Daytime running lights dim/flickering

For those having headlight issues, did you ever have yours replaced d/t the white hazing inside the lens issue? I have had mine replaced and haven't had any issues(knock on wood). Wonder if the new headlights are improved in that area as well.

At just over 27k, my passenger side LED DRL failed on my '16 CX-5 GT. Just received a call that the headlight assembly has arrived at the dealership following a national back-order of over 2 weeks. Like others have commented, my concern is how will Mazda handle this when it fails again, (or the driver's side), when the car is out of warranty! Is this something that we should notify NHTSA as potential safety hazard to force Mazda into a recall scenario? On an unrelated matter, I've had (2) center console compartment latches fail on me thus far. Mazda quality is becoming a concern for me at this point.

At just over 27k, my passenger side LED DRL failed on my '16 CX-5 GT. Just received a call that the headlight assembly has arrived at the dealership following a national back-order of over 2 weeks. Like others have commented, my concern is how will Mazda handle this when it fails again, (or the driver's side), when the car is out of warranty! Is this something that we should notify NHTSA as potential safety hazard to force Mazda into a recall scenario? On an unrelated matter, I've had (2) center console compartment latches fail on me thus far. Mazda quality is becoming a concern for me at this point.

What do you do when your headlight goes out? You replace it. Yeesh. None of these items have lifetime warranties.

Well Craig, as others have pointed out, the burnt headlight that you are suggesting to simply replace runs about $1,500+ to replace. This is due to the fact that when the LED DRL fails, you need to replace the entire headlight assembly which has the auto leveling and adaptive steering feature too. So, you wouldn't exactly want to run out and spend that type of money when a bulb burns out-especially prematurely with a known defect at the factory!

What do you do when your headlight goes out? You replace it. Yeesh. None of these items have lifetime warranties.
Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯ (nailbyt)

For what it's worth, I just notified NHTSA on-line regarding the issue with the LED DRLs. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?
I agree with you. We've seen at least 10 reports on failed LED DRLs in this thread alone, there're many more in another 2016 CX5 LED headlights thread! People who have failed LED DRLs should file a complaint at NHTSA website like you did hopefully forcing Mazda to come up with a recall. A recall will protect many 2016(.5) CX-5 owners with LED headlights even after warranty has expired.

For failed light owners, what is the build date in the drivers door for your 2016?

I'm replying to both threads since I'm not sure which one is more active and I'm trying to keep tabs on the issue.

I noticed today driving in front of my wife that the passenger side DRL is noticeably dimmer then the drivers side.

Ours is a 2016 GT with 51,000 miles on it.

I have an appointment next week with Mazda - my service manager said they would try to work with us since it's out of warranty. Should have gotten the extended warranty with all the tech this car has - took a gamble and lost this time it seems.

My fear is when the drivers side will go :(

The price of these headlights is outrageous.

I am probably one of the most recent to report this same problem. Just made appointment yesterday to get this resolved. Did not like the service managers attitude. Like I never heard of this. Not happy.

I am probably one of the most recent to report this same problem. Just made appointment yesterday to get this resolved. Did not like the service managers attitude. Like I never heard of this. Not happy.
Then please contact Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations to express your dissatisfaction. And file a complaint at NHTSA website hopefully forcing a recall so that we all have some protection after the warranty period. With so many revisions within 2 years on 2016 LED headlight assembly, we don't know even with the latest "J" version which would have longer lifespan on LED DRLs than original version - meaning we may be facing the same dilemma after 2 years of the DRL usage on replacement unit!

Daytime running lights dim/flickering/gone

Add our CX-5 to the long list of failed LED DRLs! Wife just called and she said she saw the reflection of a store-front glass that the passenger side LED Signature DRL is gone! This problem is really consistent and I was wondering who still has original LED headlights from factory? Wife was mad about the quality of our CX-5 and I can see her next vehicle soon will be a Lexus!

Add our CX-5 to the long list of failed LED DRLs! Wife just called and she said she saw the reflection of a store-front glass that the passenger side LED Signature DRL is gone! This problem is really consistent and I was wondering who still has original LED headlights from factory? Wife was mad about the quality of our CX-5 and I can see her next vehicle soon will be a Lexus!

Yeah this is getting pretty bad. There needs to be a recall. I had the milky haze issue on both headlights and had those replaced probably around 10k miles. My headlights have been perfect since. I believe because I have these new improved ones. But yeah, Mazda has been pretty disappointing in their quality. Problem is, nothing else in this class looks as good or drive as good. So I can't even look towards anything else. There are some nice luxury cars(Lexus NX), but obviously more expensive and so are repairs.

I still have the original LED headlights ('16 GT with a build date of 05/15, 25K miles). No haze, no flickering, no problems. My CX-5 is garaged when it's at home and since I'm retired it doesn't sit in a workplace parking lot for hours a day. I don't know if this has helped me up to this point but I'm sure it hasn't hurt. At this point, since everything gets replaced as a unit only Mazda knows if the component(s) that fails is always the same or if there are multiple causes of failure. With a part this expensive I hope Mazda is doing some failure analysis. At least you're still under warranty yrwei.

Have you shown her the Mirage?

Have you shown her the Mirage?
If I dare to recommend Mitsubishi Mirage she would divorce me this time! ;) She wanted a Lexus RX 350 and I persuaded her to get a CX-5 instead. She definitely was not happy about the failed LED DRLs and calling her CX-5 "this piece of sh**"!

Recalls are only for safety related items. The white haze is the subject of a TSB and is normal. There is also another TSB which is quite interesting. It shows how to use rare earth magnets to clear the condensation from the inside of the headlights - very inventive!

3 days after passenger-side LED accent strip DRL failed on our 01/15 built 2016 CX-5, we found the driver-side LED DRL also failed. I'm amazed the precision quality on lifespan of the LED DRLs as both failed within 3 days! Strange thing is they're both not dim or flickering, but the whole accent strips are off.

I guess we have to consider ourself lucky having both LED headlights failed within the warranty period and not to worry about if the second one would fail after the warranty period. (whistle)

3 days after passenger-side LED accent strip DRL failed on our 01/15 built 2016 CX-5, we found the driver-side LED DRL also failed. I'm amazed the precision quality on lifespan of the LED DRLs as both failed within 3 days! Strange thing is they're both not dim or flickering, but the whole accent strips are off.

I guess we have to consider ourself lucky having both LED headlights failed within the warranty period and not to worry about if the second one would fail after the warranty period. (whistle)

I have a feeling the replacement units are of higher quality. We haven't seen any posts about a replacement headlight unit having any problems yet. Famous last words though....

(whistle)

Back