Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Bought my 2016 CX-5 GT in December and driver side DRL is flickering. Dealership is replacing under CPO warranty. Currently at 44k miles. Curious if the passenger side was ever replaced or if it will go on me once the CPO warranty expires.

Bought my 2016 CX-5 GT in December and driver side DRL is flickering. Dealership is replacing under CPO warranty. Currently at 44k miles. Curious if the passenger side was ever replaced or if it will go on me once the CPO warranty expires.
You can check the part# and manufacture date sticker on the back side of both LED headlight housings and see what are they. If you have the latest version which is the "J" version, you should be fine although the sticker would still say "H" version. The revision is the last character of part # in alphabetic order (none->C->D->G->H->J) as there must be something wrong in any of the previous versions hence Mazda has to modified it again and again.

Those LED headlights sometimes look different in color temperature even if they're the same version. So if the sticker of your driver side replacement says "H" and manufactured in 2018 or 2019, it would look like dot-matrix LED DRL instead of original fiber optic LED accent light.

Wife just got back and its raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218909

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218910

So your H version LED headlight seems to be the same as my J version after all. :)

Pls, what version was the damaged headlight? Thanks!

Pls, what version was the damaged headlight? Thanks!

Just checked...Drivers side is KA0G 51 040C and passenger side is KA0G 51 030C. Both have manufacture dates of 09/2015. So I guess they are both original to the car. Hopefully I can catch the passenger side before it goes!!!

The DLR on the left side is dimming. No warranty anymore, and Mazda will not compensate the expenses for a new headlights because I've bought the car in another country (I live in the NEtherlands, my car is from Belgium). A new headlight via dealer is far too expensive (> 1000 USD). I can get a used one from a damaged car for about 100 USD. My dealer will assemble it for me.

I read parts of this thread, and the DLR problems should be solved in the 041J version. Is this right?

I now have a KA1F-51-040C. I can buy a KA1F-51-041J (H). Should this fit together?
Perfectly. Why are you going to buy a headlight ?.
No, later H/J version LED headlight on 2016 CX-5 looks different from older C version. You can clearly see it's dot-matrix style on accent strip LED DRLs for newer H/J version but it's fibe-optic style on C version. The color temperature is different between the two, and the light output is weaker on H/J version LED DRLs.

The DLR on the left side is dimming. No warranty anymore, and Mazda will not compensate the expenses for a new headlights because I've bought the car in another country (I live in the NEtherlands, my car is from Belgium). A new headlight via dealer is far too expensive (> 1000 USD). I can get a used one from a damaged car for about 100 USD. My dealer will assemble it for me.

I read parts of this thread, and the DLR problems should be solved in the 041J version. Is this right?
Europe has better E-code headlight and your LED headlights are different than our US DOT version. Your LED headlights have different part numbers but the revisions seem to be similar.

After many revisions (none->C->D->G->H->J) based on the history of US part numbers, looks like Mazda has settled for J version and so far so good.

Europe has better E-code headlight and your LED headlights are different than our US DOT version. Your LED headlights have different part numbers but the revisions seem to be similar.

After many revisions (none->C->D->G->H->J) based on the history of US part numbers, looks like Mazda has settled for J version and so far so good.

What do you mean with E-code?
So I can better choose for a C or D revision? Or replace both headlights with a J-version?

What do you mean with E-code?
So I can better choose for a C or D revision? Or replace both headlights with a J-version?
The E-code headlights (European specification) have better light pattern and cut-off than that the North American headlights regulated by DOT. That's why you see different part numbers between your E-code LED headlights and US LED headlights.

You definitely don't want older C/D version of LED headlights as their DRLs will fail in several years due to either a bad design or poor quality parts introduced (IMO, both). If money is no object, you'd want the latest "J" version which should have better longevity. If I were in this situation, I simply disable the DRLs as the DRLs are not mandatory in the US.

Do you know how tot disable Them?

How-To: Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Or:

For the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for 2017 and older CX-5s obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:

Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

But if your country requires DRLs such as Canada Mazda may have disabled this procedure to disable the DRLs. You can always pull the DRL fuse though.

But if your country requires DRLs such as Canada Mazda may have disabled this procedure to disable the DRLs. You can always pull the DRL fuse though.

Which fuse would that be?

Just checked...Drivers side is KA0G 51 040C and passenger side is KA0G 51 030C. Both have manufacture dates of 09/2015. So I guess they are both original to the car. Hopefully I can catch the passenger side before it goes!!!

Just got my drivers side headlight replaced with KA0G 51 041J. Just FYI to those keeping track. Cheers.

Just got my drivers side headlight replaced with KA0G 51 041J. Just FYI to those keeping track. Cheers.
Just be aware that the actual part numbers are different from the numbers on the stickers affixed to the LED headlights.

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯ (nailbyt)
Got my 2016 CX-5 back with a new pair of J version LED headlights replaced under warranty due to failed accent LED DRLs. Mazda/Stanley actually has changed the hardware design of the accent LED DRLs as my originals use fiber optic LED accent light similar to BMWs angel eyes, but my new ones now have many bright white LED dots which looks like most other LED accent DRLs. Of course I like smooth and more expensive fiber optic LED accent DRLs much better, but apparently Mazda/Stanley couldnt overcome the reliability issue with fiber optic LED accent light for some reason and had to change the hardware design totally. Now I know why the MSRPs on newer J version LED headlights are about $150 lower than previous versions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 218817View attachment 218818
Wife just got back and its raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218909

Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp

attachment.php

View attachment 218910

So your H version LED headlight seems to be the same as my J version after all. :)

True story, I meant to check when I got home but was rushed. Ill try to double check the label in the morning.

Correction, invoice states Rev J but part is actually Rev H. Has anyone ever complained about this? Seems like a major compliance, quality, inventory control issue to be selling parts marked incorrectly on invoices.

Correction, invoice states Rev J but part is actually Rev H. Has anyone ever complained about this? Seems like a major compliance, quality, inventory control issue to be selling parts marked incorrectly on invoices.
No the part numbers on invoice are correct and you can see those part numbers on packaging box (see pictures above). The difference is not only "H" and "J" but also "0" and "1". I believe Mazda simply reuses the old label with wrong part number affixed to the LED headlight, but only the manufacture date is legit. Yeah it's definitely a sloppy job on this, but this's no surprise to me. Mazda can't even make fluid capacities correct in its owner's manual and factory service manual.

Back