Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Has anyone replaced the headlight assembly on their own? My lights are adaptive, and I'm going to replace the defective one this weekend. Curious if there's anything to look out for or some random setup/maintenance mode that needs to be set in order to replace the assembly?

Welp, got it done. The beam height was a bit off but otherwise, things went ok. That was easily adjusted. Doesn't seem any other adjustments/setup was required.

Yep, I posted details in the "what did you do to your cx-5 today" thread. See this link. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...r-CX-5-Today&p=6623206&viewfull=1#post6623206

Spoiler, Yes, the bumper did have to come off, but it wasn't that hard to do.
What did the new light cost? Where did you get it?
A dealer whos on the CX5 Facebook page. PM me and Ill give you his contact info. Total cost including shipping was $700. Still very expensive but the dealer here quoted me $1200.
These LED headlights used to have list price for $1,200+ each, now Mazda has lowered MSRP to $799.99! Heres new price info from an online Mazda parts seller:

Composite Headlamp Passenger Side - Mazda (KA0G-51-031J)
List Price: $799.99
You Save: $240.00 (30% off)
Sale Price: $559.99

Composite Headlamp Driver Side - Mazda (KA0G-51-041J)

These LED headlights used to have list price for $1,200+ each, now Mazda has lowered MSRP to $799.99! Heres new price info from an online Mazda parts seller:

Is there a preferred online OEM parts store ?

List Price:$799.99
You Save:$240.00 (30% off)
Sale Price:$559.99

List Price:$799.99
You Save:$240.00 (30% off)
Sale Price:$559.99

Im glad the prices have come down. [emoji1417]

I joined to thank everyone for all the extremely helpful information on this topic. My 2016 CX-5 GT (6 months out of warranty) came down with a case of the dim/flickering LED running light on the driver's side several weeks ago. When I did a quick search to see if I could find any information about the issue, I was thrilled to find all the details in this thread, which helped me be very prepared before I contacted my dealer.

My car was manufactured early in the run, May, 2015 (purchased June, 2015) and it has the KA0G 51 040C original lighting part. I was not pleased about the replacement cost I might have to stomach for this, and thanks to the information here, was ready to talk to Mazda USA, if need be. Fortunately my dealer, Classic Mazda East in Orlando, was FANTASTIC about this. I called first to discuss the issue and they told me to bring it in a for no-cost diagnosis.

Took it in today and, much to my surprise, they replaced the headlight unit with the latest KA0G 51 041J - listed cost $799, plus labor at NO CHARGE to me. I was prepared to have negotiation of the cost and I hoped to have it at least reduced, but this exceeded my expectations and was totally painless. Really great experience with them. I bought the car there and greased the wheel a bit by popping for an oil change and tire rotation today, so maybe that helped. ;)

I'm a bit nervous that the right LED may go out in the future, but will cross that bridge when I come to it. If there is any difference in the brightness/color temperature between old and new, it would have to be extremely minor, because I'm not noticing it.

Very glad to have my intimidating scowling eyes back, as opposed to the "Hey Sailor" wink I had been giving everyone for the past month. ;)

Thanks again for all the great help and information.

Ha! sailor wink.
Yes I will say I think be only seen one instance where Mazda refused any help at all.

Hello Mazda community,
thinking of buying 2016 cx-5 GT and wanted to check how can i avoid issue with headlight.
I understand the issue only happens with headunits that have half-circle led lights but not with regular headunits that look like 2014-2015, there is no led there.
So if i just buy 2016 cx-5 GT with non-led lights - I should be fine, right?

It's just this issue and cracking windshield glass is concerning. I like everything else though.

Hello Mazda community,
thinking of buying 2016 cx-5 GT and wanted to check how can i avoid issue with headlight.
I understand the issue only happens with headunits that have half-circle led lights but not with regular headunits that look like 2014-2015, there is no led there.
So if i just buy 2016 cx-5 GT with non-led lights - I should be fine, right?

It's just this issue and cracking windshield glass is concerning. I like everything else though.

The issue is only with the LED running lights/LED adaptive/swiveling headlight units on 2016s. They were just offered for the one, long model year, and then the 2017 was the new body. You can get the GT without that option, which was part of the Tech package. Before 2016, the adaptive lights were HID and had the conventional incandescent round running lights.

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an upgrade to my daytime running lights. Currently the standard yellow type colour and let the car down. Looking for white/blue/xeonon style please, without upsetting the cars OBC

Thanks in advance

Daytime running lights dim/flickering Originally Posted by Srad600

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an upgrade to my daytime running lights. Currently the standard yellow type colour and let the car down. Looking for white/blue/xeonon style please, without upsetting the cars OBC

Thanks in advance
Not an easy task as the design of the high-beam halogen DRLs is changing the circuitry from parallel to serial to reduce the light output. The best I'd do is to disable the factory DRLs and use aftermarket LED strips which come with the fog light bezels as the DRLs. Of course it's not exactly the same in function like the real DRLs.

After having the DRL's fail completely on my 2016 CX-5 GT I think I am going to disable the DRL's on my new CX-9 if for no other reason than to preserve them as silly as that sounds. I know they look cool but I can't see them when I'm driving and we don't drive in that many traffic situations so why bother with them. This car will be under full warranty for 4 years but if it's reliable I may keep it for 10 years and I don't want to spend 2 grand on headlights..

This issue is specifically on this one car in 16. I wouldn't worry about your CX9.

Well, count me in as another 16 GT with this issue. My wife noticed our passenger side DRL went out. Not looking forward to dealing with this. Is it even worth contacting Mazda?

After having the DRL's fail completely on my 2016 CX-5 GT I think I am going to disable the DRL's on my new CX-9 if for no other reason than to preserve them as silly as that sounds. I know they look cool but I can't see them when I'm driving and we don't drive in that many traffic situations so why bother with them. This car will be under full warranty for 4 years but if it's reliable I may keep it for 10 years and I don't want to spend 2 grand on headlights..

These are popular...surely junk yards will have some from t boned and rear impact wrecks?

Back