Daytime running lights dim/flickering

According to my dealer, the DRL flickering would have forced them to fail me if they were to have officially performed the inspection. Due to this unique situation, they decided to not officially start the inspection as they would then fail me, giving me only 10 days to rectify the failure. My headlights are working fine, just the DRL on one side is flickering. Hope this helps.

Gotcha.

So it sounds like one of those "not legally required but has to work if your car's equipped with it" kind of thing here in Virginia.

I'm glad you got the recall notice in time for inspection!

And be glad you don't live up north and have to pass Emissions Testing every year!

Since the culprit of the failing LED DRLs is the wiring gaskets which emits corrosive air and damages the LED circuitry, I was wondering if the early replacement of “J” version LED headlights are subject to the recall replacing these wiring gaskets? The wiring gaskets shouldn’t be part of LED headlight assembly, and the wiring gaskets should get replaced even if the LED headlights have been replaced in early days. But in my case I haven’t received any recall notice, which makes me wonder.

I'm willing to bet gaskets are part of the headlights - look how complex it is to take out per recall notice:
1593536674359.png

I think so long as your headlights don't fall into impacted range, no urgent need to stop in:
1593536593681.png

I found this from the history to be really fascinating - This is basically talking about the milky residue many of us saw before our DRLs failed:

December, 2015: Parts supplier changed the original gray LED connecter sealing gasket to a low sulfur black gasket, in order to improve a separate cosmetic issue which affected the appearance of the headlight housing. At this time, Mazda and parts supplier had not been aware that this change could eventually become a permanent countermeasure for DRL functional failure.

I'm willing to bet gaskets are part of the headlights - look how complex it is to take out per recall notice:

I think so long as your headlights don't fall into impacted range, no urgent need to stop in:

I found this from the history to be really fascinating - This is basically talking about the milky residue many of us saw before our DRLs failed:
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply with a link to NHTSA’s LED DRL recall notice.

Yes I aware the previous TSB about the milky residue and eventually developed to this LED DRL recall. That’s just to tell us that the first fix to a problem sometimes won’t be a true fix, like the rear brake caliper EPB TSBs for 2016 CX-5 which has been revised at least 3 times. Let’s hope the cylinder deactivation recall is the very last and the only fix needed.

Back