeling they will deny even if it is mismatched).

Mazda CC covered the passenger side in November for 75% of the P&L cost and the Drivers side for tomorrow at 100% of the P&L cost.

Seeing as I have 65k and they still covered most of the replacement costs I dont want to sound ungrateful but at the same time I dont want it looking mismatched when they should have ordered a J version in the first place back in November instead of using an older stock piece.

I guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

So quick follow up. I had the light replaced today - from what I can tell the new J DRL ring looks identical to the older H version on my passenger side - I can’t really see any noticeable differences in my dark garage - I’m going to look again tonight from a further distance.

However, the new J headlight (left on photo) seems to have a more yellowish color to it when compared the other side older H side (right on photo). I can see the tint difference when looking at the housing from the side and when looking at the wall projection. I’ll further evaluate this tonight but I’m uncertain if I should make a deal out of it.

My service manager told me to call him tomorrow either way if I’m happy or not, and if not he will get back on the phone with corporate and look into replacing the H version with the J.

I know sometimes LEDs can vary in color for the exact same part so I haven’t decided if it’s worth proceeding or not - especially since I’m at 65k, way out of warranty and they covered most of the cost with the first two.

I tried to take a picture of the color difference but it's hard with a camera. This is the best I got. I can see the color difference more on my iphone then on my laptop.

Attachments

• Headlight.jpg
    Headlight.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
So quick follow up. ⋯
So MNAO covered 75% and now 100% this time on your LED headlight replacements even though you're out of warranty, that really a nice guesture!

I'm pretty sure "J" version was available last November. I guess you should always try to get "J" version for both sides if you can. I believe something must be wrong on "H" version, hence the upgraded "J" superseded it.

Can you see those white dots along the DRL accent strip on your "H" LED headlight?

So MNAO covered 75% and now 100% this time on your LED headlight replacements even though you're out of warranty, that really a nice guesture!

I'm pretty sure "J" version was available last November. I guess you should always try to get "J" version for both sides if you can. I believe something must be wrong on "H" version, hence the upgraded "J" superseded it.

Can you see those white dots along the DRL accent strip on your "H" LED headlight?

Yes, my total out of pocket for parts and labor for both sides was only $300 when it should have been around $2,600 - I am very grateful to Mazda CEC which is why i'm not sure if I should be picky and ask for a third replacement.

I took pictures of both DRLs if anyone is interested.

Passenger's side (installed 11/2017):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 7/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-031H

Driver's side (installed 03/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 1/2018)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J

I'm not sure why the part numbers don't match up - but both look to have the dot matrix DRLs and around equal brightness and color. The only issue I seem to be having is the newer one looks to have a slightly more yellow tint on the headlamp.

Attachments

• D_DRL.JPG
    D_DRL.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 307
  • D_Close.JPG
    D_Close.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 284
  • P_DRL.JPG
    P_DRL.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 281
  • P_Close.JPG
    P_Close.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Here are the part stickers since I can only do 5 Images per post...

Attachments

• P_Sticker.JPG
    P_Sticker.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 247
  • D_Sticker.JPG
    D_Sticker.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Here are the part stickers since I can only do 5 Images per post...
Where are the part number labels in your picture? Yeh the part numbers are wrong, and both of yours are "H" version? BTW the "J" version LED headlights are available as early as my post here dated on 8/21/2017:

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯ (nailbyt)

And here are part numbers on the box of my replacement LED headlights:

Got my 2016 CX-5 back with a new pair of J version LED headlights replaced under warranty due to failed accent LED DRLs. Mazda/Stanley actually has changed the hardware design of the accent LED DRLs as my originals use fiber optic LED accent light similar to BMWs angel eyes, but my new ones now have many bright white LED dots which looks like most other LED accent DRLs. Of course I like smooth and more expensive fiber optic LED accent DRLs much better, but apparently Mazda/Stanley couldnt overcome the reliability issue with fiber optic LED accent light for some reason and had to change the hardware design totally. Now I know why the MSRPs on newer J version LED headlights are about $150 lower than previous versions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218817View attachment 218818

Back