Daytime running lights dim/flickering

You must not be looking hard enough 7. I see them with one dim or fading DRL almost every week.

Might explain why Mazda was one of the only mainstream brands to adopt the tubular LEDs early on when they were mostly relegated to luxury autos leaving the dot matrix design to everyday nissans, kias, Subarus, etc.

Trust me, I'm looking. I don't miss a Mazda around here. It's almost obsessive. [emoji6]
Mine are H btw.

I have a 2016 CX5 GT with Tech Package (Production date January 2015) which I purchased in April of 2015. Driver's side DRLs went out in early August, with only 18,000 miles on the car, but outside of the 3 year warranty by about 5 months. I want to thank everyone on this thread for providing so much helpful information. I've contacted Mazda "customer experience" and started a case, and the dealership checked the car out this morning, so now I'm waiting to hear what, if anything, they will do for me. it is pretty obvious from reading how many of these lights have failed that there is a defect in them. No reason that LEDs should stop working after such a short period of time. If Mazda won't do anything then I'll just drive around with the headlights on all the time. Luckily I live in a State that doesn't have annual inspections. After reading this thread, if they replace just the Driver's side I'm worried that they won't match with the passenger side, in terms of color and brightness. Now that I've posted to this forum, I'm going to file a complaint with the NTSB. There really should be a recall! Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share all the great info.

Another 2016 LED DRL failure to report. Passenger side only. Given that US regulations do not require DRL's, I doubt we are going to get any help from the government. By the way it is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that would have jurisdiction, not the NTSB. This is especially so if Trump has put one of his stooges in charge of the agency.

Since I am well out of warranty, the best I am hoping for is the dealer will be willing to disable the DRL's for free, though if anyone has instructions for how to do that on a 2016, please post them (only 2017+ instructions posted so far in this thread). I am certainly not going to throw $1500 at this problem.

Another 2016 LED DRL failure to report. Passenger side only. Given that US regulations do not require DRL's, I doubt we are going to get any help from the government. By the way it is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that would have jurisdiction, not the NTSB. This is especially so if Trump has put one of his stooges in charge of the agency.
Yep, every LED DRL on 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package would fail. We can only hope Mazda and Stanley have resolved the issue with the new "J" version. And yes I doubt NHTSA would do anything on the wide-spread LED DRL failures as DRLs are not a mandatory safety device in the US. But I still filed a complaint on mine anyway.

Since I am well out of warranty, the best I am hoping for is the dealer will be willing to disable the DRL's for free, though if anyone has instructions for how to do that on a 2016, please post them (only 2017+ instructions posted so far in this thread). I am certainly not going to throw $1500 at this problem.
The procedure of disabling DRL function is the same between gen-2 and gen-1 CX-5. But for gen-1 2016 CX-5, we could also leave the LED DRLs on until they die. Nothing else would get affected.

Geez, I missed this entire thread. 2016 GT w/Tech checking in with 10/15 build date No DRL failures. No hazing. Only thing I did from the get go was turn off the automatic headlight feature probably within the first week of ownership. Did all you who had failures have that turned on?

Geez, I missed this entire thread. 2016 GT w/Tech checking in with 10/15 build date No DRL failures. No hazing. Only thing I did from the get go was turn off the automatic headlight feature probably within the first week of ownership. Did all you who had failures have that turned on?

Why is turning off auto headlights a thing?

My experience is that it would take a while for the headlights to turn off when they were on automatic after I turned the car off.

My 2016 gt tech headlights hazed within a few months of ownership. So I never experienced a DRL failure. But that certainly didnt help build confidence.

Of course I was also an early buyer; Jan 2015 build date. Purchased April 2015.

Replacements were still tubular design, not dot matrix.

Just do what I did....trade it in. When it was inspected they didn't even notice it.

They won't notice a multitude of sins when you trade. It's a great way to get rid of problems.
And a great reason to beware when buying used!

well mine driver's side started flickering at around 55k miles, I took in it and the dealership contacted Mazda and they are going to cover 100% of the costs.

well mine driver's side started flickering at around 55k miles, I took in it and the dealership contacted Mazda and they are going to cover 100% of the costs.
And you're a lucky one ⋯ :)

Gotta give Mazda SOME credit. No one has been forced to pay the full cost that I remember. I could be wrong so don't jump all over me again Yrwie for not rereading this entire thread. But Mazda seems to have stepped in a huge majority of cases to help people out of warranty offset the costs. HUGE majority.

Gotta give Mazda SOME credit. No one has been forced to pay the full cost that I remember. I could be wrong so don't jump all over me again Yrwie for not rereading this entire thread. But Mazda seems to have stepped in a huge majority of cases to help people out of warranty offset the costs. HUGE majority.
Mazda knows they screwed up on their LED DRLs. For such expensive components what the public image would become if they don't compensate the replacement cost? But I do feel MNAO shouldn't have differential treatment to its customers. Be consistent on compensation, not like one for $300 from owner's cost but the other for free!

Back