Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

My passenger side just started flickering today and is very dim. 41,000 miles. Will be visiting the dealership this week. Hopefully they will take care of me, was planning on purchasing a Mazda 3 next year once the CX-5 is paid off.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Quote Originally Posted by mackworth View Post
    Well, good news for me too. I had both of mine replaced today for a total of 50 dollars! Not as good as free, but thats good enough for me. Mine also end with H despite the invoice saying J. Assuming those dates on it are where they were made, my right headlight was made 2019-03-13 and the left was made 2018-10-24.
    Thanks for the info. $50 for both? You definitely are a lucky one!

Quote Originally Posted by pmill View Post
    My passenger side just started flickering today and is very dim. 41,000 miles. Will be visiting the dealership this week. Hopefully they will take care of me, was planning on purchasing a Mazda 3 next year once the CX-5 is paid off.
    No, Mazda dealer won’t do anything for you. They won’t eat almost a thousand dollars by themselves. You have to call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations seeking for help.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Thanks for the info. $50 for both? You definitely are a lucky one!
    Yes 50 dollars (25 each). I have had all my service done through 40k miles at my local dealership and the guy at Mazda NA said that probably helped.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mackworth View Post
    Yes 50 dollars (25 each). I have had all my service done through 40k miles at my local dealership and the guy at Mazda NA said that probably helped.
    No doubt. You scratch their back, they'll scratch yours.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT w/ tech & activesense

Quote Originally Posted by pifumd View Post
    Welp, I noticed the 'halo' part of my passenger light looked really dim in a reflection this afternoon, and sure enough it is flickering. So I came here and found this thread. Guess I have some reading to do. My warranty ran out about 6 months ago.
    Not quite 2 months later, and my driver side is doing the same thing. Disappointing.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Work schedule has been busy, but long story short, Mazda USA support is taking care of mine for $95. Dealer quoted me $1059, so I will gladly pay $95 to get it fixed.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by pmill View Post
    Work schedule has been busy, but long story short, Mazda USA support is taking care of mine for $95. Dealer quoted me $1059, so I will gladly pay $95 to get it fixed.
    I'm curious how are peoples experience with Mazda North American Operations, seems like a bit that is left out of most individuals experience with this common problem. I'm assuming the car is taken to the dealer and getting basically a repair quote for the full price to replace the headlight, then the number in the "contact us" section on the mazdausa.com web site is called, then I'm guessing mazda contacts your local dealer where the original quote was from then a discount is applied?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense

Quote Originally Posted by integ3 View Post
    I'm curious how are peoples experience with Mazda North American Operations, seems like a bit that is left out of most individuals experience with this common problem. I'm assuming the car is taken to the dealer and getting basically a repair quote for the full price to replace the headlight, then the number in the "contact us" section on the mazdausa.com web site is called, then I'm guessing mazda contacts your local dealer where the original quote was from then a discount is applied?
    I went to the dealer first and they gave me the quote, ~2k for both lights. They directed me to Mazda NA. I called Mazda and complained. They gave me a ticket number and sent me an email saying they would contact the dealer for information on the repair. I got an email saying the repair was approved for 50 dollars and it would come with a 12 month warranty. I then scheduled the service with my dealer who was already aware of the approval.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Mazda seems to be handling those light issues.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Mazda seems to be handling those light issues.
    I love my CX-5, and definitely plan on purchasing another Mazda in the future. But to be honest, if Mazda didn't take care of this issue for me I may have changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I disagree. MNAO should have some standard to compensate those 2016 CX-5 owners who unfortunately have major design flaw on their LED headlights. For example, earlier last year a friend of mine his DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was not willing to cover the most and he had to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles. He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering, and he swore he'd never buy another Mazda although he had bought two. Yeah he bought a Lexus soon after.
    Last edited by yrwei52; 09-06-2019 at 02:32 AM.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I disagree. MNAO should have some standard to compensate those 2016 CX-5 owners who unfortunately have major design flaw on their LED headlights. For example, earlier this year a friend of mine his DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was not willing to cover the most and he had to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles. He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering, and he swore he'd never buy another Mazda although he had bought two. Yeah he bought a Lexus soon after.
    You're right, they should have a standard. In fact, they should extend the warranty on those headlights for all 16 LEDs. Your friend got screwed, especially at 37 months. That's just bad business. Maybe they're getting smarter now.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

My well out of warranty CX-5 (about 75,000 miles) lost both its DLR's over the last year. Mazda Customer Experience Center agreed to replace both headlight units for a total of $200. Given how many miles the vehicle had, I thought I was treated very fairly. I'm considering a 2020 turbo model to replace my current CX-5 and this reasonable response from Mazda will play a positive factor in that decision.

He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering,
    Bad ass. He sure showed them! :rolleyes:

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast