Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Quote Originally Posted by mraub1 View Post
    AnoŻther 2016 LED DRL failure to report. Passenger side only. Given that US regulations do not require DRL's, I doubt we are going to get any help from the government. By the way it is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that would have jurisdiction, not the NTSB. This is especially so if Trump has put one of his stooges in charge of the agency.
    Yep, every LED DRL on 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package would fail. We can only hope Mazda and Stanley have resolved the issue with the new "J" version. And yes I doubt NHTSA would do anything on the wide-spread LED DRL failures as DRLs are not a mandatory safety device in the US. But I still filed a complaint on mine anyway.

Since I am well out of warranty, the best I am hoping for is the dealer will be willing to disable the DRL's for free, though if anyone has instructions for how to do that on a 2016, please post them (only 2017+ instructions posted so far in this thread). I am certainly not going to throw $1500 at this problem.
    The procedure of disabling DRL function is the same between gen-2 and gen-1 CX-5. But for gen-1 2016 CX-5, we could also leave the LED DRLs on until they die. Nothing else would get affected.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Geez, I missed this entire thread. 2016 GT w/Tech checking in with 10/15 build date No DRL failures. No hazing. Only thing I did from the get go was turn off the automatic headlight feature probably within the first week of ownership. Did all you who had failures have that turned on?

Registered Member

CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by korean_mazda View Post
    Geez, I missed this entire thread. 2016 GT w/Tech checking in with 10/15 build date No DRL failures. No hazing. Only thing I did from the get go was turn off the automatic headlight feature probably within the first week of ownership. Did all you who had failures have that turned on?
    Why is turning off auto headlights a thing?

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

My experience is that it would take a while for the headlights to turn off when they were on automatic after I turned the car off.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

My 2016 gt tech headlights hazed within a few months of ownership. So I never experienced a DRL failure. But that certainly didnít help build confidence.

Of course I was also an early buyer; Jan 2015 build date. Purchased April 2015.

Replacements were still tubular design, not dot matrix.

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; '18 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    My 2016 gt tech headlights hazed within a few months of ownership. So I never experienced a DRL failure. But that certainly didn*t help build confidence.
    Just do what I did....trade it in. When it was inspected they didn't even notice it.
    -2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
    -2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    Just do what I did....trade it in. When it was inspected they didn't even notice it.
    They won't notice a multitude of sins when you trade. It's a great way to get rid of problems.
    And a great reason to beware when buying used!

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD

well mine driver's side started flickering at around 55k miles, I took in it and the dealership contacted Mazda and they are going to cover 100% of the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by mingm View Post
    well mine driver's side started flickering at around 55k miles, I took in it and the dealership contacted Mazda and they are going to cover 100% of the costs.
    And you're a lucky one ⋯

Gotta give Mazda SOME credit. No one has been forced to pay the full cost that I remember. I could be wrong so don't jump all over me again Yrwie for not rereading this entire thread. But Mazda seems to have stepped in a huge majority of cases to help people out of warranty offset the costs. HUGE majority.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Gotta give Mazda SOME credit. No one has been forced to pay the full cost that I remember. I could be wrong so don't jump all over me again Yrwie for not rereading this entire thread. But Mazda seems to have stepped in a huge majority of cases to help people out of warranty offset the costs. HUGE majority.
    Mazda knows they screwed up on their LED DRLs. For such expensive components what the public image would become if they don't compensate the replacement cost? But I do feel MNAO shouldn't have differential treatment to its customers. Be consistent on compensation, not like one for $300 from owner's cost but the other for free!

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Yesterday I tried the 2017+ instructions to turn off the DRL's and failed to get that done on my 2016. Of course, it's possible I screwed up one of the overly complex steps, but it's also possible 2016's have a different method of disabling the DRL's. Does anyone know why we are having these failures? I'm sure Mazda engineers have torn down a number of these failed units and know which part causes the failure, but I've never seen a mention of that in this thread.

I need to take the CX-5 in sometime in the next few weeks for some routine service and will whine a bit to the service rep in the hope he'll get Mazda to authorize an out-of-warranty replacement--little hope there, though I have been a good customer of this dealer. If Mazda puts the turbo in the next year's CX-5, though, I might be thinking of replacing it with a new model. Though I still like the CX-5 it could use some more ponies under the hood.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

The instructions are the same. You just have to be quick at it.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/tech pkg.

I feared the day it would happen and it did, my passenger side LED DRL has just malfunctioned, it now is dim and flickers.

35 months old, 69k miles. Inspection is next month. Lets see what the tell me.

Otherwise problem free all these months/miles!
    My Mazda History:

2004 Mazda 3s - traded @ 97k miles.
    2008 Mazda 3s gt hatch - traded @ 89k miles
    2011 Mazda 6i gt - traded @ 72k miles
    2014 Mazda 3 gt hatch - traded @ 35k miles
    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD - current

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819