Daytime running lights dim/flickering

My driver-side lamp was module was replaced in Nov 2016. The invoice lists part number as H, but when I checked it today, the part installed is KA0G-51-040D. This probably explains why I didn't notice any difference after that replacement. Is D the faulty version? asking because, I am now worried, this module might fail again soon.

The passenger-side module was replaced last week. Invoice has part number as J, but the part installed is KA0G-51-030H.

There is a noticeable difference between the brightness and color temperature of the DRLs between H and D versions - H being less brighter and warmer than D. However, I did not notice much difference between the headlight brightness/temperature while driving at night or while looking at reflection of headlight on storefronts.

Any point in asking MNAO to replace the already-replaced driver-side module to match the passenger-side module, considering car is out of warranty?
Why not? It won't hurt to ask MNAO replacing your older "D" version driver-side LED headlight matching your "H"/"J" version on passenger side. The worst case is like you don't ask and leave it as is. Can you see the accent strip LED DRL on older "D" version LED headlight is made by a list of dot matrix LEDs or smooth fiber-optic style LEDs?

See Post #125 for comparison pictures.

Can you see the accent strip LED DRL on older "D" version LED headlight is made by a list of dot matrix LEDs or smooth fiber-optic style LEDs?

See Post #125 for comparison pictures.

Yes. I can see dot matrix LEDs on both DRLs. The D version is not fiber-optic style.

anyone know what the 2017-18 uses for the the style of LEDs for the DRL? I tried to find individual dot matrix LEDs but I could not-yet it doesn't look like fiber optic either since it isn't that bright

Last edited:
I've seen some people said their section of LED DRLs failed and the whole LED headlight unit got replaced. Yours is the symptom before failing. Well, it's Mazda and they don't offer the best quality and reliability from Japan. To me, Mazda's quality and reliability are hit and miss. Sometimes we'll see a batch of bad parts causing problems - i.e. certain batch of failed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmissions assembled in 2015. I wouldn't be worried too much on our CX-5 LED headlights as they should show symptom before 3 years or 36,000 miles if any of the electronic components in LED headlights is inferior. And in theory, good quality LED lighting should last for the life of the vehicle! :)

Well, I wish you were right about the LED DRLs failing before 3 years or 36,000 miles. On my daughter's 2016 CX-5 Touring, the driver's side DLRs failed at 37,000 miles while still within the 3 years warranty but the dealership refuses to pay for the repair. Instead, they are happy to repair it at our cost for $1,200.

I think you meant grand touring but the dealer should cover it under warranty. Contact your countries Mazda customer support and they will speak to dealer to cover cost. At most you should pay is $35. The dealer you work with sounds shady that sucks

Well, I wish you were right about the LED DRLs failing before 3 years or 36,000 miles. On my daughter's 2016 CX-5 Touring, the driver's side DLRs failed at 37,000 miles while still within the 3 years warranty but the dealership refuses to pay for the repair. Instead, they are happy to repair it at our cost for $1,200.
I was wrong by saying that one and a half years ago as I thought it's an isolated case when the 2016 CX-5's LED DRLs just started to show now apparently the design defect which eventually will fail at certain point. I had too much faith on Mazda's quality and reliability at the time, and I learned the lesson.

In your case you really should contact Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and urge them to cover the cost. There're many successful examples reported in previous pages that MNAO would cover the cost of LED headlight replacement even if the new car warranty has run out. Since you're in DFW you should try Town North Mazda in Richardson and they should be able to help you too.

anyone know what the 2017-18 uses for the the style of LEDs for the DRL? I tried to find individual dot matrix LEDs but I could not-yet it doesn't look like fiber optic either since it isn't that bright
Gen-2 CX-5 accent strips signature LED DRLs are indeed using fiber optic instead of dot-matrix. Brightness had nothing to do with fiber optic design. In Mazda's case it uses weaker LED light source transferring the LED light through the whole fiber optic accent strip.

I was wrong by saying that one and a half years ago as I thought it's an isolated case when the 2016 CX-5's LED DRLs just started to show now apparently the design defect which eventually will fail at certain point. I had too much faith on Mazda's quality and reliability at the time, and I learned the lesson.

In your case you really should contact Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and urge them to cover the cost. There're many successful examples reported in previous pages that MNAO would cover the cost of LED headlight replacement even if the new car warranty has run out. Since you're in DFW you should try Town North Mazda in Richardson and they should be able to help you too.

Thanks for the heads up. We bought the car at El Dorado Mazda so we tried it with them. Next step is MNAO and see what they say but thanks for the heads up for Mazda Richardson. Having owned many cars, including luxury brands, I think that all manufacturers struggle some times with equipment that fails prematurely so I do not want to be too harsh with Mazda. As long as they are willing to admit to their sourcing mistake and cover the repair for owners that are barely outside of warranty, I am fine with it. Let's see how they respond.

Thanks for the heads up. We bought the car at El Dorado Mazda so we tried it with them. Next step is MNAO and see what they say but thanks for the heads up for Mazda Richardson. Having owned many cars, including luxury brands, I think that all manufacturers struggle some times with equipment that fails prematurely so I do not want to be too harsh with Mazda. As long as they are willing to admit to their sourcing mistake and cover the repair for owners that are barely outside of warranty, I am fine with it. Let's see how they respond.
What was your response from MNAO? Here's my friend's situation:

⋯ A friend who took my suggestion bought a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech now is dealing with Mazda North American Operations and trying to get his flickering LED headlights replaced with new car warranty just ran out. He ignored my warning and didn't bother to check, now he has to face the consequence.
Friend just told me that MNAO is only willing to pay the maximum of $1,500 for 2 LED headlights. So much for those getting free replacement with warranty ran out. I checked with my dealer (the same dealer for him) and found out MNAO's cost is $1,898 for the job. Not sure if the dealer would charge more to my friend for the markup. In any event I thought even $398 is excessive, as his 2016 CX-5 with 19,500 miles was purchased on April 5th, 2015. And the failure of these LED headlights definitely is a design defect. The last 2 cars he bought new were a Mazda6 and a CX-5, now is getting another new vehicle. He said he'll never get another Mazda after this experience!

Called MNA customer care on 5/1/18 and was told that they will get back to me with an answer within 2-3 days. Called again today on 5/21/18 and was told that the previous customer care representative has left the firm, that he will take over the case and that I will receive a response within 2-3 days... Mentioned to him that I was told the exact same thing back on 5/1/18... So, be aware that in case the individual handling your case leaves MNA customer care, your case will not be picked up by anyone unless you call them. With today's automated CRM systems, cases do not just disappear into a black hole so it appears to me that this approach is actually a strategy Mazda employs to reduce the number of claims, i.e. hoping that some customers will not follow-up and drop the case out of frustration, lack of time, etc....

See my follow-up in this thread. Let's see whether the second customer service rep will actually follow-up...
Strange that the dealer didn't go to bat for you. My 2016 was under the time limit but over the mileage for the warranty. My dealer said this was such a common issue that they'd get it taken care of. I do know Mazda ended up covering it, but there never seemed to be an issue of "if" I'd be covered.

It really should be a full scale recall for that generation of CX5s

DRLs are a safety item that shouldn't fail like this.

Agreed. DRLs are a safety feature first and foremost but can secondly be aestheticly pleasing as well. The fact that Mazda is almost ignoring this and refusing to pay in some instances is disappointing. The ideology of being the underdog was a primary reason I chose this company for my next long term vehicle because I thought they needed to please and retain as many customers as possible whereas Toyota could afford to lose a lot of people through bad customer service but still operate just fine given their vast market share in the industry. Im not sure why its not a recall at this point. When Im driving and see a 16 with the tech package I rarely see the original drls and you can definitely tell the difference between the original version and the new one

Can you see what type of light you have while it's in the car, Yrwie? H or J or whatever?

Strange that the dealer didn't go to bat for you. My 2016 was under the time limit but over the mileage for the warranty. My dealer said this was such a common issue that they'd get it taken care of. I do know Mazda ended up covering it, but there never seemed to be an issue of "if" I'd be covered.
Dealers are not going to pay for the replacement cost of these defects made by Mazda but Mazda North American Operations do. I think MNAO were handling this situation with ease in the earlier days like you'd experienced. Now they're getting more and more failure complaints by 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech owners, as I believe every LED DRLs would fail, and MNAO has to tighten up their "goodwill gesture" on this as those cost are extranomical!

Let's say half the 2016/2016.5 GTs sold in the USA had the tech package. That's 50,000 Vehicles and a $125,000,000 problem at ~$2,500 set.

Can you see what type of light you have while it's in the car, Yrwie? H or J or whatever?
I can't tell too much difference on LED headlights with our new "J" version although some people with different versions can easily compare side-by-side and tell they're different in color temperature. But I seldom drive our CX-5 in the night as it's wife's DD. I definitely can see the difference on LED signature DRLs between original version and current "J" version.

Yep LED should last a lot longer. CX-5 owners with failed LED DRLs should go to NHTSA website and file a complaint. With enough complaints NHTSA should initiate an investigation and may force Mazda to have a safety recall. Although DRL is considered as a safety feature, but I'm afraid NHTSA won't care to force a safety recall as DRL is not mandatory in the US.

Back