Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

  1. #151
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

    Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    Spoke too soon. My driver-side headlight module was replaced in Nov 2016 due to the DRL flickering issue. The passenger-side DRL has the exact same issue now and car is not under warranty. Have any of you guys had any success in replacing the headlight module for free outside of warranty? My CX-5 is still within the 3-year period, but past the 36k miles.
    See post #136 above. Mazda North American Operations covered 75% on the passenger side and now 100% on driver side when both times adgjqetuo had no new-car warranty currently at 65K miles. It won't hurt to call MNAO and ask for help.

    The other thing you should bring up to the Customer Experience rep is DRL style and color temperature matching issues. Your driver-side LED headlight was replaced a year and a half ago which definitely is not the latest "J" version as there has been 6 revisions on our LED headlights. J version LED headlight now features dot-matrix LED DRLs with lesser light output which definitely will look different than your older driver side replacement. Read older posts in your thread at least 3 pages prior and see more details.

  2. #152
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    See post #136 above. Mazda North American Operations covered 75% on the passenger side and now 100% on driver side when both times adgjqetuo had no new-car warranty currently at 65K miles. It won't hurt to call MNAO and ask for help.

    The other thing you should bring up to the Customer Experience rep is DRL style and color temperature matching issues. Your driver-side LED headlight was replaced a year and a half ago which definitely is not the latest "J" version as there has been 6 revisions on our LED headlights. J version LED headlight now features dot-matrix LED DRLs with lesser light output which definitely will look different than your older driver side replacement. Read older posts in your thread at least 3 pages prior and see more details.
    Thanks for this! I took it to the dealer today. They quoted $1750 and said they'll talk to MNAO and let me know in 2 days. Assuming they cover this fully, how do I take care of the mismatch between the driver-side and passenger-side modules? Will they cover the replacement of both? This is really frustrating

  3. #153
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

    Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    Thanks for this! I took it to the dealer today. They quoted $1750 and said they'll talk to MNAO and let me know in 2 days. Assuming they cover this fully, how do I take care of the mismatch between the driver-side and passenger-side modules? Will they cover the replacement of both? This is really frustrating
    You should contact Customer Experience Center of Mazda North American Operations directly. Mention that you have purxhased 2 CX-5's and, since adgjqetuo got free LED headlight replacement authorized by MNAO recently even though his CX-5 has 65K miles, use that as an example asking for free replacement. Also ask the rep about replacement LED headlights mismatching issues as the only way to match 2 replacement LED headlights is making sure 2 headlights are the same latest "J" version - meaning to get both LED headlights replaced with the same "J" version.

    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

    The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

    UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
    KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
    List Price: $1,059.36

    UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
    KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
    List Price: $1,048.88

    Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯

  4. #154
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You should contact Customer Experience Center of Mazda North American Operations directly. Mention that you have purxhased 2 CX-5's and, since adgjqetuo got free LED headlight replacement authorized by MNAO recently even though his CX-5 has 65K miles, use that as an example asking for free replacement. Also ask the rep about replacement LED headlights mismatching issues as the only way to match 2 replacement LED headlights is making sure 2 headlights are the same latest "J" version - meaning to get both LED headlights replaced with the same "J" version.
    The dealer checked with MNAO and called me back. They are offering to replace it for $25 with a 2 year warranty on the replaced part. Only problem is they're replacing the passenger-side with J-version and my driver-side has H-version.

    They were very clear that they won't replace driver-side with a J-version as that would mean both modules have to be replaced. I asked them to check whether they can find a H-version for the passenger side and they said they don't have it. I called MNAO today and was told they have a G-version if I prefer that.

    How different are G, H and J versions? Are these noticeably different (can you glance and tell a difference) or only very slightly different (have to look back and forth few times to notice)? I looked at the pictures from previous posts here and didn't notice much difference. Maybe it is more obvious in real life.

    Also, my understanding is G is probably an older version (older than H and J). If I have a choice between G and J for the passenger-side module, which one should I choose (considering driver-side is H)?
    Last edited by arunka007; 04-17-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #155
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

    Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    ⋯ How different are G, H and J versions? Are these noticeably different (can you glance and tell a difference) or only very slightly different (have to look back and forth few times to notice)? I looked at the pictures from previous posts here and didn't notice much difference. Maybe it is more obvious in real life.

    Also, my understanding is G is probably an older version (older than H and J). If I have a choice between G and J for the passenger-side module, which one should I choose (considering driver-side is H)?
    Check the part# and manufacture date sticker on the back side of both LED headlight housings and see what are they first. You want the latest version if possible, which is the "J" version, and the revision is the last character of part # in alphabetic order (none->C->D->G->H->J) as there must be something wrong in any of the previous versions hence Mazda has to modified it again and again.

    Those LED headlights sometimes look different in color temperature even if they're the same version. So if the sticker of your driver side replacement says "H" and manufactured in 2017, I guess it would look very close to new "J" version LED headlight as it comes with dot-matrix LED DRL instead of original fiber optic LED accent light.

    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Wife just got back and it’s raining. Here are the info of my replacement LED headlights:

    Passenger's side (installed 3/17/2018”):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-030H (Manufacture date 12/28/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-031J Unit (R), Head Lamp


    Attachment 218909

    Driver's side (installed 3/17/2018):
    HL Sticker states: KA0G-51-040H (Manufacture date 12/13/2017)
    Invoice states: KA0G-51-041J Unit (L), Head Lamp


    Attachment 218910

    So your “H” version LED headlight seems to be the same as my “J” version after all.

  6. #156
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Check the part# and manufacture date sticker on the back side of both LED headlight housings and see what are they first. You want the latest version if possible, which is the "J" version, and the revision is the last character of part # in alphabetic order (none->C->D->G->H->J) as there must be something wrong in any of the previous versions hence Mazda has to modified it again and again.

    Those LED headlights sometimes look different in color temperature even if they're the same version. So if the sticker of your driver side replacement says "H" and manufactured in 2017, I guess it would look very close to new "J" version LED headlight as it comes with dot-matrix LED DRL instead of original fiber optic LED accent light.
    Got it replaced today. The driver-side was replaced in Nov 2016 and part number is KA0G-51-041H. The passenger-side was replaced today with KA0G-51-031J. I didn't notice any difference at the dealership; probably because it was very sunny. Was stuck behind a black Tundra on my drive back home and noticed the J-version is slightly dimmer. When i saw those together, the H looked little blue-ish and the J looked more like white. Never felt H was blue-ish until now. Yet to test both at night.

    Interestingly, both H and J seem to have the same dot matrix LEDs. I can clearly see a line of LEDs in both.

  7. #157
    Registered Member

    2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    211
    Here's how it looks at night. Not as bad as I thought. IMG_9726.JPG

  8. #158
    Registered Member Gator's Avatar

    CX5

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Costa Mesa / Golden
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Do you mind to check part numbers on actual label on the back end of replacement headlights? My "J" version headlights still say "H" on the actual labels. See pictures in post #143 above.

    And I agree, the LED DRLs on original LED headlights WILL fail!
    Checked and both lamps are H (even though J on invoice) one was manufactured in 07/17 and the other 11/17, main LED colour difference apparent, DRLs are fine.

  9. #159
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

    Quote Originally Posted by arunka007 View Post
    Got it replaced today. The driver-side was replaced in Nov 2016 and part number is KA0G-51-041H. The passenger-side was replaced today with KA0G-51-031J. I didn't notice any difference at the dealership; probably because it was very sunny. Was stuck behind a black Tundra on my drive back home and noticed the J-version is slightly dimmer. When i saw those together, the H looked little blue-ish and the J looked more like white. Never felt H was blue-ish until now. Yet to test both at night.

    Interestingly, both H and J seem to have the same dot matrix LEDs. I can clearly see a line of LEDs in both.
    So you'd never noticed the difference when you still had original passenger-side LED headlight and "H" version driver-side ? Actually adgjqetuo has verify this in his case similar to yours that both "H" and "J" are using dot matrix LEDs for DRL accent strips in post #139. If you check the actual parts sticker on the back of LED headlight assembly, both of yours should say "H" with different manufacture date even though the box and invoice may say "J". Can you verify this?

  10. #160
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,921

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Checked and both lamps are H (even though J on invoice) one was manufactured in 07/17 and the other 11/17, main LED colour difference apparent, DRLs are fine.
    Thanks for verifying. It seems the actual content of "J" version LED headlight is still "H" version for some reason. There must be something different so that Mazda is using different part number between the two. Only Mazda knows why.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Similar Threads

  1. LED Daytime Running Lights
    By jaynh in forum Mazda5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM
  2. DRL's - Daytime Running lights
    By Applauso in forum CX-5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM
  3. LED Daytime Running Lights ?
    By david330 in forum Mazda3 How-To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 04:32 AM
  4. Daytime Running Lights
    By Falango in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 06:41 PM
  5. daytime running lights
    By 323CiP5 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •