Daytime running lights dim/flickering

One of the DDLs in my wifes 2016 CX-5GT went out. Same thing...the part retails at around $1,100 US, which makes it most feasible for us to get them replaced during the warranty company. Short of that it will not likely be long before you can purchase an after market unit online for much less. I recently replaced the headlights in my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and found a great replacement unit on e-Bay. The dealer price is over $1,000. I think I paid something like $300 for the set, but that could be wrong.
The best we could get is traditional halogen type aftermarket headlight unit with LED replacement bulbs. Aftermarket headlight unit wont support AFS function which may cause issues for those CX-5s with factory LED headlights and AFS.

So it sounds no one is having problems with the headlight itself, just the daytime running LED light that is failing? I am looking into getting a CX-5 in the future and if I get one with the technology package it would be nice to just turn off the daytime running lights if they fail, but if it is the headlight that is failing...that is a much bigger problem.
Thiss a better side coming out of this LED DRL failing issue. But to me thiss still unknown as LED DRLs are been used all the time but not the LED headlights. LED DRLs are failing earlier is logical as theyve been used a lot more hours. Thats why I wasnt happy to see Mazda uses LED headlights as DRLs in 2nd-gen CX-5, and only in N.A. market!

@integ3

It's technically the DRLs dying but it's a sign of a deeper manufacturing defect within the entire headlight assembly and not simply the DRL burning out. The LED DRLs even if run all the time shouldn't die so quickly, in theory they should give at least 5 years of life if left on 24h/day; the way I drive, it should last at least 20 years. This is definitely a design/manufacturing defect if DRLs are going out left right and center at ~1.5 years.

Disabling DRL would not be a solution for me as they do help in the cloudy climate I live in half the year.

Daytime running lights dim/flickering/failed

We can add another CX-5 to the list. One DRL failed completely after being dim/flickering for a little while, the other is still dim/flickering. Less than 40k km (25k miles) and less than 3 years old (thankfully this happened just before the 3 year warranty is up).

Dealer will be replacing with KA0G-51-041J and KA0G-51-031J next week (had to be ordered in). I will try to note any difference in color temperature and lumen output, but I suspect it will be difficult without seeing the units operating side by side at the same time.

yrwei52, are you able to elaborate on the expensive AFS alignment machine your dealer bought (post #87)? I'm not sure if my dealer has one, but I will ask if it's necessary to replace the headlights properly. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We can add another CX-5 to the list. One DRL failed completely after being dim/flickering for a little while, the other is still dim/flickering. Less than 40k km (25k miles) and less than 3 years old (thankfully this happened just before the 3 year warranty is up).

Dealer will be replacing with KA0G-51-041J and KA0G-51-031J next week (had to be ordered in). I will try to note any difference in color temperature and lumen output, but I suspect it will be difficult without seeing the units operating side by side at the same time.

yrwei52, are you able to elaborate on the expensive AFS alignment machine your dealer bought (post #87)? I'm not sure if my dealer has one, but I will ask if it's necessary to replace the headlights properly. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry to hear your failing LED DRLs but honestly Im not surprised to see more of this complaints showing up since the first one posted on 10/31/2016. We got lucky as our LED headlights are covered under warranty, but many others may not! Mazda should stand up and offer extended warranty on these problematic LED headlights, as theres already enough evidence that therere bad designs with bad parts on these LED DRLs for 2016 CX-5s, hence many revisions oh these parts!

As the AFS adlustment machkbe i dont know about the details when the LED headlights get replaced. But I believe its one of the steps outlined in Mazda Service Manual, and I believe every Mazda dealer should be obligated to buy one to be a Mazda dealer.

I'll add another to the list, she (My wife) was driving behind me today and I noticed the LED DRL had failed on one side. We're coming up on 3-years of ownership, so we're going to try and get it replaced under warranty ASAP.

I saw a CX-5 with OEM headlights the other with one side dim and other side bright, thought it was normal since the side that was dim also had the turn signal on......sort of like Audi's when they turn that side DRL is turned off, I guess I was wrong

just for informational purposes, the reason you see some cars turn off the DRL when the blinker is turned on isn't any kind of circuitry thing, rather it's a government regulation--they don't want the DRL obstructing the turn signal. There are some exceptions, such as distance and luminosity differences, but I think it's extremely ugly to see really nice cars shut their DRL off to do a turn signal--to the untrained eye you might think the DRL blew out!

just for informational purposes, the reason you see some cars turn off the DRL when the blinker is turned on isn't any kind of circuitry thing, rather it's a government regulation--they don't want the DRL obstructing the turn signal. There are some exceptions, such as distance and luminosity differences, but I think it's extremely ugly to see really nice cars shut their DRL off to do a turn signal--to the untrained eye you might think the DRL blew out!
Actually its the DRL regulation in EU and many other regions for safety reason you mentioned. Of course theres no rules on DRLs in the US.

Got my 2016 CX-5 back with a new pair of “J” version LED headlights replaced under warranty due to failed accent LED DRLs. Mazda/Stanley actually has changed the hardware design of the accent LED DRLs as my originals use fiber optic LED accent light similar to BMW’s “angel eyes”, but my new ones now have many bright white LED “dots” which looks like most other LED accent DRLs. Of course I like smooth and more expensive fiber optic LED accent DRLs much better, but apparently Mazda/Stanley couldn’t overcome the reliability issue with fiber optic LED accent light for some reason and had to change the hardware design totally. Now I know why the MSRP’s on newer “J” version LED headlights are about $150 lower than previous versions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

3C76FEFB-0A3D-4AB4-94C9-5403D31F9D74.jpeg12EDF603-E273-4660-8482-1BBF5923F5C1.jpeg

How about pictures of the new LED lights on your car, instead of the boxes? I'm assuming it looks no different from afar?

How about pictures of the new LED lights on your car, instead of the boxes? I'm assuming it looks no different from afar?
We just got our CX-5 back after the full rear brake replacement with revised calipers. Wife has it at work and I'll take some pictures whenever I have a chance. Parts packaging do show a newer "J" version been put on our CX-5 making sure the ones we got are not any of the 5 previous revisions.

Actually it’s the DRL regulation in EU and many other regions for safety reason you mentioned. Of course there’s no rules on DRLs in the US.

Many have repeated this. I have always doubted it.
Upon further research, this is not the case AT ALL. I just knew there was no way the over regulated United States of America would have NO regulations.... on... well anything they could regulate. 'Merica! :D

US REGULATION FMVSS STANDARD 108:
Each DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.
So, it’s pretty straightforward for vehicles with combined blinkers and DRLs. If a car’s turn signal and DRL are separate, though, that doesn’t mean it can necessarily keep its DRL on while signaling. It all depends on how close the two light sources are. In the “Spacing To Turn Signal Lamps” section, FMVSS 108 states:
Each DRL not optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be located on the vehicle so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm...

There are a few exceptions to this 100 mm rule for non-optically combined signals and DRLs, the first of which is:
(a) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 cd at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements
In other words, if the turn signal is very bright and the daytime running lamp is fairly dim, then the DRL won’t obscure the turn signal and it’s fine if both lights are close to one another and simultaneously on.

Text from:
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern-cars-turn-off-one-of-their-lights-when-1792394567

Actual reg:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

That explains why my Mazda doesn't wink out the DRL when turning.

Last edited:
Upon further research, this is not the case AT ALL. I just knew there was no way the over regulated United States of America would have NO regulations.... on... well anything they could regulate. 'Merica! :D

Each DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.
So, it’s pretty straightforward for vehicles with combined blinkers and DRLs. If a car’s turn signal and DRL are separate, though, that doesn’t mean it can necessarily keep its DRL on while signaling. It all depends on how close the two light sources are. In the “Spacing To Turn Signal Lamps” section, FMVSS 108 states:
Each DRL not optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be located on the vehicle so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm...

There are a few exceptions to this 100 mm rule for non-optically combined signals and DRLs, the first of which is:
(a) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 cd at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements
In other words, if the turn signal is very bright and the daytime running lamp is fairly dim, then the DRL won’t obscure the turn signal and it’s fine if both lights are close to one another and simultaneously on.

Text from:
https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern-cars-turn-off-one-of-their-lights-when-1792394567

Actual reg:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

Thanks for the details... I had my suspicions that there were such requirements but never bothered to look. This makes sense with what I see on the road.

So, its pretty straightforward for vehicles with combined blinkers and DRLs. If a cars turn signal and DRL are separate, though, that doesnt mean it can necessarily keep its DRL on while signaling. It all depends on how close the two light sources are. In the Spacing To Turn Signal Lamps section, FMVSS 108 states:

In other words, if the turn signal is very bright and the daytime running lamp is fairly dim, then the DRL wont obscure the turn signal and its fine if both lights are close to one another and simultaneously on.

Text from:

Actual reg:

Actually Jalopnik's article had been discussed a while ago. I guess what I should have said in your quoted sentence is "theres no rules on whether or not the DRLs is required in the US".

But have you looked at the front turn signals on Gen-2 CX-5? It's so hidden and dim while it's flashing, completely blinded by the bright DRLs with headlights on, especially the Sport and Touring where the additional driving-light-like DRLs just next to the front turn signal. I really don't know how that can meet US DRL regulations like you posted.

Actually Jalopnik's article had been discussed a while ago. I guess what I should have said in your quoted sentence is "there’s no rules on whether or not the DRLs is required in the US".

I must have missed that. The only thing I've ever seen is people saying the way Nissan's and others work the way they do was because of EU regs, and so thos companies then just didn't change that spec for the US models.

But have you looked at the front turn signals on Gen-2 CX-5? It's so hidden and dim while it's flashing
Not closely, no, but you also seem to think Gen 1 Touring turn signals are hard to see and I disagree. So I remain skeptical that the front are hard to differentiate on Gen 2. :Cheers:
I'll keep an eye out. I see a lot of gen 2's... just not from the front very often.

I must have missed that. The only thing I've ever seen is people saying the way Nissan's and others work the way they do was because of EU regs, and so thos companies then just didn't change that spec for the US models.

Not closely, no, but you also seem to think Gen 1 Touring turn signals are hard to see and I disagree. So I remain skeptical that the front are hard to differentiate on Gen 2. :Cheers:
I'll keep an eye out. I see a lot of gen 2's... just not from the front very often.
I had a write-up on Gen-1 front turn signals making them look like Gen-1 CX-5 in all other regions by disabling the amber parking lights with turn signals. The front turn signals on mine now are flashing in bright-off-bright-off instead of bright-dim-bright-dim fashion when the parking lights are on. But on Gen-2 CX-5 Mazda moved turn signals into the other side, inner side of headlights and DRLs. They're almost hidden at thier inner location, not to mention get blinded by DRLs. They're a lot worse than Gen-1 CX-5.

The US DRL regulations you mentioned actually was to prevent GM who was using front amber turn signals as the DRLs to save money a while ago.

Some auto makers don't offer DRLs in the US such as Nissan and Ford, so they have different ways to meet regulations of EU requirements.

The Rogue certainly has the LED DRL's. That's one of the most (garish) noticeable ones IMO.

yrwei52- I'd like to see some pics of the J version when you have a chance too. I know its just me being picky, but I've never really liked the dot-matrix style LEDs when used for clear white lighting/DRLs. I find the fiber optic style to look much more sophisticated. Probably why I've always like most of the Audi DRLs. So I'm curious to see how these look, both lit and unlit.

However, I don't mind the dot-matrix style as much for red tail lights.

I'd like to second that pic request yrwei52, I'd be curious how much of a difference there is between the two different styles of LED running lights.

Latest posts

Back