Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Go straight to corporate, do not pass Go, do not call a dealer.

well mine driver's side started flickering at around 55k miles, I took in it and the dealership contacted Mazda and they are going to cover 100% of the costs.

Well my passenger side started flickering in March, finally got around to taking it in, and they replaced it for free.

My 2016 CX-5 LED DRL failed on the right side last October and working with MazdaCustomerExperence it ended up costing me $260. Last week the left side DRL failed so we'll see how I make out this time.

Well my passenger side started flickering in March, finally got around to taking it in, and they replaced it for free.
I assume you got both LED headlights replaced without new car warranty?

My 2016 CX-5 LED DRL failed on the right side last October and working with MazdaCustomerExperence it ended up costing me $260. Last week the left side DRL failed so we'll see how I make out this time.
This's something Mazda really need to be fair to every 2016 CX-5 customer. Why one person can get his failed LED headlights replaced for free but the other has to pay hundreds?

Wow! Hold on to that dealer. Most of what I've read on here is people take it in to the dealer and get the full quote to get it fixed at around $600 per side, then call Mazda north american operations and get around a 50-75% discount. Getting it fixed for free seems like a rarity. Although it shouldn't be since LED lights are suppose to out live the car.

This has really gotten to the point where I see a 2016 GT with original headlights and Im like wow they havent failed yet? The new ones they replace them with are not as good as the original and you can definitely see the difference.

I assume you got both LED headlights replaced without new car warranty?

Yes that is correct. I purchased the car new in 8/2015, it currently has 73,000 miles on it. I did purchase a prepaid maintenance contract, but that only covers oil changes, tire rotations etc.

Wow! Hold on to that dealer. Most of what I've read on here is people take it in to the dealer and get the full quote to get it fixed at around $600 per side, then call Mazda north american operations and get around a 50-75% discount. Getting it fixed for free seems like a rarity. Although it shouldn't be since LED lights are suppose to out live the car.

I would like to, and will for now, but dealing with the SA drive me crazy sometimes. Also I did not have a prior relationship with this dealer before bringing it in for service on the headlight.

I called Mazda this morning and now I am waiting to hear the resolution. The representative made it seem like this wasn't their first run in with this issue. I appreciate their honesty, but with 26 pages in this thread, 70 exterior lighting complains on the NHSTA website, anything less than 100% coverage on this is going to fall short.

I will be in the market for another CUV come fall, and I want Mazda to be on the list, but this isn't helping... Don't make me buy a stupid Rav4...

Welp, I've joined the party. 2016 cx-5 GT, purchased April 2018 (2nd owner). Made in 3/15. 59k miles and my driver DRL is going out.... Seems that one been replaced before, as driver side is Gen C (flickering) and pass side is Gen H. I called 3 local Dealers and got some different answers. All 3 said they "haven't seen or heard of any DRLs going out," and all 3 persisted in asking, "Are you sure It isn't a bulb?" One place said I needed to start a case with MNAO and then they'd see about helping me depending on what MNAO said/did; the other two said I'd need to pay $140 for them to run a diagnostic before they do or say anything else. Probably going to start a case with corporate soon, see if I can't get this safety issue resolved. I think the Best case scenario for me would be to get 2 new headlights installed for under $700. I would rather install myself, I have no problem with that, but beggars can't be choosers!

Not sure what gen I'd be most happy with........ I think i would want the fiber optic ones as they are the brightest and best looking, but they lack in the longevity department. Do I have that right?

I contacted MazdaCustomerExperence who asked that I make an appointment with the Mazda dealer for a diagnostic report on the DRL and they would contact the dealer when the report was complete. I dropped the car off at the dealer at 1pm and at 4pm received a call back from the dealer to tell me MazdaCustomerExperence was going to cover everything bu $80.00 of the replacement.

Not sure what gen I'd be most happy with........ I think i would want the fiber optic ones as they are the brightest and best looking, but they lack in the longevity department. Do I have that right?

I have now had both original Rev. C passenger and driver side DRL fail. Last October the passenger side was replaced with a Rev. H although the service invoice says
KA0G 51 031J. I have an appointment week to have the driver side assemble replaced.

So my question(s) is, is the Rev. J revision the only revision that fixes the "Dim and flickering" issue? That is the problem I am interested in, I just want LED's that last the hundreds of thousands of hours they're supposed to. The other question is for my dealer which is why does the service invoice say KA0G 51 031J and the unit say
KA0G 51 030H?

Yes. But fiber optic styled LEDs should last as long as dot-matrix styled LEDs. Mazda or Stanley somehow screwed up the design or materials which makes the early version fiber optic ones failed too soon.

I have now had both original Rev. C passenger and driver side DRL fail. Last October the passenger side was replaced with a Rev. H although the service invoice says
KA0G 51 031J. I have an appointment week to have the driver side assemble replaced.

So my question(s) is, is the Rev. J revision the only revision that fixes the "Dim and flickering" issue? That is the problem I am interested in, I just want LED's that last the hundreds of thousands of hours they're supposed to. The other question is for my dealer which is why does the service invoice say KA0G 51 031J and the unit say
KA0G 51 030H?
Yes, the actual part numbers are different from the numbers on the stickers affixed to the LED headlights. My theory is Stanley the manufacture keeps using the old "H" sticker for the latest "J" version LED headlight. And yes, "J" version is the latest version which is supposed to fix the problem, although it also changed the early fiber optic styled LED DRLs to dot-matrix styled LED DRLs.

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years * (nailbyt)
Got my 2016 CX-5 back with a new pair of *J* version LED headlights replaced under warranty due to failed accent LED DRLs. Mazda/Stanley actually has changed the hardware design of the accent LED DRLs as my originals use fiber optic LED accent light similar to BMW*s *angel eyes*, but my new ones now have many bright white LED *dots* which looks like most other LED accent DRLs. Of course I like smooth and more expensive fiber optic LED accent DRLs much better, but apparently Mazda/Stanley couldn*t overcome the reliability issue with fiber optic LED accent light for some reason and had to change the hardware design totally. Now I know why the MSRP*s on newer *J* version LED headlights are about $150 lower than previous versions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218817View attachment 218818
Wife just got back and it*s raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018*):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218909

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218910

So your *H* version LED headlight seems to be the same as my *J* version after all. :)

Just had a 2016 behind me on the way home with a dim LED assembly on the passenger side. First time I've seen that.

Welp, I noticed the 'halo' part of my passenger light looked really dim in a reflection this afternoon, and sure enough it is flickering. So I came here and found this thread. Guess I have some reading to do. My warranty ran out about 6 months ago.

To those affected who have already changed the lighthouse,
What series of lights have they put on you? Do you notice any difference in temperature (color), luminosity, etc., better or worse?
I think they're putting series J, M and K.
Can any confirm this?
Thank you.

To those affected who have already changed the lighthouse,
What series of lights have they put on you? Do you notice any difference in temperature (color), luminosity, etc., better or worse?
I think they're putting series J, M and K.
Can any confirm this?
Thank you.
The latest version is "J", and people will get "J" version LED headlight assembly when they replace the failed LED headlight.

"J" version LED headlight will have a little different color temperature on LED headlights, but it's barely noticeable. However, the "J" version LED DRLs look different with dot-matrix style, whereas the earlier versions are having fiber-optic style which is also brighter.

The latest version is "J", and people will get "J" version LED headlight assembly when they replace the failed LED headlight.

"J" version LED headlight will have a little different color temperature on LED headlights, but it's barely noticeable. However, the "J" version LED DRLs look different with dot-matrix style, whereas the earlier versions are having fiber-optic style which is also brighter.

Thanks for your help.
Is there a video or photo of this?
I have seen putting M and L series headlights, but I am not an expert in are better or worse or brighter than the old ones.

He told me that the new versions L-M give a little more light than the headlights type C-D (which for my taste is a failure of the car, have never lit at night decently) and also do not flash when the adaptive lights change, if it is an improvement ( or a delay that we carry from the factory).

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.
Is there a video or photo of this?
I have seen putting M and L series headlights, but I am not an expert in are better or worse or brighter than the old ones.

He told me that the new versions L-M give a little more light than the headlights type C-D (which for my taste is a failure of the car, have never lit at night decently) and also do not flash when the adaptive lights change, if it is an improvement ( or a delay that we carry from the factory).
Are you talking about US spec LED headlights? Have never heard "M" or "L" "Series" CX-5 LED headlights. See post #395 above for version explanation. "J" version means the part number is ended with a "J". You can always flash the LED high-beams with AFS on US CX-5.

And here are some pictures from my "J" version LED headlights:

Yep the accent DRL on these J version CX-5 LED headlights definitely is much less bright than original version. The style looks the same, but the LED light source has changed from single or two brighter LEDs transfering the light through fiber optics to dot-matrix LEDs positioned directly along the light strip.

I prefer smooth fiber-optic style LED DRL too which looks much more sophisticated and costs more to make. Dot-matrix style LED light simply put basic round LEDs along the light strip which looks cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218824View attachment 218825View attachment 218826View attachment 218827

Back