Daytime running lights dim/flickering

I'm not even at 20k yet. I do wonder if I have the newer style already. Bought mine very late in the cycle. If I look real close I swear I can see individual leds.

I also have a 2016 GT w/ tech and the DRL issue. At 30k miles, the driver side had issues and it was fixed under warranty. At 39k miles I noticed the passenger flickering; past warranty, ugh.

I found this thread and used the advice given.
First I talked to the local dealer and they said they couldn't do anything with a work order from corporate (I had to try the easy route first)
Next I called the corporate number but that took almost a week of calling. Their hold times were insane. Finally I talked to someone and they made it sound like they'd take care of it but needed my local dealer to take pictures and get it into the system.
Back to the dealer, they snapped some pics and did whatever they do. The next day I had an email from Mazda saying the work is approved and schedule an appt with the deal. Great news!
Contacted the dealer, part ordered and a week later (yesterday), the new DRL was installed.

To sum it all up, past warranty, called corp, replaced for free.

I also have a 2016 GT w/ tech and the DRL issue. At 30k miles, the driver side had issues and it was fixed under warranty. At 39k miles I noticed the passenger flickering; past warranty, ugh.

I found this thread and used the advice given.
First I talked to the local dealer and they said they couldn't do anything with a work order from corporate (I had to try the easy route first)
Next I called the corporate number but that took almost a week of calling. Their hold times were insane. Finally I talked to someone and they made it sound like they'd take care of it but needed my local dealer to take pictures and get it into the system.
Back to the dealer, they snapped some pics and did whatever they do. The next day I had an email from Mazda saying the work is approved and schedule an appt with the deal. Great news!
Contacted the dealer, part ordered and a week later (yesterday), the new DRL was installed.

To sum it all up, past warranty, called corp, replaced for free.
You*re the lucky one. Several here had to pay $25 ~ $150. A friend of mine had to pay $300 (he refused) to replace both LED headlights with one month past 3 years and 19,500 miles.

At least 30 minutes of wait time to reach a live person is a norm calling Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations.

This just proves that different person handles things differently.

The new lights were fitted a few days ago...

IMG_20180806_181122.jpg

cache.php

Last edited:
We'll at 40,000miles, the drivers side DRL just went out on our CX-5. The passenger side was replaced a few months ago by the dealer, but they made a point of letting us know they were "doing us a favor" by covering it since it was out of warranty. Time to put in another call and see if they'll do us "another favor".

We'll at 40,000miles, the drivers side DRL just went out on our CX-5. The passenger side was replaced a few months ago by the dealer, but they made a point of letting us know they were "doing us a favor" by covering it since it was out of warranty. Time to put in another call and see if they'll do us "another favor".
Your Mazda dealer definitely is a good one and they did do you a big favor. My friend couldn't get his failing LED headlights replaced for free with one month over 36 months but only 19,500 miles. You didn't even have to wait for more than 30 minutes on the phone talking to a CS rep from Mazda North American Operations! :)

Your Mazda dealer definitely is a good one and they did do you a big favor. My friend couldn't get his failing LED headlights replaced for free with one month over 36 months but only 19,500 miles. You didn't even have to wait for more than 30 minutes on the phone talking to a CS rep from Mazda North American Operations! :)
Yep, hopefully my luck holds out again.

2016 CX-5 (purchased in July 2015).

This is a bit disconcerting though. I have LED's that have lasted MUCH longer than these DRL's, in rougher conditions (mounted on a V-twin motorcycle that I use off road). That was my primary reason for going full LED in the first place. (scratch)

So do the 2017-2018 have "better" LEDs?
The reliability can be better, but with one potential issue. LEDs have a general life expectancy of 50,000 hours. For 2016 CX-5, we can afford not to have the accent strip DRLs if they ever failed. But for 2nd-gen CX-5 the low-beam headlights are part of DRL setup. We can't afford not to have the failed low-beam headlight due to the heavy-useage and have to pay big bucks to replace it if the warranty runs out.

I like the look of all the LEDs on '16+ but very content $$$ that my '15 has the old school HIDs with aftermarket LED DRLs. HIDs are dirt cheap these days... my G35x and GX both use them as well (all have AFS). I am more than content with their illumination capabilities even if their external coolness factor is long past....

That being the case, that the DRL in the 2017-2018 use the low beams for the DRL, it may be best to turn the DRL feature off in the US since they are not required. Don't ya think?

That being the case, that the DRL in the 2017-2018 use the low beams for the DRL, it may be best to turn the DRL feature off in the US since they are not required. Don't ya think?
If I had a gen-2 CX-5, I definitely would turn the DRL function off as its not required in the US. Based on the history of longevity on these LED headlights and high replacement cost on CX-5, Im not going to risk the possibility of losing low-beam LED headlights due to heavy usage. Now I have a 2016 CX-5 and I was lucky got newer J version replacement LED headlights on both under warranty, I decided to keep the DRLs on. The worst case scenario for me is Id lose these LED DRLs if they ever failed again.

For the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for 2017 and older CX-5s obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:
Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

No. The headlights should, seriously, Outlast the car.
Yes, it should if the LED lighting system is properly designed and high-quality parts are used. But the record of LED headlights on CX-5 says otherwise!

So let's assume they are all going to fail because there were some issues in a few models 2 years ago? No, Chicken Little. Don't be such a pessimist.

*Looks up the cost of some new headlight bulbs for '14 Touring*

Oh...about $20 for 2, imagine that. Sometimes higher tech is not always better. Looks cool, sure.

So let's assume they are all going to fail because there were some issues in a few models 2 years ago? No, Chicken Little. Don't be such a pessimist.
No, the issue takes time to develop, just like cylinder deactivation issue which Im against. And it isnt just some issues in a few models 2 years ago. In gen-1 only 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package comes with LED headlights. And I can almost guarantee you these LED DRLs from factory will fail with much shorter life expectancy apparently by either poor design and/or inferior parts. If the replacement cost is low then we have no worries. And we dont know if gen-2 LED headlights would have issues in the future. My point is still why risk?

No, the issue takes time to develop,
So let's live in fear....

And it isn*t just some issues in a few models 2 years ago.
Yes, it is. 2016 GT LED headlight only and no, not all of them. Has it happened ONCE in a 17 that we are aware of?

And I can almost guarantee you these LED DRLs from factory will fail with much shorter life expectancy apparently by either poor design and/or inferior parts.
The new gen? And what are you basing this on?

And we don*t know if gen-2 LED headlights would have issues in the future. My point is still why risk?

Because some of us choose to not live in fear?!? The gremlins win if we do that. LOL

Back