Daytime running lights dim/flickering

So I guess it would be safe to assume that if I had the dot-matrix style of DRL that they have been replaced? The first thing I looked at when I picked up my 2016 CX-5 about a month ago was the tag on the back of the headlight, and saw that they ended in 040D, and 030D. So I assumed that I was going to have to deal with this failing DRL problem. But looking closer at my headlights they are the dot-matrix style. I'm curious at what version did Mazda change over to the dot-matrix style and why were there more versions after the change? I think we know the fiber optic style is problematic, has anyone had the dot-matrix style fail on them?

So I guess it would be safe to assume that if I had the dot-matrix style of DRL that they have been replaced? The first thing I looked at when I picked up my 2016 CX-5 about a month ago was the tag on the back of the headlight, and saw that they ended in 040D, and 030D. So I assumed that I was going to have to deal with this failing DRL problem. But looking closer at my headlights they are the dot-matrix style. I'm curious at what version did Mazda change over to the dot-matrix style and why were there more versions after the change? I think we know the fiber optic style is problematic, has anyone had the dot-matrix style fail on them?
It's hard to say. Your CX-5 may have a later manufacture date which came with "D" version from factory. Or your CX-5 might have early failure on both and get replaced with "D" version. Based on existence of many revisions in a short period of time until the "J" version, it's safe to say that only the "J" version has satisfied the reliability standard otherwise Mazda wouldn't keep modifying it until the "J" version.

Yeah if the cost of replacement on these LED DRLs is similar to incandescent or halogen bulbs, nobody would complain! But now you're talking about $1,250 list for a single replacement unit of LED headlight for flickering DRLs! With labor Mazda dealer often charges $1,500 for a single LED headlight replacement on something which is supposed to last a lot longer than 2 years!

The only good news out of this is the list prices on latest "J" version of these LED headlights are cheaper now:

UNIT(R) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Right with LED
KA0G-51-031J (Replaces: KA0G-51-031C, KA0G-51-031D, KA0G-51-031G, KA0G-51-031H, KA0G-51-031)
List Price: $1,059.36

UNIT(L) HEAD LAMP - MAZDA CX-5 Left with LED
KA0G-51-041J (Replaces: KA0G-51-041C, KA0G-51-041D, KA0G-51-041G, KA0G-51-041H, KA0G-51-041)
List Price: $1,048.88

Hopefully the problems on LED headlights have been truely fixed after that many revisions during these 2 years ⋯ (nailbyt)

Flickering DRL repair mostly covered by MNAO

Thanks to this thread I was able to get my flickering issue resolved on my 2016 CX-5 GT by Mazda North American Operations.

I failed VA State safety inspection due to flickering passenger side DRL. Laws states that if equipment is installed it must be operational. Dealer quoted me $950+ for repair since my car has 44K miles and is out of warranty. Found this website with the information to call customter experience center Mazda North American Operations, so I did the next morning. Explained my problem and within the next few days received a call back that they will help me resolve my issue and will only cost me $80 out of pocket. I was able to make an appointment one week later for the new headlight installation and had the car re-inspected. All passed and problem resolved! Looks like corporate was able to provide me with an out of warranty service. Thanks again to this thread! Now I'm waiting for the driver side headlights to fail.

Well, good news for me too. I had both of mine replaced today for a total of 50 dollars! Not as good as free, but thats good enough for me. Mine also end with H despite the invoice saying J. Assuming those dates on it are where they were made, my right headlight was made 2019-03-13 and the left was made 2018-10-24.

My passenger side just started flickering today and is very dim. 41,000 miles. Will be visiting the dealership this week. Hopefully they will take care of me, was planning on purchasing a Mazda 3 next year once the CX-5 is paid off.

Well, good news for me too. I had both of mine replaced today for a total of 50 dollars! Not as good as free, but thats good enough for me. Mine also end with H despite the invoice saying J. Assuming those dates on it are where they were made, my right headlight was made 2019-03-13 and the left was made 2018-10-24.
Thanks for the info. $50 for both? You definitely are a lucky one!

My passenger side just started flickering today and is very dim. 41,000 miles. Will be visiting the dealership this week. Hopefully they will take care of me, was planning on purchasing a Mazda 3 next year once the CX-5 is paid off.
No, Mazda dealer wont do anything for you. They wont eat almost a thousand dollars by themselves. You have to call Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations seeking for help.

Yes 50 dollars (25 each). I have had all my service done through 40k miles at my local dealership and the guy at Mazda NA said that probably helped.

No doubt. You scratch their back, they'll scratch yours.

Welp, I noticed the 'halo' part of my passenger light looked really dim in a reflection this afternoon, and sure enough it is flickering. So I came here and found this thread. Guess I have some reading to do. My warranty ran out about 6 months ago.

Not quite 2 months later, and my driver side is doing the same thing. Disappointing.

Work schedule has been busy, but long story short, Mazda USA support is taking care of mine for $95. Dealer quoted me $1059, so I will gladly pay $95 to get it fixed.

Work schedule has been busy, but long story short, Mazda USA support is taking care of mine for $95. Dealer quoted me $1059, so I will gladly pay $95 to get it fixed.

I'm curious how are peoples experience with Mazda North American Operations, seems like a bit that is left out of most individuals experience with this common problem. I'm assuming the car is taken to the dealer and getting basically a repair quote for the full price to replace the headlight, then the number in the "contact us" section on the mazdausa.com web site is called, then I'm guessing mazda contacts your local dealer where the original quote was from then a discount is applied?

I'm curious how are peoples experience with Mazda North American Operations, seems like a bit that is left out of most individuals experience with this common problem. I'm assuming the car is taken to the dealer and getting basically a repair quote for the full price to replace the headlight, then the number in the "contact us" section on the mazdausa.com web site is called, then I'm guessing mazda contacts your local dealer where the original quote was from then a discount is applied?

I went to the dealer first and they gave me the quote, ~2k for both lights. They directed me to Mazda NA. I called Mazda and complained. They gave me a ticket number and sent me an email saying they would contact the dealer for information on the repair. I got an email saying the repair was approved for 50 dollars and it would come with a 12 month warranty. I then scheduled the service with my dealer who was already aware of the approval.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Mazda seems to be handling those light issues.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well Mazda seems to be handling those light issues.
I love my CX-5, and definitely plan on purchasing another Mazda in the future. But to be honest, if Mazda didn't take care of this issue for me I may have changed my mind.

I disagree. MNAO should have some standard to compensate those 2016 CX-5 owners who unfortunately have major design flaw on their LED headlights. For example, earlier last year a friend of mine his DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was not willing to cover the most and he had to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles. He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering, and he swore he'd never buy another Mazda although he had bought two. Yeah he bought a Lexus soon after.

Last edited:
I disagree. MNAO should have some standard to compensate those 2016 CX-5 owners who unfortunately have major design flaw on their LED headlights. For example, earlier this year a friend of mine his DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was not willing to cover the most and he had to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles. He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering, and he swore he'd never buy another Mazda although he had bought two. Yeah he bought a Lexus soon after.

You're right, they should have a standard. In fact, they should extend the warranty on those headlights for all 16 LEDs. Your friend got screwed, especially at 37 months. That's just bad business. Maybe they're getting smarter now.

My well out of warranty CX-5 (about 75,000 miles) lost both its DLR's over the last year. Mazda Customer Experience Center agreed to replace both headlight units for a total of $200. Given how many miles the vehicle had, I thought I was treated very fairly. I'm considering a 2020 turbo model to replace my current CX-5 and this reasonable response from Mazda will play a positive factor in that decision.

He simply let the DRLs flickering for a while until they totally died. He said he wants people to see how poor the quality is on his CX-5 with DRLs flickering,

Bad ass. He sure showed them! :rolleyes:

I disagree. MNAO should have some standard to compensate those 2016 CX-5 owners who unfortunately have major design flaw on their LED headlights. For example, earlier last year a friend of mine his DRLs started flickering at the 37th month and 20K miles. MNAO was not willing to cover the most and he had to pay $400 for both. He refused as there're many at the time got free replacement without warranty, some even had 60K+ miles.

My guess is that it started out as a trickle and then as we are approaching the 4 year mark, it started to become a flood.

Back