Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Registered Member

CX-5

For $1200 I think I would mount a couple of snow plow headlights on a bar mounted in front of the grill. Then I would take some good pictures and post them at the dealer and send them to Mazda North America. I might even park the car at the dealers on Saterdays

It might not get me any help from Mazda but I would have headlights, and feel better.
    Why would a free people elect for themselves 'lawmakers'?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

Quote Originally Posted by fdew View Post
    For $1200 I think I would mount a couple of snow plow headlights on a bar mounted in front of the grill. Then I would take some good pictures and post them at the dealer and send them to Mazda North America. I might even park the car at the dealers on Saterdays

It might not get me any help from Mazda but I would have headlights, and feel better.
    Well, $1200 is only for parts. With labor, it'll be $1500+

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT AWD/ 2016 CX-9 GT AWD

my driver side LED DRL (not the headlight portion) just started going dim/flickering yesterday.....looks like i'm headed for the dealer for warranty replacement (sigh)....

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I know LEDs can have issues in cold weather until they get warmed up...........then again Arunka is in Houston, TX.

Registered Member

CX-9 2013 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
    my driver side LED DRL (not the headlight portion) just started going dim/flickering yesterday.....looks like i'm headed for the dealer for warranty replacement (sigh)....
    whoa, that's like four 2016's with faulty LED DRL's already...... at least they're all still under warranty, but seems like a high failure rate all of a sudden, could it be cold weather ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by astriuminc View Post
    whoa, that's like four 2016's with faulty LED DRL's already...... at least they're all still under warranty, but seems like a high failure rate all of a sudden, could it be cold weather ?
    i dunno...it worked fine during last year's winter.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    I know LEDs can have issues in cold weather until they get warmed up...........then again Arunka is in Houston, TX.
    i'm in NJ where it is 50-70 degrees today (and yesterday)....i don't think this is temp related.

Quote Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
    i'm in NJ where it is 50-70 degrees today (and yesterday)....i don't think this is temp related.
    Likely electrical related. How much miles do you guys have on your CX-5? I just don't see many issues researching the Internet in Mazda6's in terms of lenses being cloudy and in terms of LEDs flickering. Shoot even Mazda3's and CX-3's. The CX-5's seem to be getting bad batches

....wait a minute I wonder if the two issues are related? Didn't some folks report moisture in there lenses? If so the moisture could give the LED electronic boards some gremlins?
    Last edited by CX-5um; 11-03-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Registered Member

My CX-5 has 21k miles and never had the foggy/moisture issues.

Registered Member

CX-5

The problem could be caused by a bad ground. I think I would try this first.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Stanley of Japan made the HID units for Mazda's and are known to be of good quality. I'm not sure who makes the LED units for Mazda but I wouldn't be surprised if its Stanley. Keep in mind Stanley makes HID units for Honda/Acura (example TSX, s2000) which were highly sought after for their high output and sharp cutoff lens. OEM issued LEDs usually have a lower failure rate than aftermarket ones. But failures are to be expected somehow someway. If not eventually.
    Checked my LED headlight lenses and they have the following imprint:

Driver side:

DRL DOT VOR
    SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
    U STANLEY W2416 L

Passenger side:

DOT VOR DRL
    SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
    L STANLEY W2416 U

So our LED headlights are made by Stanley.

Unfortunately while I was looking at those fine print closely, I saw some stains forming inside of the lens around the lower part! I guess my LED headlights from factory can't escape the curse and eventually need to get replaced according to TSB!

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Checked my LED headlight lenses and they have the following imprint:

Driver side:

DRL DOT VOR
    SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
    U STANLEY W2416 L

Passenger side:

DOT VOR DRL
    SAE HLAI5PP2 DRL 13
    L STANLEY W2416 U

So our LED headlights are made by Stanley.

Unfortunately while I was looking at those fine print closely, I saw some stains forming inside of the lens around the lower part! I guess my LED headlights from factory can't escape the curse and eventually need to get replaced according to TSB!
    Stains forming on lower part of lens? 99% sure stains were caused by moisture.
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-Condensation

Moisture can get in via gaskets, bulb housing loose, or through the breather tube. My understanding is that some form of traceable moisture in housing is actually normal but if it cannot evacuate/dissipate out enough through the breather tube it may accumulate and cause problems like say stained/cloudy lenses...maybe even affecting LED boards.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 11-04-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Stains inside of LED Lenses

Stains forming on lower part of lens? 99% sure stains were caused by moisture.
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-Condensation

Moisture can get in via gaskets, bulb housing loose, or through the breather tube. My understanding is that some form of traceable moisture in housing is actually normal but if it cannot evacuate/dissipate out enough through the breather tube it may accumulate and cause problems like say stained/cloudy lenses...maybe even affecting LED boards.
    I wish these stains are from moisture. But we seldom rain here, and I've never seen moisture forming inside of headlights. And those stains are dark gray colored, doesn't look like from dried-out moisture.

Registered Member

Likely electrical related. How much miles do you guys have on your CX-5? I just don't see many issues researching the Internet in Mazda6's in terms of lenses being cloudy and in terms of LEDs flickering. Shoot even Mazda3's and CX-3's. The CX-5's seem to be getting bad batches

....wait a minute I wonder if the two issues are related? Didn't some folks report moisture in there lenses? If so the moisture could give the LED electronic boards some gremlins?
    have ~24k miles when this happened. interestingly the LED headlight itself is fine....just the DRL outline of the driver side headlamp unit.

Registered Member

Stealer replaced my entire headlight module last week. Problem resolved. Hope this doesn't happen again after warranty expires

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast