Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Yesterday I tried the 2017+ instructions to turn off the DRL's and failed to get that done on my 2016. Of course, it's possible I screwed up one of the overly complex steps, but it's also possible 2016's have a different method of disabling the DRL's. Does anyone know why we are having these failures? I'm sure Mazda engineers have torn down a number of these failed units and know which part causes the failure, but I've never seen a mention of that in this thread.

I need to take the CX-5 in sometime in the next few weeks for some routine service and will whine a bit to the service rep in the hope he'll get Mazda to authorize an out-of-warranty replacement--little hope there, though I have been a good customer of this dealer. If Mazda puts the turbo in the next year's CX-5, though, I might be thinking of replacing it with a new model. Though I still like the CX-5 it could use some more ponies under the hood.

I feared the day it would happen and it did, my passenger side LED DRL has just malfunctioned, it now is dim and flickers.

35 months old, 69k miles. Inspection is next month. Lets see what the tell me.

Otherwise problem free all these months/miles! :p

- UPDATE , was quoted $818 for a new OEM replacement + labor. Decided to trade it in on a new 2018, not sure if they noticed/cared during the trade in offer inspection. :D
I wonder , if the defective DRL would pass inspection?

Last edited:
Another one bites the dust. 2016 GT with Tech had passenger side DRL flicker and dim. Out of warranty with 46,000 miles. Dealer is contacting Mazda to see what they will do. Hope to hear back soon.

Update: 10/23/2018 - Extended warranty is paying for the replacement. Our dealer is ordering the part and hope to have it installed later this week or next. Now just wondering when the driver's side will fail.

Update: 10/31/2018 - Dealer installed new headlight ('J' version), extended warranty covered the cost, part alone was $1,050, plus ~200 in labor. Hoping the driver's side doesn't go next.

Last edited:
Mazda Customer Experience question.

If I were you without bumper-to-bumper warranty, I'd call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and seek some help as a gesture of goodwill about failing LED headlight before I spend $1,200.

I just purchased a used (2016) CX-4 GT with 38645 miles and then discovered that right DRL Was very dim. I send an e-mail to Mazda Customer Experience and received an encouraging response regarding possible after warranty assistance but must get a diagnostic report performed by an authorized Mazda dealership. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday but I am wondering if anyone else has had success going this route?

I feared the day it would happen and it did, my passenger side LED DRL has just malfunctioned, it now is dim and flickers.

35 months old, 69k miles. Inspection is next month. Lets see what the tell me.

Otherwise problem free all these months/miles! :p

- UPDATE , was quoted $818 for a new OEM replacement + labor. Decided to trade it in on a new 2018, not sure if they noticed/cared during the trade in offer inspection. :D
I wonder , if the defective DRL would pass inspection?
Since DRLs are not mandatory in the US, it cant be a reason not to pass inspection. In Texas the annual state safety inspection doesnt care DRLs. If the failed DRLs really becomes an issue to pass inspection for some reason, just turn them off by following the official procedure here:

Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

Mazda Customer Experience question.

I just purchased a used (2016) CX-4 GT with 38645 miles and then discovered that right DRL Was very dim. I send an e-mail to Mazda Customer Experience and received an encouraging response regarding possible after warranty assistance but must get a diagnostic report performed by an authorized Mazda dealership. I have an appointment scheduled for Monday but I am wondering if anyone else has had success going this route?
Its hard to tell. But so far Mazda North American Operations usually would give some goodwill assistance on failed LED DRLs from 2016 CX-5 with $0~$250 out of customers pocket to each LED headlight replacement.

Pretty much no one has paid full price.
Still can't believe Yrwies buddy said no to $400 for BOTH.

Pretty much no one has paid full price.
Still can't believe Yrwies buddy said no to $400 for BOTH.
Actually in his case its $495 for both. But considering his CX-5 has only 19,500 miles and 37 months old, I also think he got screwed by that particular customer experience rep and his manager at MNAO. Especially therere people got free replacement with 65,000 miles! I dont blame him on his decision, as failed DRLs wont affect anything, including our annual state inspection as I mentioned in my previous post, other than cosmetic issue. In fact its a loss to Mazda as he purchased a new Lexus ES instead of a new Mazda6 he originally planned while trading in his 2009 Mazda6. See, another long-time faithful Mazda customer who has decided to leave Mazda because hes unhappy about how he got treated from his LED DRL failure.

My wife's 2016 CX-5 started Thursday with the drivers side DRL flickering on Saturday the passenger side DRL started flickering. It has about 40,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. I'll take it to the dealer to see what they will do.

Since DRLs are not mandatory in the US, it can*t be a reason not to pass inspection. In Texas the annual state safety inspection doesn*t care DRLs. If the failed DRLs really becomes an issue to pass inspection for some reason, just turn them off by following the official procedure here:

Hmmm..........Is the 2016 CX-5 DRL issue just a U.S spec problem only?

Hmmm..........Is the 2016 CX-5 DRL issue just a U.S spec problem only?
I believe this issue is world wide. Weve seen several members here from Europe and Taiwan reported the same issue.

I believe this issue is world wide. We*ve seen several members here from Europe and Taiwan reported the same issue.

Boggles my mind. No widespread reports of the issue in other Mazdas. Glad my halos are bright and spunky!!

I saw the new Mazda6's DRL....man they were dim. Could not even tell if they were on.

Boggles my mind. No widespread reports of the issue in other Mazdas. Glad my halos are bright and spunky!!

I saw the new Mazda6's DRL....man they were dim. Could not even tell if they were on.
Japanese quality in general is not as good as it used to be. The LED headlights on 2016 CX-5 manufactured by Stanley difinitely are having issues in any revisions, A~H, before the latest J version. I believe one or several questionable electronic parts got introduced during the manufacturing which may be caused by bad design as evidenced by the accent LED DRLs on J version now look different from the earlier versions. Since its a bad design, IMO every accent LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5 from factory will fail sooner or later.

Takata airbag problem and recent emissions and fuel economy test errors from Mazda and Suzuki in Japan are perfect examples that Japanese are not as honest as in the old days on products manufactured there. Several major Japanese companies including Toshiba were having scandals on fake data on products resulted the resignation of top-level management personnel. Most recent example is KYB falsified data on the quality of its earthquake shock absorbers used in hundreds of buildings in Japan and Taiwan which would cost millions to replace.

Mazda, Suzuki Admit to Cheating on Emissions and Fuel Economy Testing

Japan orders quake shock absorber maker to replace parts after fake data

Not good. JDM stuff was and still is high quality gear. It appears there's much more inconsistencies than before.

Mazda Customer Ezperience dose help!

After contacting Customer Experience the my final cost to replace the right light assemble dropped from over $1,300 to $259. Still a bit pricey but better than driving around with a defective light.

Drum roll.....

2016 with 36,587 miles. Just back from a 3200 mile trip - took a rock to the windshield in AZ; rain pretty much the whole time, heavy at times. Blizzard in NM. While at the shop getting the glass replaced noticed the right DRL flickering. GRRRRRR! Posted an email to corporate yesterday. We'll see.

As an aside, is it just a coincidence that my trouble starts after an extended drive in inclement weather?

Drum roll.....

2016 with 36,587 miles. Just back from a 3200 mile trip - took a rock to the windshield in AZ; rain pretty much the whole time, heavy at times. Blizzard in NM. While at the shop getting the glass replaced noticed the right DRL flickering. GRRRRRR! Posted an email to corporate yesterday. We'll see.

As an aside, is it just a coincidence that my trouble starts after an extended drive in inclement weather?
No, it's the defect on design.

Is there any particular person at Mazda people are contacting to get a much less than MRSP fix for the defective DRL's or are people just sending email to Mazda's generic customer experience email address? It seems like the deals vary quite a bit and if I have the option I'd prefer to contact the most charitable of Mazda's reps handling this problem.

After contacting Customer Experience the my final cost to replace the right light assemble dropped from over $1,300 to $259. Still a bit pricey but better than driving around with a defective light.

Back